• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 1 Sells 22,000 as #1 Selling January TV Anime BD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Didn't buy this. Kinda happy because this would have made me PISSED.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Eh, so far it's only been Garden of Sinners with that astronomical a price tag. And considering the backlash that has gotten, I doubt something so ridiculous will be done for a series.
I thought TRSI sold out of them. Some backlash. Razz
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Madoka would sell more than Kara no Kyoukai at $400 over there. Ever seen the number of hardcore fans? I haven't, but they're everywhere. Easily up there with the Type-Moon ones, if not beyond; just smaller in numbers. As expected of Loligelion.
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
Eh, so far it's only been Garden of Sinners with that astronomical a price tag. And considering the backlash that has gotten, I doubt something so ridiculous will be done for a series.

There was backlash after the box sets shipped and upon arrival some of them were warped.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
truly good series deserve money so they can keep producing more of them. on the other note I could see Nisa picking this up since this is a niche title and it does fit into the demographic they sell to here.

You DO realize that a whole lot of people who bought the Madoka Blurays, and are not Japanese, did so BECAUSE they watched the fansubs, right? Oh well, your loss.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
Veers wrote:

There was backlash after the box sets shipped and upon arrival some of them were warped.

I think I was thinking of the backlash in terms of the bad PR the price itself got (at least here on ANN), not so much in terms of the defective box sets. And yeah, I saw that Garden of Sinners had sold out from TRSI when I made my last post... but wasn't there probably a very limited release run that was associated with it? If not-- if indeed a whole bunch of copies were printed, and it sold out so quickly-- then... well... consider me shocked, I guess. And kinda upset, then, what with how a "justified" precedent has been set in terms of prices of future box sets from Aniplex.

If I remember correctly, I think some board member was commenting how they were at a convention a month or two ago and while in talking with representatives with Media Blasters, they asked him/her about Madoka (perhaps exploring possible future acquisitions?). Wonder if MB has actually done something more than talk the talk since...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I was thinking of the backlash in terms of the bad PR the price itself got (at least here on ANN), not so much in terms of the defective box sets.

Half of the backlash at ANN was caused by a single user, so...

KnK sold out on the first day of its release, I think. It was pretty close to the release date, that's for sure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Dr. Osaka wrote:
Veers wrote:

I think I was thinking of the backlash in terms of the bad PR the price itself got (at least here on ANN), not so much in terms of the defective box sets. And yeah, I saw that Garden of Sinners had sold out from TRSI when I made my last post... but wasn't there probably a very limited release run that was associated with it? If not-- if indeed a whole bunch of copies were printed, and it sold out so quickly--

IIRC, 25000 were printed. Dunno how limited that is.

Animerican14 wrote:

then... well... consider me shocked, I guess. And kinda upset, then, what with how a "justified" precedent has been set in terms of prices of future box sets from Aniplex.

Blame the gullible Japanese otaku. Laughing

But then again, those same gullible Japanese otaku who pay obscene prices actually subsidize the lower prices for the rest of us. Without that subsidy, all of us would have to share the burden equally by paying higher prices. So.............. eh.
SunnyJ

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would love to see this anime come here; however, I don't feel that any american companies will be picking this up too soon. For anime series that are exceptionally good it tends to take them several years to finally decide to bring over here (be it money or lack of them seeing interest). For instance Angel Beats was great but took a year or more to be licensed... which likely means this will take a while as well.

On top of that with the more complex plot and dark tones for a "magical girl" anime I'm worried they will ruin it in terms of translation fail or what they add/remove to make it into what they think is popular here or due to legality.

As several fans of the anime I also bought the BD and unfortunately need to get it replaced; however, from what I've been reading they may not be willing to replace these for foreign customers (sad world we live in to discriminate still, but that's how their culture is). I'm with other posters here that are surprised that they don't add English subtitles on more animes (even if they are engrish)... even at the Japanese price tags I'm sure they would sell many more copies... that or I'm wondering if they think they'll make more money by the license fee from the American company... hmm.

Oh well, this anime has placed #1 in my eyes above all other anime... though I would have liked a more dramatic ending...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4