• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Tomu Ohmi's Spell of Desire, Arina Tanemura's Phantom Thief Jeanne Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenix72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
well i don't know about the other but i know kamikaze kaitou jeanne is old like i watched the anime like 4 years ago old. and that was long after it finished airing. VIZ what makes you think you can make money off of something as old and unknown as this?
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Um? Because it's by Arina Tanemura? She consistently sells well and the CMX version of KKJ has been out of print for years.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:
well i don't know about the other but i know kamikaze kaitou jeanne is old like i watched the anime like 4 years ago old. and that was long after it finished airing. VIZ what makes you think you can make money off of something as old and unknown as this?

Because they've made money off of pretty much everything else Tanemura has written - Full Moon, Sakura-Hime, and every little odd and end that she put out. While Tanemura's art and stories does utterly nothing for me, she is popular with shoujo readers on both sides of the ocean and it make perfect business sense for Viz to license rescue the one series of hers that slipped through their fingers previously.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, am very happy that Viz will be republishing Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne. I've wanted to read it but didn't pick it up when CMX was publishing it, and I'd much rather own new books than old.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
So stoked about Jeanne. I will definitely be picking this series up when it comes out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:

.........you're kidding, right?
Arina Tanemura is one of the most beloved shoujo authors of today. Of course people are going to buy one of the top three of her works that's been out of print for so long!!

Me, I don't care because I have all the raw volumes...but good for everyone else who's a fan. It's certainly not "unknown".

4 years is old!? Lmao what do you call anime that's from the 90s, then?
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, double post, sorry! My phone went crazy!

Last edited by kel aka gandy on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
While Tanemura's art and stories does utterly nothing for me

Blasphemy. D:

....you've uh....actually at least read one all the way through.....right?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I have the CMX release snapping them up shortly after it was announced they were shutting up shop as an avid magical girl fan I wanted to be sure I'd get them. However I still glad it got rescued, Tanemura is really good at darker magical girl stories (e.g. Maron is not your usual happy go lucky magical girl she's got quite a lot of issues going on).

Personally I love Tanemura's backgrounds, clothing, pretty much everything art wise other than her faces which always look the same to me even more so than some other mangakas as often her characters hairstyles look similar. I mean I always thought Naoko Takeuchi's men all looked the same but her women I could tell apart, Tanemura's art - as pretty as it is - I can find confusing.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Time to rebuy Jeanne. Smile I was waiting for when they'd finally rescue it!

I'm kind of surprised (happy, but surprised) that they're pushing josei so much! I'll definitely pick up Spell of Desire. I loved Butterflies, Flowers, liked Happy Marriage?! #1, and I have high expectations of Midnight Secretary. Keep up the good work, Shojo Beat!
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Spell of Desire. But Ohmi is an automatic buy as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably pick up Phantom Thief Jeanne as well. I've become more fond of Tanemura's work than I was when CMX was releasing its print run.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
An out of print Tanemura title and more josei! Shut up and take my money!
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Tanemura isn't my favorite, but I remember really enjoying this particular title, so I'll probably pick it up so I can read it again. Smile I have a real soft spot for mahou shoujo. I don't know anything about the josei series, but I don't really like Midnight Secretary so I'll probably pass on it.
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The Super Manga Pals ANNCast at least made Midnight Secretary sound interesting, so I'll probably get the first volume from my library no harm done.

How close of an adaptation is the Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne anime? Even I could probably read 7 volumes faster than watching 44 episodes, but I'm lazy so I'd watch the series if it covered the same ground without too much of a quality drop.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Brainchild129 wrote:
While Tanemura's art and stories does utterly nothing for me

Blasphemy. D:

....you've uh....actually at least read one all the way through.....right?

Nope. I've read through the first volume of Full Moon, Sakura-Hime, and KKJ, and each of them struck me as being too visually busy for my taste and that storywise she's either throwing every idea she can on the page, regardless of whether it works or makes sense (like Sakura-Hime or KKJ) or is too full of melodrama for my taste (Full Moon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2