• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Namco Bandai Cuts Forecast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mokkori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
How much do you think this will up the chances of the Super Robot Wars games coming out over here?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
When we get Jump Superstars, Gaogaigar, and uncut One Piece (re. never)
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mokkori wrote:
How much do you think this will up the chances of the Super Robot Wars games coming out over here?

This doesn't really change anything on the consumer end. Banpresto has been a subsidiary of Bandai since 1989. Bandai has several small companies under its umbrella such as Unifive, Megahouse, and Sunrise. The only thing that's really changing is that Namco Bandai now has total control over Banpresto rather than having to run stuff by investors. This is good news though, they should be able to speed up releases slightly now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Low DS sales? I thought Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop was selling like crazy in Japan. I think over 1 million units...
Mokkori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Well with One Piece I personally think that it's going to go through the same thing as Dragonball Z. Meaning, you'll probably see uncut One Piece around 2008-2010(maybe Anime catgrin ).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Mokkori wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Well with One Piece I personally think that it's going to go through the same thing as Dragonball Z. Meaning, you'll probably see uncut One Piece around 2008-2010(maybe Anime catgrin ).

With our luck, more like the same thing as Gatchaman. Just another 29 years to go...

Unfortunately, even with Banpresto owned, the various subsidiaries in the US are still divided and would never agree to releasing those games, the same way Hasbro and Bandai refuse to share with America the awesomness that is the King of Braves GaoGaiGar.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Uncut One Piece and Gaogaigar are far more likely than Jump Superstars, which was a once-in-a-lifetime licensing nightmare in Japan and would be 900 times more difficult to release here in the US.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
The licensing of any of the Brave series has less to do with complex license splitting and more to do with property age, length, and the expenses required bring any one of the titles over since super robots (IMO) have the hardest time currently of really selling well. Truth is they probably missed their window years ago. They would probably have their best chance of gauging popularity by releasing a GGG movie or OAV and test the waters that way. Hasbro really wouldn't have much say over anything but merchandise and even then Hasbro =/= Takara and only toy molds shared by the two would be effected (of which there are none in GGG). What could be done effectively is for Namco Bandai to release the series and Takara USA handle merchandise (if it came to that) that way licensing issues would be no greater than those already existing and compensated for in Japan.

OK, that's really oversimplifying things, but it's not nearly as close to being as complicated of a licensing nightmare as that of Jump Superstars and Robot Wars.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sindwendler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
You know, I thon't really think being wholely owned by Bandai can actually help Banpresto. They still have to jump through the same check to get things done.

If anything, it could turn out to be worst. Being controlled by a parent company leaves more of a push-pull relationship. Just look at all the other companies that were bought out (Blizzard, Ben and Jerry's, and even IBM.) Every company wants to own themself, that way its easier to get licences and such without going through the higher ups.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, Banpresto was never really one for going after their own licenses. Nearly everything (if not everything) they've handled has also been done by Bandai. Just about every video game, prize machine, and toy they've done was as a counterpart to something that Bandai either owned or also had licensed. It might slow down their creative process when it comes to creating all new product lines, but probably no more than it seems to effect Megahouse which is consistently pumping out new products.

Emerje
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see, they're accrediting their lower profits to slower than expected sales of DS games. Well, it's their fault for releasing a bunch of not-bad-but-not-good games, with the only really interesting stand-out being Pac Pix, which sold to a niche market anyways. Now they have a perfect excuse to say that they don't want to explore DS games as much anymore, if they want to be bitter about it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Uncut One Piece and Gaogaigar are far more likely than Jump Superstars, which was a once-in-a-lifetime licensing nightmare in Japan and would be 900 times more difficult to release here in the US.

Yes, but the chances of it happening are still basically nothing. Can't deny that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about Gaoigaigar or it's situation, but I think One Piece could eventually get an uncut release. Eventually, 4kids rights to it will expire and they may allow someone else to do an uncut release or something before the rights expire as well if they think that will get them more money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1