• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - What's Old is New

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
ss-hikaru wrote:
My friend lent me her Sailor Moon manga collection and I read the first volume, and...it wasn't very interesting. I was really disappointed, I was expecting a lot more since Sailor Moon is loved by so many.

Sailormoon is a series where the anime and the manga have very different atmospheres, especially later on. You can like one and not the other. The thing most people remember is the anime.

Don't think that I dislike the manga, though. I love it. It just lacks some of the humor from the anime. Oh, and I will say that it takes about three volumes to get good and the best stuff is the last half of the series.

Lol like a shonen title 'it gets better i swear!'*. I actually don't really remember much about the anime so I'm not really making comparisons. Ok, with your reassurance I'll give it a chance, and it's the ending arc I'm most interested in anyway. I'm really scared I'll break her books though, those Mixx copies sure aren't high quality...

*I really like shonen though Anime smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
I can certainly understand why the first person's question this week was about Hellsing Ultimate. I was really, really excited when Funimation announced that they picked it up after it had been dormant for so long, but that was the last time they said anything about it. Then on a recent ANNcast Taliesin Jaffe said that Funimation hadn't approached New Generation about dubbing it for them as of yet. I get what Brian was saying about things taking time, and I'd certainly like to think that they'd be smart enough to just outsource to New Generation on this one, but it also seems like the longer this takes the harder it'll be for them to do things like round up the cast members.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
Joanna wrote:

For what it is though, I think it's very reasonable. I think I'd pay five or ten bucks more a month to watch everything that's been licensed from anywhere, if I could. But as it stands, I'm not willing to pay much more than my $8.00. Why not more than that? Well, I don't like my monthly payments coming close or exceeding the purchase value of a full season of anime on DVD.

Wai- wha-, what purchase value of a full season of anime on DVD comes close to $8.00? Confused
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
With Hellsing Ultimate, Funi is probably waiting until it is actually finished. They could bring back in the old cast and dub episodes 5-7, but when 8-10 eventually are released they'll have to round them up again. It would probably be easier to wait until all 10 episodes are out and dub it all at once.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I wish someone would license the rest of Saint Seiya. I have everything past episode 60 in fansubs and the fansubs are AWFUL. I know some new fansubs for it are out that have a better translations so I might have to check them out.

Though if someones does rescue it, I couldn't see anyone dubbing the rest since the ADV dub wasn't that great to being with, plus someone else would have dub spoiler[Pope Ares/ Gemini Saga] since Mike KLEINHENZ is no longer among the living.

Even if it was just a sub only release I would be happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Saint Seiya when it was on CN's Toonami when i was a kid. Personally, if the quality for the original wasn't very good, they should do what Bones did for FMA: remake the show
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope Funi is serious about releasing the rest of Hellsing. It's been at least four years since the legal release of vol 4. I'm starting to lose patience here! And they'd BETTER bring back the original cast. And no, i don't see why they'd want to wait for all 10 volumes. Are there going to be 10 volumes? Besides by the time they finish dubbing 5-7, I'd think the rest would be about done.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
With Hellsing Ultimate, Funi is probably waiting until it is actually finished. They could bring back in the old cast and dub episodes 5-7, but when 8-10 eventually are released they'll have to round them up again. It would probably be easier to wait until all 10 episodes are out and dub it all at once.

I'm sure that's what they're thinking. It still means a long wait though, because I know that episode ten isn't even out in Japan yet. I don't see why everyone is so worried if they'll be able to get the original cast back together, though. I mean these are actors we're talking about. I figured they'd want any job that came their way Very Happy What I'm more concerned with is if Funimation will bring the original cast back. They say they will, but I'm just gonna wait and see.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:

I'm sure that's what they're thinking. It still means a long wait though, because I know that episode ten isn't even out in Japan yet. I don't see why everyone is so worried if they'll be able to get the original cast back together, though. I mean these are actors we're talking about. I figured they'd want any job that came their way Very Happy What I'm more concerned with is if Funimation will bring the original cast back. They say they will, but I'm just gonna wait and see.

While the actors might want any job that comes their way, they can't always take them. If they're busy with something else they might not be able to make it until later, if at all, and the longer something takes, the harder it is to track people down since they tend to move around. Granted, with social networking the way it is, it's probably a whole lot easier to find someone, even if you can't find recent contact info.

It actually does sense to wait until the last volume is done since the dubbing for the rest would get done far sooner than volume 10 given the release schedule. Plus, I'm sure it'd be a lot easier to get the actors to come in even if they aren't in the area anymore if they have a large amount of time in the recording booth waiting for them. But the fan in me would really like to see more now. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2