• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I can't eat anymore?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
You're right, it is a joke -- one that plays off a comedic convention in Japanese theater and film. The idea is that excessive eating is somehow hilarious (think back to all those episodes of Pokemon where Team Rocket overindulge in food -- those are meant to be funny).

So, when a sleeping character mumbles "I can't eat any more...", you're supposed to imagine that in their dreams, they are gorging themselves. And this is supposed to make you laugh.

It's a cultural thing -- it's based in the Japanese idea that modesty, thrift and moderation are virtues, so the contrary is a breach of convention, and therefore fraught with potential humour.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 am Reply with quote
What? Hold on, The Super Milk Chan Show is anime???

That put a bad taste in my mouth
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:

It was already there.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

Now I just wish I knew the originator of the joke.

I was personally surprised to find out that Maya the Bee and Blinky the Koala were anime.

Maya the Bee? Well, that's another addition to My Anime list here on ANN.

As for the joke it's probably older than anime. The glutton is a comedy figure found in most cultures. What surprises me more is that so many children in anime wolf down vast quantities of food. In my experience most parents could only dream of kids happily eating whatever is served.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:

technically, it's animation from japan; so unfourtanetly yes. However, i don't consider it anime....for that same reason.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Kero from CardCaptor Sakura also does this joke line in his sleep, although on one occasion, he inverts the joke by saying, "No no, I can still eat more!" I've heard this line on numerous occasions as well, and abunai's explanation makes perfect sense...plus, overeating is a cause for divine punishment at times, like Chihiro's parents in Spirited Away (I don't really consider that a spoiler, since it's on the DVD box). And, in the 1979 movie Taro the Dragon Boy, spoiler[Taro's mother is turned into a dragon because she gets greedy (while pregnant) and eats fish intended for the other villagers.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
It's also said SEVERAL times by Usagi in Sailor Moon. Very Happy Gee, I wonder why? Wink
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
DELETED. UGHHH.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Fui

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, I just witnessed this consciously for my first time. I was just watching Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu, and Kaname was trying to wake up Tessa who said, "I can't eat anymore..." in her sleep and then Kaname said, "Stop mumbling classic sleep talk phrases and wake up!" I guess it is a popular "sleep talk saying," at least in Japan. It's not too surprising since Japanese people are pretty obsessed with good food. I'm sure you know how many cooking/food shows there are in Japan...it's really quite abnormal.

Well time to finish up the episode.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Wow, I just witnessed this consciously for my first time. I was just watching Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu, and Kaname was trying to wake up Tessa who said, "I can't eat anymore..." in her sleep and then Kaname said, "Stop mumbling classic sleep talk phrases and wake up!" I guess it is a popular "sleep talk saying," at least in Japan. It's not too surprising since Japanese people are pretty obsessed with good food. I'm sure you know how many cooking/food shows there are in Japan...it's really quite abnormal.

Well time to finish up the episode.

It was better than Nori in Rozen Maiden. spoiler[No, Jun, we can't! We're siblings................"] Shocked
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Heh, yeah. I have a child character with a huge appetite in a novel I'm writing (I'm serious about it; I have 95,000 words thus far). I wouldn't say she's a normal person, though. However, most of my characters are far from normal.

You know, almost every anime character that gorges themself on food is thin, some ridiculously so. They're all like me and are the kind that couldn't gain weight if they tried (I'm 5'11" and 110 pounds). How many people like that do you see in real life though?

As a result of the above question, I've decided that Bob Poundmax is [more] awesome. Smile

Gauss wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

Now I just wish I knew the originator of the joke.

I was personally surprised to find out that Maya the Bee and Blinky the Koala were anime.

Maya the Bee? Well, that's another addition to My Anime list here on ANN.

As for the joke it's probably older than anime. The glutton is a comedy figure found in most cultures. What surprises me more is that so many children in anime wolf down vast quantities of food. In my experience most parents could only dream of kids happily eating whatever is served.

======

It hurts, but you can't deny facts. Accept that some anime are just going to be different than others, awful or not. No law requires an anime fan to like ALL anime, after all.

NyuuChan wrote:
camelot187757 wrote:

technically, it's animation from japan; so unfourtanetly yes. However, i don't consider it anime....for that same reason.

How do you cross quote into other topics? Shocked

TIME PARADOX!
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Are you referring to him putting the quoted part after his response (bottom-quoting)? It's unusual and a tad annoying since the usual convention is to put the quoted part before the response (top-quoting). Not that there's a rule against it but when 99.9% of people use top-quoting the rare exception does tend to stand out like a sore thumb.

And while I'm off topic I'll respond to the scare crow who is an inch higher than me but two thirds my weight. The reason why some kids can seemingly eat anything without growing fat is partly due to their metabolic switch. If they were fed well during their first months in this world their metabolic switch will be set to "burn energy" for the rest of their lives. If they don't get enough as a baby it's set to "save energy". The body basically bets that the future will see similar availability or scarcity of food. There are also other factors such as growth rates, type of food and exercise that can influence how much children can eat without growing fat. Unfortunately, even energy burners can be overloaded with food and bulge out. Just takes a bit more effort.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
And while I'm off topic I'll respond to the scare crow who is an inch higher than me but two thirds my weight. The reason why some kids can seemingly eat anything without growing fat is partly due to their metabolic switch. If they were fed well during their first months in this world their metabolic switch will be set to "burn energy" for the rest of their lives. If they don't get enough as a baby it's set to "save energy". The body basically bets that the future will see similar availability or scarcity of food. There are also other factors such as growth rates, type of food and exercise that can influence how much children can eat without growing fat. Unfortunately, even energy burners can be overloaded with food and bulge out. Just takes a bit more effort.

But of course for the US you can add in the special factor (more like the #1 factor) for obesity: Fastfood. I don't think any preconditioning can beat that.

/Going on for over a year without fastfood. Fastfood french fries are so evil. >.<

/Besides, I get to eat homemade Korean meals everyday. ^__^

Getting back to the topic...

As for what abunai said, I think it's more of eating food as a form of pleasure, which becomes funny for the observer. In other words, I don't think the "eat food while dreaming" thing was "meant to be" funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3