• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Oscar Glory for Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: If Herbie's any indication, Lasseter's gonna be in for a big disappointment.

Yes, because if one car movie does badly, then it follows that every other car movie from now until the end of time will do badly, as well.

Pixar has reached the point where its name alone is enough to sell a movie. They could bring out a movie called "A MOVIE," the poster would have no artwork and there'd be no publicity telling us what it's about, and it would still make huge bank its first weekend because it's Pixar.

GATSU wrote:
slick: It's a joke, because Over The Hedge has a similar premise to Pom Poko.

From the trailer I saw, Over the Hedge looks Hoodwinked-level awful. I'm really getting tired of every studio thinking they can make a billion dollars by making a CGI movie where a few wacky animals played by famous actors shout catch phrases at each other for ninety minutes. And considering how terribly Doogal did (it opened in 7th place..that's pathetic) it looks like audiances are getting sick of it too.

I'd put money on Tenchi's prediction. Cars will win in '07.
jon_a_ross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with this, Cars is not going to be one of the better movies out of pixar/disney. No one is really behind this one.
I don't know about your other thoughts on Princess Monoke being over rated. I really liked it, much more then Howl's moving castle and Wallice and Gromit. But I think that Creature Comferts was one of the best works from that animator.

But then again, the oscars are all about popularity and not actual technical ability, so anything is possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: If Herbie's any indication, Lasseter's gonna be in for a big disappointment.

Yes, because if one car movie does badly, then it follows that every other car movie from now until the end of time will do badly, as well.

Someone has forgotten The Fast and the Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Oh, but we're just gonna ignore such movies like Torque and Initial D.
z7q2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
jon_a_ross wrote:
But then again, the oscars are all about popularity and not actual technical ability, so anything is possible.

Actually, the Oscars are all about popularity within the small group of people who make movies for a living, where cronyism and nostalgia have as much weight as popularity. Box office success != high chance of Oscar, not by a long shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad Wallace & Gromit won, even though I'm a Ghibli fan and enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle. Each to their own but I hope those who hate Wallace & Gromit will get round to actually seeing it one day and enjoying it for what it is.

Even Miyazaki enjoys Wallace and Gromit.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
It's disappointing that Howl's Moving Castle lost since it's my favorite Miyazaki film, but it's not really surprising. The critics all gave Howl's Moving Castle negative reviews and if the critics didn't like a movie, you know it's not going to have chance of winning. For those saying that winning the Oscar doesn't mean anything and that we should be happy with just a nomination, winning might not mean something on an individual level, but just watch what's going to happen when you try to recommend other people to watch Howl's Moving Castle. You tell them "it was nonimated for an Academy Award" and while that sounds pretty impressive to say, at the end of the day it won't matter because the person you're trying to recommend a movie to will say in response "but did it WIN any Oscars? What about that other movie that won the Oscar instead?" Well, I guess it's better than giving another CGI animated movie an Oscar. CGI animation is nice and convient but it's vastly over-rated and way over-used these days. Hopefully, by at least giving Wallace And Gromit an Oscar, it'll inspire animation companies to try and use other more unique forms of animation in their films aside from just CGI all the time or that it'll at least inspire the animation companies to return to using traditional cel animation. I just hope that we won't start seeing a thousand Wallace And Gromit rip-offs being produced over the next five years just because it won this Oscar. Since this is supposedly Miyazaki-san's last film, I wonder what this is going to mean for anime movies in the Oscars now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BlackJedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I just hope that we won't start seeing a thousand Wallace And Gromit rip-offs being produced over the next five years just because it won this Oscar.

Unlikely, as Nick Park has been winning Oscars for his work for years in the Animated Short Film category: two of the previous Wallace and Gromit films won, with the first Wallace and Gromit short losing out to Creature Comforts, which was also directed by Nick Park.

I personally am glad Wallace and Gromit won, as it's one of the most delightfully funny films I've seen for years.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
What does Nick Park winning Oscars in the animated shorts category for years have to do with this? People don't care about animated shorts; they care more about big-budget full length feature films. Since Wallace And Gromit won this Oscar, you can bet that there's going to be about a dozen claymation films produced over the next year, just like what happened with the CGI animation craze. Some of them will be good, most of them will probably end up being bad, and then you'll have those films that will try to rip-off of Wallace And Gromit in order to cash in on the latest animation craze, though if this does happen, at least it'll be a nice change of pace from CGI animation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
i liked what the guy who won for Animation Short said. it's almost as if he's speaking for the nominees in the Animation Feature Film category either, and well to anime at least. it went something like hand drawn animation still packing a lot of punch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

There was one major exception I can think of, however, in that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won a Special Oscar for outstanding achievment the year it came out. BTW, that Special Oscar was a regular sized one, with seven little beside it (very cute - I've seen pictures of it).

