Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness


Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
drdr48



Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a hater, however I'm not much of a fan either.

I always thought he sounded WAY too old for Ed, and every time he talked in the show I never felt like it was Ed that was talking but some 40's year old guy that hides behind him.

That said I do think that he did a pretty decent job as Ed in the movie Conqueror of Shamballa, but Ed was older in that movie so it make sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell does this guy have fans? There are voice actors, who do intensive American/Canadian cartoon voice work, who get paid 20X the amount that Vic gets per episode, who have honed their craft and they have no fans. Example Chantal Strand. She has no fans, except for KLAC and nobody seems to talk about her. She's attractive and has a cute voice and is a better actor than Vic, yet no-one likes her. Crying or Very sad Seriously. Look at the differences

https://twitter.com/​ChantalStrand
https://twitter.com/​vicmignogna

I may hate ClownKrown's bad/negative attitude towards dubs, but I can understand hating Vic at least. He's one of the worst dubbing artists in North America, outside of VAs from New York. New York has horrible voice acting. It doesn't help that most of their dubs are either 4kids dubs or early-mid 90s dubs.


Last edited by YamadaKun on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
drdr48



Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why the hell does this guy have fans? There are voice actors, who do intensive American/Canadian cartoon voice work, who get paid 20X the amount that Vic gets per episode, who have honed their craft and they have no fans. Example Chantal Strand. She has no fans, except for KLAC and nobody seems to talk about her. She's attractive and has a cute voice and is a better actor than Vic, yet no-one likes her. Seriously.

I may hate ClownKrown's bad/negative attitude towards dubs, but I can understand hating Vic at least. He's one of the worst dubbing artists in North America, outside of VAs from New York. New York has horrible voice acting. It doesn't help that most of their dubs are either 4kids dubs or early-mid 90s dubs.


1. Do you really think that she cares? You just said so yourself, she makes like 10 times more money than Vic.

2. No one takes Vic to voice in American catoons where the real money is, just goes to show you how "talented" this guy is Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
You just said so yourself. No one takes this guy to voice in American catoons where the real money is, just show you how "talented" he is Laughing


That's not what I meant. I meant to say was that there are people working in mainstream cartoons, which attain ratings of 3.0 or more, makes millions of dollars in home video, merchandise, etc who have been doing intensive work, who don't get nearly as recognized as a VA, who has done only anime, which don't even get released on TV, yet he gets more fans. I'm not saying that his lack of US animation voice work is the reason why he sucks, because pay and or type of animation you work in the most=/=talent, but the reasons why he sucks is because he can't act well. I would still hate him if he did US cartoons and he would suck just as bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6082
Location: IL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I actually expected Vic to have a lot more Twitter followers. That surprises me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
machetecat



Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Would Bob Jones be considered a hardcore fundamentalist Christian college? I grew up attending Baptist school, and the POV there was that Pensacola Christian College was the ultimate choice if you were going to a christian college from the school, and Bob Jones' University was the easy-going, much more liberal choice of college of the two. Most of my teachers were from Pensacola as well, and the couple that were from Bob Jones were much more laid back in terms of personality and creativity.

As for the interview... *groans* I've been dreading it and yet dying to hear it at the same time... I don't know why he agreed to do this... from a marketing point, ANN isn't exactly going to shy away from the usual topics of controversy that follow him. It's one thing to be interviewed as a promotion for a certain show, but this is specifically about HIM, so it's going to get personal and just... second-hand embarrassment, man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
drdr48



Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
drdr48 wrote:
You just said so yourself. No one takes this guy to voice in American catoons where the real money is, just show you how "talented" he is Laughing


That's not what I meant. I meant to say was that there are people working in mainstream cartoons, which attain ratings of 3.0 or more, makes millions of dollars in home video, merchandise, etc who have been doing intensive work, who don't get nearly as recognized as a VA, who has done only anime, which don't even get released on TV, yet he gets more fans. I'm not saying that his lack of US animation voice work is the reason why he sucks, because pay and or type of animation you work in the most=/=talent, but the reasons why he sucks is because he can't act well. I would still hate him if he did US cartoons and he would suck just as bad.


You didn't understand me. I'm sure Vic tried to audition for working in American cartoons and I'm sure he didn't get any work because he's just not a good VA, that's why he only got works in anime dubs and such because their standards aren't that high to begin with.


Last edited by drdr48 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
You didn't understand me. I'm sure Vic tried to audition for working in American cartoons and I'm sure he didn't get any work because he's just not a good VA, that's way he only got works in anime dubs and such because their standards aren't that high to begin with.


There are loads of bad VAs, who exclusively American cartoons, who are just as bad as Vic, like Jeremy Shada. In fact, I consider Jeremy Shada to be worse than Vic. Also, Vic is non-union and the majority of US cartoons are union, so it's not that their standards are "higher" or anything, since it should be noted that getting roles in anime dubs is probably just as hard as getting roles in US cartoons, but because he's not a union member.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Gyt Kaliba



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 587
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* I had a feeling this was going to be people hating on the guy already. It seems to be the 'cool' thing to do in the fandom anymore.

I refuse to get sucked into any arguments, but you know what, I'm leaving a comment solely so that, on the off chance Vic sees this, there's at least one comment that's not 'OH GOD YOU THE SUXORZ MAN'.

