• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - The Konquistador

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
him61

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
*as I haven't yet seen Madoca Magica Puella Whatever, did he actually do anything different in it? Because the last six things I saw by him were basically using the same set of tricks over and over again.

He let somebody who is actually good at writing do the story and script. (Gen Urobuchi) It also had a huge budget.

On the note of people not knowing much about the creators, I do agree that most people simply do not want to know. They either think that the information is tedious and boring, or they think that knowing about the industry or the process would lessen their enjoyment of shows. Both of which are not the case with me, so I get as familiar as I can with each production that I watch.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
him61 wrote:
On the note of people not knowing much about the creators, I do agree that most people simply do not want to know. They either think that the information is tedious and boring, or they think that knowing about the industry or the process would lessen their enjoyment of shows. Both of which are not the case with me, so I get as familiar as I can with each production that I watch.

It is said that there are two types of people. One type is creator and other is consumer. People who simply consume will not understand the value because they never knew the deficiency. On the other hand, some people who appreciate the process because either they never had enough or they went through remotely similar situations.

We lack appreciation on certain things because we assume about things that we don't know. We do admire products resulted from creators' craftsmanship. We tend to put them on the pedestal so that we can worship. Those things also make creators distant and unattainable.

Come to think of it, we the fans rarely humanized anime creators as the same level as us. They have families; some of them have children; they go through life's problems like we do. Only difference between us and them is that they have jobs that make cartoons to entertain us. Reality is stranger than fiction, right?

When I read anime creator interviews that talk about actual events, they're fascinating. For Perfect Blue, Hiroyuki Morita (dir. The cat returns), who animated beginning dance sequence, Kon hilariously describes the process. Morita danced like teen idol to get that dance movement right, even though he had video reference. For something sad, animation supervisor Hideki Hamasu still had to draw thousands of sheets while suffering severe tendonitis that makes him to stop frequently. To me, those stories are just as interesting as the movie itself. They don't sound like far-fetched fiction at all. People suffer tendonitis because they type too much. People do rehearsals, so that they could perform well in front of their audience. They have untold stories that all of us can relate one way or the other.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Nephtis wrote:
Quote:
And if the movie sucks, knowing how things should work on a more technical level will give you the ammunition you'll need to explain to your friends why that director should never be allowed behind a camera ever again.

See and this is great - if I've learnt anything in my cinema major it's "you'll never be bored watching a bad movie again". (Not that you'll never think a movie sucks every again.) You get to pick it apart on a new level as to why it's so bad. Then again maybe you're better off forgetting it entirely sometimes...

Hahaha, I am like the only one in my classes (High School) that starts giving a huge list of why the movie sucks. I am glad that it is something I was able to learn to do Very Happy

Oh and in my school I made the Animation Film Club, because kids (high schoolers) these day just enjoy anime films for fun but do not remember the director's name or give him the respect he deserves for working so hard.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:

Oh and in my school I made the Animation Film Club, because kids (high schoolers) these day just enjoy anime films for fun but do not remember the director's name or give him the respect he deserves for working so hard.

Anime has become a commodity, as anything that becomes widespread. Laughing
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
We are in the age not just of mechanical reproduction, but completely electronic reproduction.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I was shocked to read the results of the Anime World Order poll. I would've sworn that Satoshi Kon would have been mentioned at the very least, especially with his passing last year.

Thanks to the article, I decided to see if my local library system had a copy of Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist. Sure enough, the catalog shows four copies in the system, and all are currently available. So I've placed a hold on it, and hopefully I'll be reading it soon.

I also decided to see if Brian Ruh's book about Mamoru Oshii was in my local library system. Sadly, it is not. Sad

EDITED TO ADD: My husband suggested that I put in a purchase request in to our library system to Brian's book. I just submitted it, but I don't know if my library system will actually purchase it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
petran79

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Unlike in film though, anime directors like Oshii and Takahata do not have a degree in arts or animation. Yet with the help of animators they are able to create masterpieces. Also there is a difference between a simple director and an auteur who has complete control of the production, like the WMT titles directed by Takahata. This was probably the reason they had such high quality and unique narrative, unlikely to be repeated.