I wasn't talking about special achievement awards, I was merely talking about Best Picture, which went to Frank Capra's You Can't Take it With You that year. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves wasn't even a nominee for Best Picture, and this was back when the Best Picture category had ten nominees.

Toy Story also won a similar special achievement award but was shut out of the Best Picture category completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FullMetal_Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
'Tis BS.

W&G should have died years ago. Many, many years ago. It's getting WAY more credit than it deserves.

It would have been great for HMC to win, but Corpse Bride still wins over it. It should have won.
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Grrr...No love for Munich Mad But at least Crash WoN!!! And along with Memoirs of A Geisha with 3 awards! YES!
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
jon_a_ross wrote:

This is such a silly statement, I can't help but laugh. Sounds like a typical long-shot liner from a typical angsty anime fan who knows nothing about animation in the first place.

Claymation is very, very, very etc.... hard to animate. It's tedious, tiresome, very slow, you must be millimetrically precise and it's annoying to have your body hunched up in uncomfortable positions in tiny sets moving the bodies of the clay figures, walk away carefully so that you don't damage the set, take a shot and repeat for another 10,000 times over for months and months. In the W&G DVD they said they used a 24 framerate per sec. That's just admirable. And to use CGI to a minimum, wow, just wow. Also remember that they have lightbulbs everywhere fot the set that can melt the clay and make the set all stuffy and uncomfortable. That Nick guy is the master in claymotion. I can only respect his enthusiasm and hard work.

CGI programs might be complex and all, but it's not nearly as exhausting. You're sitting in a comfy chair writing code and assembling lines on render programs. If you make a mistake in CGI, you just press the undo button and in a few second go back to where you came from. In claymotion, you make 1 mistake, you can lose hours of work putting the clay figure back in place. By doing some math, W&G probably required almost 130,000 individual shots (without counting deleted scenes).

Not anyone ventures into claymotion because of the difficulty it involves working with it. Even if the movie sucked, I'd still respect it (though I indeed loved W&G and I've seen all the shorts and loved them too).

I'm giggling with joy that 2 claymotion films and 1 2D/3D mesh film were nominated over CGI lacklusters. It may be a notification that people actually want to see good movies for a change.

And I don't hate Howl, in fact, it has instantly become my 2nd favorite Miyazaki film with Mononoke in 1st place; but it wasn't Miyazaki's best work and it was fair it got the nom.

I think American anime fans keep forgetting ever the more how hard it is for anime to become legally available in many places of the world. Spirited Away's Oscar literally forced the movie to become dubbed to spanish! SA is the second Ghibli film to be dubbed for Latin-America. Before it, we had a very tiny VHS release of Kiki's Delivery Service from Disney (the bastards STILL haven't made a DVD R4 of this film!!!).
Howl was only dubbed to spanish and shown in movie theaters (*faints*) because of SA's Oscar. The nom to Americans may mean nothing, but to people like me, it means everything since mexicans in general google over the Oscars like they were the word of god and the ultimate truth.
Howl's nom means there is some hope for other Miyazaki works to be dubbed to spanish (especially Mononoke Hime which was shown for awhile on PPV, but not in spanish). The Oscars seems more like a publicity campaign for Ghibli films.

Heck, it's the first time ever that I see mexican movie magazines even talking about Miyazaki films in tiny articles. This is something only the publicity from the Oscars could give. I may not care too much about the Oscars for leaving out comedy, but if it helps anime in any way to become available to the closed minds of Disney or bust lovers, all the better.

Sadly we still have a long road to go. The wors thing was that when I did see Howl in the movies, it was both in a very tiny room and it only had 5 people in it. Everyone was over 30 years old. All the stupid kids and soccer moms were watching Herbie. *sigh*
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It's disappointing that Howl's Moving Castle lost since it's my favorite Miyazaki film, but it's not really surprising. The critics all gave Howl's Moving Castle negative reviews and if the critics didn't like a movie, you know it's not going to have chance of winning.

Not necessarily true. Memoirs of a Geisha was one of the worst-reviewed films of the year and it pulled three Oscars anyway, including the respectable Cinematography and Art Direction awards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jon_a_ross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
jon_a_ross wrote:

This is such a silly statement, I can't help but laugh. Sounds like a typical long-shot liner from a typical angsty anime fan who knows nothing about animation in the first place.

Actually I'm a 4th year Animation Student at the University of Lethbridge, but that aside. I don't respect the Oscars anymore because they are weighted on so many things beyond the movie that is actually getting the award. Everyone, even in the industry, will admit that some movies win because they loved that actor in another movie but don't give him the award last year because they were giving it to some other guy for his movie of 5 years ago.

That is why I made my shot at the oscars, not because I felt that Wallace wasn't technically good. The Corpse bride was Technically good, just with a lackluster plot, almost no dialogue and passable songs.

I liked Chicken run the most for the full length claymation movies, and Creature comforts the animated short as well.

--
(I don't know if my bitterness about the industry that I'm almost a part of counts as Angst or not Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6