• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your least favorite DVD packaging?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your LEAST favorite packaging?
I am a spambot!
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Litebox
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
StackPak/Spindle
69%
 69%  [ 79 ]
Thinpak
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Digipak
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Alphapak/Book format
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Funimation Viridian Set
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Singles
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 113

zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Stack-packs. Whoever thought it was an excellent idea needs to be shot in the kneecaps. The one Princess Tutu boxset I have is a stack-pack and the holder/spindle makes it hard to take the discs out. I always fear of breaking the DVDs when I try to gently pop them out.

That's the only advantage to the first thickpack edition of Princess Tutu. Sure, the cover is ugly as sin and misleading as all hell, but at least it's not a stackpack
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd I have to admit I hate stack packs. I can't see any packaging company can think that this is ergonomically sound. Stacking disc on top of each other not a good idea. The surface can be scratched too. I bought a copy of 'Avenger'. It's not a stack but it's a overlap which is just as bad sometimes. The case was sealed and one of the discs was scuffed. I returned it and the 2nd one was slightly scuffed. I tossed it off as a case of how the packaging machine might have been off. That's if it was done by a machine or a person. Just to show you a stack disaster... We bought a copy of the 'Azumanga Daioh Complete'. Didn't even know what kind of packaging it had until I opened it and half the discs fell on the floor. Thank goodness I bought the original single discs. I also don't like the 2 discs facing each other because at times those discs come loose because they are reversed. Cutey Honey Complete, Rozen Maiden/Traumend complete, as well as others are perfect example.
XXghostface

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I hate the spindle dvd cases that sentai filmwork has been doing for a while. I miss the single DVD cases and the artbox.
derlugner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's a tie between the spindle and the litebox. It annoys me when I have to remove multiple discs to get to the one I want as well as when I want to put them back. I don't care if there are multiple cases, as long as DVDs or blurays aren't stacked.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to point out that not all liteboxes have overlapping discs. Their are plenty that use double sided flaps to avoid that. So your hate isn't for liteboxes, but the specific type of litebox that you happened to run into.

Just sayin.

All stackpaks are evil, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DifferentD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
stackpacks.. stackpacks... stackpacks!!

The first time I took out the 3rd disc of Clannad After Story I got a little crack in the center >< at least I'm lucky enough that it didn't crack far enough into the disc to reach the actual media..
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the items I have ordered to be sent across the oceans to me, a Funimation Veridian Collection is the only one to have arrived with signs of superficial damage. Its composition was to blame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Stack packs by a far margin. Digipacks and thinpacks are my favorites, but I honestly don't think the Viridian Funimation packing is that bad. Sure, it's cheap, but they are great values. If you want top notch packaging, don't expect it with the ridiculously cheap Virdian box sets. Most of them have pricier versions if packaging means a lot to you.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
interestingly I own some of every one of those except the stackpack, which I had to vote for. I would really try and avoid buying that way if at all possible too, I really don't like that.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I LOATH the stackpack. x.x
I own two: the latest Princess Tutu release, and the Full Metal Panic! Heavy Metal Collection. While the discs for Princess Tutu seems to want to stay on the spindle, my FMP! set has a busted spindle inside, so the first two discs keep sliding around in the case whenever I move it. x.x I'm so afraid of either snapping a disc or scratching them up.

Thankfully, I'm thinking of replacing my FMP! set with the hopefully better-sounding re-releases from Funimation, and will eventually find a way to afford and get a fitting case for Princess Tutu.
Lupin7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had one in this form recently but - Stackpack Evil or Very Mad I've broken (Snapped in half! Sad ) and scratched many disks trying to pop them out and dropping other disks everywhere... The others I don't find too bad Anime smile
tocahan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Definitely the spindle. I recently bought the Genshiken bundle fom Media Blasters and it came this way. Fortunately I have a stash of empty cd jewel cases and moved all the discs but one into its own case. This consumes more space, but offers easier access and better protection.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Oooh man, I recently encountered an alphapack recently (I needed to see the picture in the intro to look at it and go "oh god no!") when I got the Android Kikaider set. For a while there, they were pretty popular choices for complete sets, and my Masters set of Robotech is also one (my New Gen and Macross are both singles, but the alphapack was just too cheap on Masters to not get it), and I've honestly been considering replacing that stupid alphapack for years by just getting singles then selling the alphapack off. Ok, so at least each disc gets its own thing, but it's a packaging that is almost always set up in the most inconvenient way possible to get the damn discs. For four discs, you'll have three openings that take a bit of finesse to get the right one, and you always have to open all of them to get to every disc (trust me, I tried flipping the middle part so you only had to open two of the sides, but it wasn't designed to fit in there upside down, you can't even defeat it that way).

Basically, I seriously think alphapacks deserve more hate, but at least those, unlike spindle packs, appear to be retired.
GZA92

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not an anime release, but packaging for The Simpsons on DVD has been frustrating from Season 11 on: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/WorstPackageEver_Pic2.jpg
moonie92

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge I only own one stackpack, but it's one of my favorite shows, Princess Tutu. It's something I watch occasionally and it's such a pain to get it out of the case! Spindles are the devil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3