• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Boston Artists' Alley Sells Out in 5 Minutes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
That's darn quick. Does anyone know how much money an average artist makes over in the alley?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
That's hard to say, I'm not an authority on amateur anime art sales but I think with the recent controversy over unauthorized sale of intellectual property through fanart, actual sales might be quite different from previous figures.

As an aside, what I was curious about, what is the square footage of Anime Boston's artist alley? Just an approximation is fine (either display area or overall floor area or both).
RedComet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
From this layout of the hotel the Artist Alley doesn't even look that big.

http://www.animeboston.com/images/maps/HynesFloorplan2.png
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Has anyone contacted Guinness?
Nerdboy Himself

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll have a pint.

Speaking as an Artist's Alley chairperson myself... this sounds like a terrible thing. If your Artist's Alley sells out of tables in 5 minutes, it's painfully obvious you need more tables.
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Artists Alley is somewhere around 156 feet long, with tables on both sides of the hallway. It is, by no means, small, especially considering there were quite a few empty tables last year.

Of course, its not too surprising, AB's attendance doubled now that they're in the new convention center (and shot it to the 4th largest con in the US at the time it was held), so I'm thinking they might have to plan accordingly for '07.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
I was there last year, and can't wait to go again in a few months. The Hyne's Convention center is by no means small. The artist's alley last year way quite long, and with 60% more space will be even bigger. Just remember this is pretty much THE anime convention in the New England area for the year. Also Boston is a huge college town, so they're expecting alot of students as well probably.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Arrrgg... I submitted my request in the first 5 minutes but lost out to the server traffic. Annoying! I was sitting there hitting refresh on my browser at 7:01 to register and I still didn't get a table. I bet I'm not the only one.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
This is great! I was disappointed with last year's Alley, it was hard to navigate (being on the sides of a main hallway), hard to see everything and not very...festive.

Maybe artists - who regularly participate in conventions - attended in 2005, saw major room for improvement and opportunity and decided to grab a space at an event that finally can accommodate them PLUS give them the crowds they need. Obviously a lot of people have been planning for some time to sign up for the Alley if tables went in less than six minutes.

Anime Boston is going to be VERY interesting this year - and maybe very different.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Anime Boston is going to be VERY interesting this year - and maybe very different.

Knowing some stuff that hasn't been announced yet, that's VERY true. Very different. Smile

As for selling out in under 6 minutes, I'm shocked. With pre-registration numbers being comparable with last year and adding more new spaces than we've ever added before, I don't think anyone ever would have guessed that it would fill up so fast.

...and to think, when we had 4,110 people in 2003 and less than 16 tables, we didn't sell out until the first day of the con.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
If this keeps up, fans trying to get a tabl will be lunging for it the second the option to reserve a table hits. For fans who will see more and more artists a year, they'll have to make rounds faster. This is becoming a like a marathon.
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Some artists who have tables are selling off sections and time slots. Stop by the animeboston forums to see if anyone is interested in negotiating for space.

Other things... Hallway Entranceway A where the Artists Alley is being held isn't that incredibly bright. Bring a lamp if you can (maybe one of those posable desk lamps).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1