• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rising Star Finalist Accused of Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
denkigrve wrote:
My second problem with your post, and many of the posts on Anime forums in general is the use of grammar. Right and write are 2 different words. Someanything is not a word that I could find in any dictionary I checked. Please people use proper english. It only takes a minute to recheck what you wrote to make sure it makes sense, and is correct. It only makes us a culture, and as fans even more simple-minded when people ignore the rules of the language we speak. Fans FLIP out when someone spells their favorite characters name in a series incorrectly, or when someone makes an error in a subtitle. Take the same pride in your own language, and how you present yourself in the written language. It disappoints me that no-one takes our own language that seriously.

No kidding, man. If I see one more person spell the word "plagiarize" wrong, I'm going to lose it.

Izlude wrote:
Whats wrong with Rob Liefeld? His work is pretty tight.

Are you kidding? Liefeld is the biggest hack in the history of comics. Any artist who is so lazy that they scatter rocks on the landscape so they don't have to draw feet should probably be considering a different career path.

As to the main topic of the thread, I'm not that surprised by the swipes, nor all that offended really. I mean, lots of artists use other artists' work for reference, it just so happens in this case that the artist was a little more lazy and blatant about it. I think it's pretty shortsighted of them to reference one of the most popular and longest-running samurai manga in the States for their own samurai story.

The laziness of the artist is pretty striking. Check this out to see the last page of "Samurai Zombie", then click "Next Image" to see the same page done by putting together different BotI images. Sad, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Izlude wrote:

Are you kidding? Liefeld is the biggest hack in the history of comics. Any artist who is so lazy that they scatter rocks on the landscape so they don't have to draw feet should probably be considering a different career path.

No artist is perfect. If you consider that lazy, then you must not read many manga where alot of shortcuts and turns are taken just to get it published on time.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
jgreen wrote:

Izlude wrote:

No artist is perfect. If you consider that lazy, then you must not read many manga where alot of shortcuts and turns are taken just to get it published on time.

Rob Liefield pretty much makes such comics like Eiken, Tenjo Tenge, Ikki Tousen, and any other boob-infested anime or manga look like Classical Art books. His "women" often had exagerated positions that were either anatomiclly incorrect or uncomfortable and looked muscular for their own good (and sparked rumors that some art looked like it was a mans body with women features). I mean, compare his women like Glory or Avengelyne to real female bodybuilders. You can see the difference.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
But comics aren't supposed to always be all that realistic and stuff ya know? I mean look at some of manga out there, it's no different. I find nothing particuarly wrong with fantasy, alot of artists out there draw characters with bodies that would be otherwise humanly impossible. I mean really. It may be un-realstic, but it can be fun to draw, and if the artist enjoys it, thats all that really matters.

And don't lump Tenjou Tenge in with Eiken! Please! OhGreat is much better than that crap. Ikkitousen on the other hand, I could care less for, with the number of plagiarism accusations againest it on the web. Why people get angry over an amature comic attempt over a professionally published and on-going series boggles me.
gingersoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
denkigrve wrote:

My second problem with your post, and many of the posts on Anime forums in general is the use of grammar. Right and write are 2 different words. Someanything is not a word that I could find in any dictionary I checked.

While I do think it's important not to confuse "right" and "write" I think "someanything" is a rather nifty coinage of a new word. Now, if he could also provide a definition instead of forcing me to intuitively figure it out I would be a happy dog.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Maybe no artist is perfect, but there are certainly very few artists that get away with having a career in art without having any artistic talent whatsoever. Yes, artists take shortcuts to save time. Yes, artists exagerrate anatomy beyond realistic proportions for effect.

But Liefeld doesn't JUSt do those things. It becomes pretty clear when looking at just a HANDFUL of images (like, say, the images in those pages gingersoll linked to) that the man has no grasp of anatomy or perspective whatsoever, two of the most essential things for any artist. Exagerration is one thing, but having two women who are the same height standing one behind the other, and the one in the back is taller than the one in the foreground....how does that work? Liefeld draws 90% of his characters with their hands in fists because he sucks at drawing fingers. His characters frequently have no neck, wrists or feet, and when they do have feet they are almost hilariously undersized.

Not to mention the guy has the attention span of a gnat, and has drawn more than 6 issues of a comic in well over a decade.

I'm sorry, but whether or not Liefeld is a bad artist isn't really open for a debate. He's bad on so many basic levels that I'm, quite frankly, SHOCKED that he even manages to find work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
There's no such thing has a "bad artist" in my opinion, just poor judgement (on the artists part). Or something. But whatever. Who am I to judge an artist. I can hand out some constructive critique to an artist, but I can't tell an artist how they should draw or tell them they are inferior.