I've never seen what people have against his voice-over work, because in general, I've enjoyed him in practically every role I've heard him in. His Edward Elric is well deserve of how much praise it's gotten over the years, his Ikkaku in Bleach is perfect, and from what I remember, his Dark Mousy in DNAngel was really good as well. He does seem to get typecast somewhat nowadays, but I remember an episodic role he had in Hell Girl that was outside-the-norm for him (he played a vet that wasn't actually in the job for the right reasons), and really showed more of his range.

Hell, he even pulled off Kensei Ma in Kenichi, and that's one role where I thought for sure he'd been miscast.

And as far as the whole 'anime actors aren't as good as domestic toon actors' thing goes, you have to remember that the two are almostly completely different ballgames. In a normal cartoon, where the animation is done later, the actor is free to create everything from scratch with the help of the director. In anime however, everything is done except for their vocals, leaving them to work in an extremely tiny box performance wise. Rob Paulsen himself has commented on how restrictive that would have to be. So it's not necassarily that anime dub actors aren't as good, it's just that the two methods of acting are completely different. Anime actors are beginning to seep into domestic stuff more and more with the DC/Marvel toons however, since they have more practice doing action material than a lot of domestic animation actors do.

Anyway, I may actually give this podcast a listen later, but for now, keep up the great work Vic. And to him and his fans both, I say - Ignore the haters, half of them can't be pleased no matter what you do anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1510
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
At some point, it'd be nice to get the commentary of someone who has actually listened to the podcast. You know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Divineking



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 1031

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Finished listening to the podcast. I found it very interesting. I found his view on some of the "issues" some anime fans have a bit condensending, but other than that he seems like a pretty decent guy and he doesn't seem nearly as bad as half the stuff I've heard people say about him. I also have to say I'm a bit surprised some VA's supposedly try to bar him from coming to cons as a guest. That sounds pretty childish to me and I'm curious which VA's those are though I'm pretty sure I'm better off not knowing.

He's not quite my favorite voice actor but I haven't had any serious issues with any of his roles(personally I think he's better suited to villain roles than main characters but that's just me) and I don't think he deserves as much slack as he gets on that front either.

On a side note I wish my question got answered though I figured there was no way it actually would(asked about him having a role in Digimon Fusion).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I refuse to get sucked into any arguments, but you know what, I'm leaving a comment solely so that, on the off chance Vic sees this, there's at least one comment that's not 'OH GOD YOU THE SUXORZ MAN'.


Fair point. Shit can get hectic

Quote:
I've never seen what people have against his voice-over work, because in general, I've enjoyed him in practically every role I've heard him in. His Edward Elric is well deserve of how much praise it's gotten over the years, his Ikkaku in Bleach is perfect, and from what I remember, his Dark Mousy in DNAngel was really good as well. He does seem to get typecast somewhat nowadays, but I remember an episodic role he had in Hell Girl that was outside-the-norm for him (he played a vet that wasn't actually in the job for the right reasons), and really showed more of his range.


I probably disagree, but at least you're being respectful in your opinions, I guess.



Quote:
And as far as the whole 'anime actors aren't as good as domestic toon actors' thing goes, you have to remember that the two are almostly completely different ballgames. In a normal cartoon, where the animation is done later, the actor is free to create everything from scratch with the help of the director. In anime however, everything is done except for their vocals, leaving them to work in an extremely tiny box performance wise. Rob Paulsen himself has commented on how restrictive that would have to be. So it's not necassarily that anime dub actors aren't as good, it's just that the two methods of acting are completely different. Anime actors are beginning to seep into domestic stuff more and more with the DC/Marvel toons however, since they have more practice doing action material than a lot of domestic animation actors do.


Agreed 100%. I personally think anime like Big O, Akira(Pioneer), Gundam 0080, 8th MS Team and some others to have voice acting on par with the DCAU, but that's just my thoughts. Also, people need to realize that dubbing artists are more reserved than their domestic counterparts. In other words, anime characters in general, are far more natural and less "wacky" so the performances IMO are more believable. I mean compare Mary McGlynn's Cornelia to Jeremy Shada's Finn. I personally don't think either is better.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
drdr48



Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
And as far as the whole 'anime actors aren't as good as domestic toon actors' thing goes, you have to remember that the two are almostly completely different ballgames. In a normal cartoon, where the animation is done later, the actor is free to create everything from scratch with the help of the director. In anime however, everything is done except for their vocals, leaving them to work in an extremely tiny box performance wise. Rob Paulsen himself has commented on how restrictive that would have to be. So it's not necassarily that anime dub actors aren't as good, it's just that the two methods of acting are completely different. Anime actors are beginning to seep into domestic stuff more and more with the DC/Marvel toons however, since they have more practice doing action material than a lot of domestic animation actors do.


Another difference... The money.

Domestic animation actors get paid a LOT more than anime voice actors...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostOfSide3



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 51
Location: Memphis, TN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I may not care much for Vic Mignogna or the majority of Funimation's dub work, but I gotta hand it to him he seems like a very nice and compassionate dude.

Very interesting and entertaining episode, guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bazinko
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
What a great episode! I didn't want it to end.

I don't understand all of the hate toward him. Of course, religion IS extremely polarizing, but he claims to not force it on people. And most of these things people would never say to his face (as humility is not enforced on the Internet), but how can you not at least respect him for his passion alone? He clearly loves to be alive.

As far as his voice acting, I think he's superb. His role as Yoshimori in Kekkaishi is my favorite, but he's always enjoyable. Although, I love English dubs.

In the end, he is obviously an extremely positive person. Perhaps too much so, but he embraces life to the fullest. And I think some people feel threatened by that level of positivity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group