• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best fantasy/Medievil animes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opaquescum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
You know I think your right about the title. Damned screwy caligraphy on the box. I just thought the last symbol was a Y, but after close examination. It is 2 !! with the D sweeping with a down turned curve through it.

My bad sorry kitty.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
Are you looking for manga as well or just anime?

As for anime, Rurouni Kenshin deserves a mention, but Im not sure if it could be classed as fantasy, except for stuff like ippou-no-whatever it is that that jinei guy uses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
In spite of the swordfighting emphasis, Kenshin takes place in the late 1800's, so it isn't really medieval. At least in the western world the Middle Ages are generally considered to have ended in the 1480's or 1490's, depending on what you consider to be the event that put the nail in the coffin. I wouldn't classify Kenshin as fantasy, either.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry I thought that maybe if I waited long enough, someone would surely mention Princess Arete so I wouldn't have to (I've plugged enough Studio 4°C films by now to seem like a maniac). Alas...

Princess Arete is an absolutely gorgeous film set in a medieval backdrop. It has a very fairy tale/folk story feel to it, which sets it apart from much of the other fantasy anime out there. The story is unique in that while it does contain conflict between characters, it quietly focuses more on self-confidence and personal growth and discovering your own signifance, however small it may be. The film also features one of the most beautiful soundtracks in recent times (dormcat can back me up on this. Wink) I highly recommend it.

(FYI, my current avatar happens to be from Princess Arete--it's none other than Arete herself!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely rebuy Bastard!! if they would return all the heavy metal references. I was very disappointed when I bought the DVD and almost all of them had been removed (if not all...). Being a big metal fan it would be a real kick to see this as it originally was intended.

Those Who Hunt Elves may not necessarily be medieval but it is a fantasy world. There are elven sorceresses for goodness sake. Definitely fantasy. Its about three people from the modern world (all very different of course) that get stuck in a fantasy world and the only way back is to strip elves to find runes that combined, have the power to send them back. It is a comedy but most fantasy themed anime I have seen are comedies. I wish there were more serious ones and by the plethora of RPGs that have fantasy themes in them that are created in Japan, I am surprised that more anime are not based around these themes as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2