• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation news from Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm mildly pleased...Funimation's been doing a good job on their series for a few years now...their main problem in my opinion is licensing weak series like Burst Angel and Moon Phase.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I've been waiting for Desert Punk ever since I heard asbout it on the release schedule here on the site but I had notiuced before that it was being listed as Sunabozu. I'm curious as to what the name of the title actually is. Is it Desert Punk or is it Sunabozu?

Desert Punk is the official North American name of the anime. In Japan it's called "Sunabozu."
Melazoma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Desert Punk is the official English title provided by GONZO, and is a closely-translated one at that.

suna: sand
bouzu: literally buddhist monk, but implies "kid", "kiddo", "punk" depending on the colloquial usage.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was anti-climatic. No FMA movie. No Black Cat. No Noein. No Mushishi. No xxxHolic TV.

I suppose if KgNE can get licensed, then Air can also. Hopefully, in alot less time than it took for this title to get licensed.

@Fronzel: Never underestimate the power of gothloli! Nekomimi mode! Laughing

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely fantastic news! I was expecting Black Cat, but this is much much better!

I've been waiting for a company to license Kimi ga Nozomu Eien for years. I was thinking that Media Blasters or Geneon would acquire Kiminozo, but FUNimation just did. Hm... oh well.

I just hope they gather a good cast.

No doubt this will be a definite gem for purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have to say I'm impressed. It's a step in the right direction for anime whenever any series that's not a violence/giant robots/fanservice galore series gets licensed. And with Funimation's recent dubbing quality on shows like Gunslinger Girl, FMA, and Fruits Basket, I have faith that they'll do this one right. I guess renaming titles for marketability/accessability is a trend these days (see "Diamond Daydreams," "Kodocha"), but most of these titles are apparently shortened in Japanese conversation anyway to things like "Kiminozo." As long as there's some reference or mention to the original title, I'll be satisfied.

So in closing, GO FUNIMATION!one! With KgNE being my #3 favorite show, I'll be buying these DVDs, and having it on 3 discs would definitely be a treat.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
No Noein.

See, that confused me at first, since I thought that was a shortening of the title in question.
But after looking at the encyclopedia, I can understand why they'd want to use "Rumble Hearts" to differentiate between the two.
Riza|Hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Melazoma wrote:
Riza|Hawkeye wrote:
this is my #2 favorite series.... its bad enough funi got it, but if they F&$k it up, i'll never forgive them

i think i can accept the fact its called Rumbling Hearts, but....

What's wrong with FUNi getting KimiNozo? Going by your username and if you've been following FUNi's Fullmetal Alchemist release, there should be nothing to worry about. In case you aren't following FUNi's release of Fullmetal Alchemist, get it. What FUNi delivers has been more than stellar.

Lately, FUNimation has been churning out nothing but quality releases like Fullmetal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girls and Samurai 7. All of them come with alternate angle Japanese OP/ED credits and subtitle translations that are sometimes too literal for their own good--the latter may be a problem to some, but that's one of the things the fansubbers stand on.

This is a release that will likely be on 3 DVDs given the episode count and the niche nature of the show. Rumbling Hearts will have my full support in preorders. Those that call youselves fans of this show have little to worry about and should buy the DVDs as soon as you are able to. I have little doubt that FUNi will give this release the attention that it deserves.

Also, Rumbling Hearts is the official subtitle of the PS2 port of the ero-game that the KimiNozo anime was based on. It's not that far off.

no no no, thereis nothing exactly wrong with funi getting it, and i think they did a fantastic job on FMA (better than most stuff out there)

also it will be a 4 DVD release (its the standard for 13 - 15 ep series)
Melazoma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Melazoma wrote:

This is a release that will likely be on 3 DVDs given the episode count and the niche nature of the show. Rumbling Hearts will have my full support in preorders. Those that call youselves fans of this show have little to worry about and should buy the DVDs as soon as you are able to. I have little doubt that FUNi will screw it up.

I think you mean you "highly doubt" they will screw it up. Otherwise you are just contradicting yourself.

Quote:
Also, Rumbling Hearts is the official subtitle of the PS2 port of the ero-game that the KimiNozo anime was based on. It's not that far off.

Yep. And it's on the front of their website too.

Thanks, I was having a lapse in thought. It's been fixed.

On "Rumbling Hearts", the link you posted is the official site for the PS2 port of KimiNozo the game. I do like "Rumbling Hearts" because one of the ED theme--episode 2, to be exact, when you know exactly what happens--is titled "Rumbling Hearts". Not to mention it's a lot more digestable than an un-translated Japanese title. I honestly hope FUNi gets some solid sales on this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation has decided to release the evil that is KimiNozo onto the American anime fan community? God help us all.

Granted the last couple of episodes aren't so bad... but it's mostly horrible.

I'm looking forward to Speed Grapher, though I'd be a lot more impressed if FUNi announced full boxsets of FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Melazoma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Riza|Hawkeye wrote:

...also it will be a 4 DVD release (its the standard for 13 - 15 ep series)

Quoted from AnimeOnDVD.com regarding the FUNimation Panel at Katsucon:
"FUNimation will launch Rumbling Hearts in October with a planned monthly release so the entire three volume series will be out at the end of the year."

14-episode series on 3 DVDs with a short release schedule. That is so awesome.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
well i didn't see that coming. i'm curious how they plan to draw people to this title, since it's so far outside their area. i mean it's basically an soap opera
Dream24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
this was not what i had expected.... guess I just as disappointed as the other people.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy about this. It was not what I was expecting at all. I didn't think it would ever get licensed. Absolutely. F*cking. Awesome.

darkchibi07 wrote:
FU*** YEA!!! FUNi, you guys are gods to me. Now the people here in the States can experience one of the most awesome romantic, drama series. Very Happy

Agreed.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I can see why the Desert Punk/Sunabozu would be different but the link in the the Releases section under Encyclopedia has always been listed in its "English" title. Ah well, I'm still looking to add this title to my collection of over 200 DVD volumes. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8