• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds D.N.Angel TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I certainly didn't see this one coming. I suppose it's a good thing that the series is back out there, though.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see Discotek this active, even for a retro title.
mix303

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
Well, I certainly didn't see this one coming. I suppose it's a good thing that the series is back out there, though.

True for those who are fans of the D.N.Angel series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
are they just gonna release the already dubbed/subbed eps from the ADV days?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Another ADV rescue to go with Crying Freeman & Princess Blade? Not bad!

This makes it their second TV series that they have licensed (first being Fist Of The North Star of course).

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
I thought FUNimation would get this! Either them or Bandai.

@ TsukasaElkKite: I'm sure they'll keep ADV's dub and sub tracks intact. Much cheaper than making new language tracks.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
May I be the first to say -- who? Smile

Never heard of this company before...
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Well, I already own the original DVDs, but this is cool. Maybe if it proves popular enough, someone will license-rescue the manga as well. I'm pretty sure North America never got volume 14, unless I somehow missed it. Anime cry
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Aerus- They've been around for 3 or 4 years now http://www.discotekmedia.com/ . They mostly do live action, though started out with some anime and have been adding lots of anime to their catalogue lately. They've released some Lupin III TV movies/ova's, the Fist of the North Star TV series and movie, assorted classic Toei films [Puss in Boots] and other vintage children's theatrical anime films [in bilingual uncut editions], and have also solicited dvd's for Project A-Ko, Galaxy Express 999's films [which weren't released on DVD here, just vhs, so it's exciting on that note], and Crying Freeman. They also released the Kamui/Aquarian Age live action movie, and the Boys over Flowers Movie [and some of the chinese language Meteor Garden tv series], among other live action stuff.

_V_ wrote:
I'm surprised to see Discotek this active, even for a retro title.

They've been putting out assorted anime releases and boxsets pretty steadily [Galaxy Express movies and Project A-ko'll be out soon] since they announced FOTNS, and had regular live action releases before that. I'm guessing this is an indication that we'll keep seeing regular releases from them, with an anime title every few months.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
Wow! They're re-releasing anime now!? Awesome! Very Happy
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think that this is really a save, since I'm pretty darn sure that Section23 has been selling this title along with most of ADV's older catalog. As such, I'm not really sure why Discotek would want to pick this up. It's definitely a great title, but it's been around a while, and it's been available. So, I wouldn't really expect it to make them much money. But maybe promotions for their release of it will increase its sales and make it so that it was worth it to Discotek to pick it up.

In either case, at least it's still available for those who haven't picked it up yet, regardless of who's releasing it. Still, I find this license acquisition to be a bit odd.
opn

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
d*** it i was hoping funi would get this since a blu ray release would work so well. Sad
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
To be honest, this title seems very out-of-character for Discotek. It's neither very retro, nor is it superviolent. Oh well, more power to ya, man! Diversify!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
Huh. Can't say I saw that coming.

Speaking of ADV and XEBEC, I wonder what the status of the Martian Successor Nadesico license is. There's a title I'd love to see get a BD release in the U.S. at some point the near future, or at least a new DVD version that hasn't been scrubbed of every bit of on-screen Japanese!
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Speaking of ADV and XEBEC, I wonder what the status of the Martian Successor Nadesico license is. There's a title I'd love to see get a BD release in the U.S. at some point the near future, or at least a new DVD version that hasn't been scrubbed of every bit of on-screen Japanese!

I could've sworn they only had a problem with this sort of thing in the initial DVD release. The Anime Selects (or whatever) 2-pk sets and the thinpak boxset release right before ADV went down had-- or so I thought--all the Japanese text intact except for the OP and ED (standard ADV practice).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3