Every artist has their own style and procedure of producing their works. If you don't like it that's fine, but you don't have to throw shit at it because your so stark raving mad over it.
gingersoll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who runs a comic shop, we laugh about this all the time. He says probably 9 of ten Leifeld books he sells since the guy was booted from Image have been to the cult which now surrounds his name. A lot of people remember when his art seemed cool back when they were kids and now buy his books because they are so terrible it's funny. Spotting the frames he steals is a big part of it too.
And if any artist deserves shit thrown at them... well if you've ever heard/read how this guy reacts to criticism about his work, you know he brings it on himself. Lets be honest, there are a lot of terrible comic artists all over the world, but sometimes the artist's attitude attracts the hate more than their poor quality of work.

Blatant plagiarism also tends to attract hate. Hendra Wahjud is finding that out about now too... Maybe Mr. Liefeld needs an assistant...
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
There's no such thing has a "bad artist" in my opinion, just poor judgement (on the artists part). Or something. But whatever. Who am I to judge an artist. I can hand out some constructive critique to an artist, but I can't tell an artist how they should draw or tell them they are inferior.

Every artist has their own style and procedure of producing their works. If you don't like it that's fine, but you don't have to throw shit at it because your so stark raving mad over it.

I'm not exactly "stark raving mad" about the guy, but there's plenty of reasons not to like Liefeld other than his artistic style. His dealings with his detractors have certainly shown him to be a collosal prick. He has blatantly stolen characters from other creators (including a friend of mine, whose self-published character he showed to Liefeld at a convention, only to have him show up in an issue of Youngblood, with fringe on his boots; this apparently made him a "new" character). He's a horribly shady businessman, which got him kicked out of Image and drove his later company Awesome into the ground.

But I digress.....

I would disagree with your comment that there is no such thing as a "bad artist". The quality of a piece of art is, by and large, subjective, and I don't disagree with you there. But art is kind of like cooking. Say you've got three Italian restaurants. One uses a sweet tomato sauce on their pasta, the other one uses a spicier sauce. Which is better? Well, that's subjective. But say the third one is just incompetent. They undercook the pasta to the point it's still crunchy. They either cook meat too long 'til it's burned to a crisp, or they undercook it to the point where it's dangerous. Can anyone honestly say that the third guy should be judged equal to the other two because, hey, everyone's taste buds are different?

People whose artistic skills are so underdeveloped that they have to steal all of their content, copying from other sources in order to produce anything, are quite simply bad artists. If you have to reference 6 different pages of someone else's comic in order to trace out one page of yours, you need to be practicing, not trying to get published, because you really aren't ready for the game yet.

Just my two cents....
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
metalformer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
All In can see is that he copied the scenes too much. If his intention was to use them as reference, he should have work a little harder to make them less obvious. Twisted Evil
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
stagedive_25 wrote:
I agree with one of the ANN staffers.

In most cases, professional journalism shouldn't use sources from blogs like Live Journal.

Anyone and I mean ANYONE can right someanything on Live Journal.

ANYONE can say anything on the internet. Period.

Besides, the images of the panels speak for themselves, so the story has some merit. So they got the story from LJ, big deal. Lots of news on LJ. Whether it has a basis or not isn't in question anymore because they have the images, and those back up the claim.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh....Rich Johnston has hopped on the bandwagon. He posted about the swiping incident in today's edition of his column "Lying in the Gutters", the most widely read comics gossip column on the internet. (See it here) There's an image there that is especially damning, seeing as it overlays the SZ and BotI images on top of each other and shows how they are, more or less, IDENTICAL.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Uh oh....Rich Johnston has hopped on the bandwagon. He posted about the swiping incident in today's edition of his column "Lying in the Gutters", the most widely read comics gossip column on the internet. (See it here) There's an image there that is especially damning, seeing as it overlays the SZ and BotI images on top of each other and shows how they are, more or less, IDENTICAL.

*Cringes* Oww. Now before he/she had a slight chance of getting away with freehand, but some of those look like tracings. I don't know what was wrong with Hendra Wahjudi, but that there just completly ruined their reputation. If they're still looking for a career in comics, better for them to change their name now. I mean seriously, I can understand using an existing comic for refrence to style and composition of frames, but tracing a whole freaking page and just altering a few details is not what a developing comic artist should do. Use your freaking imagination like any other artist, or you won't develop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5