• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixGunAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
First off, Kudos to Zac and Justin for this podcast, and all the touchy subjects it contained. It was handled well, for the most part. It is difficult to try and put some subjects which are very personal into a context for others who have their own opinions. It did seem like there was a bit of hand-wringing about broaching the faith topic.

Also, Vic should be applauded for his willingness to do the podcast. Like him or hate him, it's tough to put yourself out there knowing that your life may be subject to the criticisms of the unknown masses.

To the haters, already drunk on the haterade: What flavor is that? Snarklebitchy Fit? Yes, Vic got animated (more so than normal) about his faith. Not unlike those of you in this forum who get animated when someone comes at your love of Moe/Fanservice/Subs/Dubs/the G word spoiler[Guns]/so on and so forth.

I will admit that I have been to several of Vic's panels at AWA, aka Anime Weekend Atlanta (love the shout out. It's in my hometown). The Grand Ballroom is ALWAYS packed with his fans, male and female, young and old. And I will say this; Some VAs stay on stage. Some behind a table. Vic is IN the audience. Almost start to finish. He sings Happy Birthday to people. A male teen requested to give Vic a hug. A flying tackle hug. Vic obliged, happily. I don't say this to gush about him. Sometimes he feels a little over the top, but that is what he is. We have to deal with it.

Last year, he was asked in his panel about his faith. He told the audience that his own church at home had pretty much ostracized him for doing Fullmetal Alchemist. They felt it wasn't a story that a Christian should do. It basically boiled down to them or the show. He chose the show. He seemed genuinely choked up when telling the audience this. He said he channeled that love into going to all the conventions and being with the fans. If you want to deride him for that, go for it. But that's a sad, pathetic way to go through life.

Not being a religious person, I wasn't really inclined to attend. After hearing the podcast, I may go to this year's Sunday service at AWA.

As for his acting; sure, regular cartoons pay more. Union work pays more. Regular acting pays more. Any VA will tell you, if you want to be famous, make money, etc., Anime is NOT the way to do it. Vic does it because he auditions for it, and apparently, he enjoys it. If anyone on here can do better, I suggest you get out there and get his business from him.

On a final note, I don't personally know of any group, fans or VAs, trying to ban Vic from cons. Seems rather petty. If you look at some posts on certain sites, you'd think Vic and Todd Haberkorn were rivals. But they sure do a lot of stuff together. Imagine that.

So, thanks again to Zac, Justin, and Vic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet (I'm still at work) but I will. I'm interested in hearing from VAs. I haven't heard many of Vic's roles, but I think he was good as Ed.

However, I do have a bone to pick with him and perhaps unfairly. At FanExpo 2012, he was the only anime VA to charge for autographs - $10 a pop, I believe. This year at FanExpo I believe all the anime VAs were charging $20 an autograph and $10 for a photo op. At least Tara Strong and another VA from My Little Pony were (no, I didn't check for myself, I was with the young daughter of a good friend who is into MLP - honest). I didn't check to see if peeps like Brad Swaile or the others were charging so maybe I shouldn't say anything.

But if they were, I wonder if it was Vic who started the trend. VA autographs at FanExpo used to be free. I have Monica Rial, Wendee Lee, Colleen Clinkenbeard, and Brina Palencia from there. So if Vic is responsible for the monetization of VA autographs - damn his eyes!

Although, in all fairness, considering that anime VAs are among the lowest paid talent in the entertainment biz, I probably shouldn't begrudge them this revenue stream. I'll never pay for an autograph, though.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Just a gripe, but Seiji Mizushima did not pick Vic. Mike McFarland did. Why does Vic want to use the "Japanese picked me" to defend himself? Even if it's true, that won't work on me, but he doesn't have to lie. Mamoru Oshii, Kumiko Ikuhara, Hayao Miyazaki have been heavily in involved in dubs of their works, particularly Miyazaki and Ikuhara. They all sucked. Urgh. I hate when people use that excuse.

