• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation news from Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crilix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
I meant that it's not mainstream in North America. Those are definitely hardcore otaku genres as opposed to common faulty belief.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The rep (who's name and title I forget but I remember that he's essentially a Quality Control guy) prefaced the opening of Rumbling by saying that whoever tried to guess the series was wrong. Boy, was he not kidding.

The rep was Lance Heiskell. He's not a QC guy, but rather Funi's senior brand manager. His job is to make sure that titles get properly handled. Everything from marketing & promotions, extras on the DVDs, packaging, etc....

Funimation has numerous brand managers, each responsible for a couple titles.

-t
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay. I'm such a moron with names. I said "essentially" because that's the impression I got from his description from his job. I knew that there was more to it than making sure everything looks good.

Brains shut down after cons, don't they? Embarassed
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
THE ENGLISH TITLE WAS DETERMINED BY THE CREATOR OF THE SERIES It's another one of those things I don't want to question.

Most people get that. But that doesn't change the fact that most still find it a bad title. And someone should have questioned it by telling them it was a bad title when they insisted it be used. Just my opinion. Wink Regardless, I'm photoshopping the covers to get rid of it if I buy this series. That's just a bad, bad title...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

Most people get that. But that doesn't change the fact that most still find it a bad title. And someone should have questioned it by telling them it was a bad title when they insisted it be used. Just my opinion. Wink Regardless, I'm photoshopping the covers to get rid of it if I buy this series. That's just a bad, bad title...

Ugh.

Something tells me that if the show were called 'Rumbling Hearts' originally you wouldn't be complaining at all and would like the title just fine.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred a translation of the 'real' title, but Rumbling Hearts isn't a bad title, in my opinion. The title of the ending of the second episode is "Rumbling Hearts" and I imagine the lyrics are quite relevant to the series as a whole.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I would have preferred a translation of the 'real' title, but Rumbling Hearts isn't a bad title, in my opinion. The title of the ending of the second episode is "Rumbling Hearts" and I imagine the lyrics are quite relevant to the series as a whole.

That's the problem, though; Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien might sound fine in Japanese but the English translation is pretty clumsy and doesn't really mean anything. It's an awkward sentence. I wouldn't name any product I'd expect to sell "An eternity that you wish for".
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe so many people are complaining about this title. The most important thing is that their bringing it to the states, I really could care less about them changing the title as long as they bring the anime over in good quality with a dub, sub, and unedited contents.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Now I didn't expect them to pick up 'KimiNozo'. I would have expected 'Media Blasters' or someone else. I'm pleased. I'm not a super big fan of these types of shows but I gave it a watch and it had me on the edge of my seat. Maybe because I could relate with it. And I was hoping that I could own it. Now I can. Hope that 'FuniMation' won't take too long getting it out. Mad

I'm really glad that this is coming out. Don't know if I'll do 'Tsukuyomi Moon Phase'. It was interesting and I did enjoy it but I'll have to think about it a little more. I already have stuff on my wishlist waiting to grace my shelves. There are just too many titles out there. Anime cry
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ugh.

Something tells me that if the show were called 'Rumbling Hearts' originally you wouldn't be complaining at all and would like the title just fine.

I agree. The people that are complaing are doing it just to complain. It needs to be drilled into their heads that this was the creator's decision. Write your angry letters to that person. FUNimation is just following orders. Hell, FUNi's going to put the romaji as a subtitle.

Now, I admit, Rumbling Hearts isn't exactly the most artistic title, but "Wish for Eternity" (or something similar) isn't going to win any medals either. Let the name issue go.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Ugh.

You'd be wrong. Very Happy It's sounds like a trashy romance novel to me, and I'd probably pass on the series if I didn't know it was Kiminozo. And I'd still hate it even if it was the literal translation. I much prefer, "The Eternity That You Wish For" and would be considerably less embarrassed to have that protruding from my shelf.
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="Joe Mello"]
Zac wrote:
Ugh.
The people that are complaing are doing it just to complain.

People always complain just to complain. But this is a bad title and deserves to be called such.

Quote:
It needs to be drilled into their heads that this was the creator's decision. Write your angry letters to that person. FUNimation is just following orders. Hell, FUNi's going to put the romaji as a subtitle.

Nothing needs to be drilled into anyone. They KNOW it came from the Japanese. Most people aren't even complaing to Funimation about it, or calling Funi bad names because of the change, they're just complaining in general. And a subtitle of the original title does absolutely nothing to make the hideous Japanese chosen title any better. Now, if they did it like the Japanese logo, and put RH in a small subtitle with the Japanese over top, that would be good. And yes, I'm sure there's some contract thing that says they can't do that. More's the pity.
Razz

I'm not really sure what it is about this pseudo title I dislike so much. Generally these things don't bother me much. But there's just something so bad about this one...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
The new title really doesn't bother me. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien sounds nicer, but that's just because it's Japanese (and it will be on the cover anyways). As for the translation, "An Eternity that You Wish For" or whatever, it sounds more poetic but Rumbling Heart still works for me.

I'm just glad it got licensed.
crilix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote

How about "The Eternity You Desire"? Sounds pretty good to my ears.
FlyingWok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
Regardless of the title chosen by Media Factory (and I'm of the mind that Rumbling Hearts or a Kiminozo-translation are both really clunky titles to say in English) I'm one of those that are glad that Kiminozo is just licensed, and that I can get a subbed/dubbed copy on DVD.

But the burning, burning question in my mind is whether Funimation got the rights to the two picture storybooks that were featured in the show and bundled with Volume 1 and 7 of the R2 release: "Mayauru no Okurimono" (the book Haruka liked) and "Hontou no Takaramono" (the book Haruka wrote). I'd give my eye-tooth for those books in translated form. Hopefully details about whether or not the books were licensed as well will filter through as the months progress Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8