My favourite director remains probably Hisayuki Toriumi, the mentor of Mamoru Oshii and who is behind masterpieces as Cities of Gold, Area 88 ova and Nils Holgersson.

Also Nippon Animation directors of the 70s and 80s as well as Dezaki Osamu older works. I prefer also Miyazakis pre-nausicaa works and nausicaa too, though ghibili films are also great. Without the great animators, some of which turned directors, no director would have taken credit.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I plan on buying this book. I have see all of his films and plan on going to the movies once his final movie is finished. I have yet to see Paranoia Agent but I have heard good things about it and would love to buy it. It's sad that he died at a young age. I get depressed thinking about what other wonderful stories he had in mind that we will never see. Great write up.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Osmond's book is a great resource as far as being a compendium of English-language information about Satoshi Kon. When I was putting together my Satoshi Kon memorial panel, I ended up checking online for articles, watching DVD interviews and behind-the-scenes features, and so on. This isn't very different from what Andrew Osmond did in constructing his book, with the notable exception being that he personally interviewed Satoshi Kon on a number of occasions. I think this should be taken as inspiration; there's not a massive world of difference between what we as fans do for personal research and what published authors do! Makes you think "why, if I had a smidge more drive and insight, perhaps I could be the one writing a book!" for a moment, doesn't it?

HJSoulma wrote:
I have to say this article makes me a little upset-- I thought basically any average anime fan would know at least Kon, Oshii and Otomo. I mean, unless it was write-in, why were Oda and CLAMP even choices on a favorite directors survey...? o__o *sigh*

I think you're misunderstanding. The polling we conducted was not multiple-choice or write-in. It was not even online, because an online poll would bias the results in favor of "anime fans who are inclined to go online and read or post about it on a dedicated anime site." I know it may seem hard to believe, but the majority of anime fans in the US don't do this.

No; we just conducted informal, un-scientific vox populi polling at anime clubs and conventions. (This is still imperfect, but where else are you going to find several professed anime fans if not clubs and cons?) Of the several people we asked to name an anime director, the most popular answer next to Hayao Miyazaki was "I don't know any," and enough people replied with non-director answers like "CLAMP" or "Eiichiro Oda" such that they were the next most popular responses. Very, VERY few people were able to name guys like Satoshi Kon or Mamoru Oshii. Despite his huge popularity among anime bloggers, I think we found absolutely nobody that named online otaku darling Akiyuki Shimbo.

The general conclusion to be drawn is that unlike fans of most other forms of media (books, movies, and the like), most anime fans have a pretty avowed disinterest in who made the cartoons they watch and love or wrote the comics they read. I understand why; most of the ways in which people watch anime or read manga don't include translations of the staff credits. But it carries over into commercial titles, too. I once went to a theater screening of the original Ghost in the Shell movie and was the only person who knew that Mamoru Oshii directed the film. For crying out loud, the opening credits to that movie are in English!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the starkest indicators of the gulf between Japanese and English-language fandom is that the Japanese Wikipedia's articles on anime series have tables detailing whom is the screenwriter, storyboarder, director and animation director of each episode (see that on Kūchū Buranko for a, perhaps overly-complex, example); equivalent tables of the English version typically contain none of these and instead over-detailed summaries of the plot of each episode (such as that for the same series). Confused
petran79

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
I think one of the starkest indicators of the gulf between Japanese and English-language fandom is that the Japanese Wikipedia's articles on anime series have tables detailing whom is the screenwriter, storyboarder, director and animation director of each episode (see that on Kūchū Buranko for a, perhaps overly-complex, example); equivalent tables of the English version typically contain none of these and instead over-detailed summaries of the plot of each episode (such as that for the same series). Confused

Though i've read comments of how japanese fans were surprised that western fans knew about japanese animators much more than japanese themselves.also there are voices not particularly fond of foreigners meddling in anime.

In contrast, western anime fans are more open minded regarding animation outside japan than japanese anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2