• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIR GEAR TV coming soon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steev-sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
sweet! Air Gear is one of the funniest manga's I've read. Can't wait to see anime.

I just hope they don't chop it up like Tenjho Tenge. Tenjho Tenge wasn't a horrible series, but if they kept it more to the manga it would have been much better. IMO, the end was very disapointing and the OAV was kind of dumb..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
steev-sama wrote:
Tenjho Tenge wasn't a horrible series, but if they kept it more to the manga it would have been much better.

Eh? The Tenjou Tenge anime was a word-by-word retelling of the manga (with some minor modifications), that's why its pacing was so awful for a series of 26 (? 24?) episodes. That was one problem with it - the other problems were its bright and shiny look (nothing remained of the grittiness and grimness of the manga art), the uneven quality of the animation, the uninspired music and the even more uninspired voice acting with Ikeda Shuuichi horribly miscast as Shin. (I prefer subs to dubs, but when people start waxing about how the original Japanese dub is always perfect then TenTen is the anime I show them.) In fact, the whole anime was just uninspired. Not bad, but simply very boring.

I've only read a couple of chapters from Air Gear, but it was fun. I hope it'll receive a better treatment than TenTen.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
steev-sama wrote:
Tenjho Tenge wasn't a horrible series, but if they kept it more to the manga it would have been much better.

Eh? The Tenjou Tenge anime was a word-by-word retelling of the manga (with some minor modifications), that's why its pacing was so awful for a series of 26 (? 24?) episodes. That was one problem with it - the other problems were its bright and shiny look (nothing remained of the grittiness and grimness of the manga art), the uneven quality of the animation, the uninspired music and the even more uninspired voice acting with Ikeda Shuuichi horribly miscast as Shin. (I prefer subs to dubs, but when people start waxing about how the original Japanese dub is always perfect then TenTen is the anime I show them.) In fact, the whole anime was just uninspired. Not bad, but simply very boring.

I've only read a couple of chapters from Air Gear, but it was fun. I hope it'll receive a better treatment than TenTen.

if i'm correct, Airgear has ended. so the story shouldn't be a problem.
steev-sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
steev-sama wrote:

Eh? The Tenjou Tenge anime was a word-by-word retelling of the manga (with some minor modifications), that's why its pacing was so awful for a series of 26 (? 24?) episodes. That was one problem with it .
That was more of what i meant. They basicly neutered the series by cutting it short. Then they tried to please the fans by releasing a OAV that should have been a second season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the anime. My only issue is that they have no plans to make a second season. What they did do was really good but it just seems so unfinished. Anyway I'm not familiar with any of Oh! Great's other works but I really enjoyed TenTen so I'm looking forward to seeing this.
hiyonoxD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
mufurc wrote:
steev-sama wrote:

if i'm correct, Airgear has ended. so the story shouldn't be a problem.

Airgear hasn't ended. its still ongoing and the volume 12 recently came out.
lazuline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I second that. Air gear isn't even close to ending... (needs to go buy volume 12 Anime hyper)
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Air Gear...I think I've read some of it, but it doesn't stick out in my mind as particularly vivid. Well, there were some parts, but fanservice isn't what makes a manga memorable. (I am talking about the right title, correct?) If the anime comes out well though, I hope the animation doesn't blow.
lazuline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Air Gear...I think I've read some of it, but it doesn't stick out in my mind as particularly vivid. Well, there were some parts, but fanservice isn't what makes a manga memorable. (I am talking about the right title, correct?) If the anime comes out well though, I hope the animation doesn't blow.

¦AIRGEAR¦エア¤ ギア¦ = Tenjho Tenge - nudity + rollerskates + more comedy + a larger cast of characters + AKITO/AGITO!!!!

not to be confused with the lack-luster airmaster.

well, airgear isn't exactly deep, but it's by all mean entertaining.
jboncha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait to see this anime.
Its good that the manga has been licensed and will go on sale in July 2006 because I'm fairly sure that the anime wont get licensed and/or released in the USA until 2007 or later.

J B
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1