I am pretty sure his talking about Square Enix who owns the rights to Fullmetal Alchemist.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Gonna call bullshit on whole "people hate me because I am christian !" thing.Like Vic himself said in the interview there is big amount of voice actors that are Christians and that arent as nearly as hated as he is.Frankly he sounds a lot like those paranoid Christian preachers that feel like they are threatened by secular government.
In this podcast he was constantly skipping answering questions with his television evangelists rhetoric,not to mention he was very confrontational.I had no opinion on this guy,but I dont particular fancy him now.

Last edited by danilo07 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
SixGunAlchemist wrote:
To the haters, already drunk on the haterade: What flavor is that? Snarklebitchy Fit? Yes, Vic got animated (more so than normal) about his faith.

There's nothing wrong with being animated about your beliefs. However, that doesn't mean others can't challenge or put them in perspective. I do not doubt, for example, some people are unjustifiably dicks to Vic online (either out of personal dislike or because of his faith). But, quite frankly, he did not mention anything people don't do to Zac and I don't think Zac would describe himself as being persecuted. Persecution loses all meaning if we use it to describe stuff like this. We have a perfectly good word called rudeness.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Hah! Imagine the voice of Agnostic Edward being a devout christian.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet (I'm still at work) but I will. I'm interested in hearing from VAs. I haven't heard many of Vic's roles, but I think he was good as Ed.

However, I do have a bone to pick with him and perhaps unfairly. At FanExpo 2012, he was the only anime VA to charge for autographs - $10 a pop, I believe. This year at FanExpo I believe all the anime VAs were charging $20 an autograph and $10 for a photo op. At least Tara Strong and another VA from My Little Pony were (no, I didn't check for myself, I was with the young daughter of a good friend who is into MLP - honest). I didn't check to see if peeps like Brad Swaile or the others were charging so maybe I shouldn't say anything.

But if they were, I wonder if it was Vic who started the trend. VA autographs at FanExpo used to be free. I have Monica Rial, Wendee Lee, Colleen Clinkenbeard, and Brina Palencia from there. So if Vic is responsible for the monetization of VA autographs - damn his eyes!

Although, in all fairness, considering that anime VAs are among the lowest paid talent in the entertainment biz, I probably shouldn't begrudge them this revenue stream. I'll never pay for an autograph, though.

That's weird. He was at the first anime con I ever went to, and he wasn't charging anything for his autograph. I got him to sign both a t-shirt and my right bicep (you know... for MANLINESS!!!) and he did it happily.

Then again, that was about three years ago. If this is something that has just recently started, then I understand where you're coming from.

It could be worse, though. If it was Mark Hamill, he'd charge you 125 bucks. Shocked
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Hah! Imagine the voice of Agnostic Edward being a devout christian.

Ed (at least manga/Brotherhood Ed) isn't an agnostic because he has proof that God exist.

Seriously people really take the wrong thing from the opening chapter (first two episodes) of Fullmetal Alchemist. The point of that story is to rely on yourself instead of sitting down and hoping that someone else will fix the problem for you. That's why Ed tells Rose to stand on her own to feet, and why the manga goes back and shows how the town has rebuilt itself without having to rely on other people.
SixGunAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
SixGunAlchemist wrote:
To the haters, already drunk on the haterade: What flavor is that? Snarklebitchy Fit? Yes, Vic got animated (more so than normal) about his faith.

There's nothing wrong with being animated about your beliefs. However, that doesn't mean others can't challenge or put them in perspective. I do not doubt, for example, some people are unjustifiably dicks to Vic online (either out of personal dislike or because of his faith). But, quite frankly, he did not mention anything people don't do to Zac and I don't think Zac would describe himself as being persecuted. Persecution loses all meaning if we use it to describe stuff like this. We have a perfectly good word called rudeness.

Wow. Don't believe I even mentioned persecution or being persecuted. Also, thanks for only quoting part of what I said.

Quote:
To the haters, already drunk on the haterade: What flavor is that? Snarklebitchy Fit? Yes, Vic got animated (more so than normal) about his faith. Not unlike those of you in this forum who get animated when someone comes at your love of Moe/Fanservice/Subs/Dubs/the G word /so on and so forth.

I was referring to the previous posts where everyone was already dumping on Vic because they don't like him, regardless of beliefs, but further cemented their opinion based on his viewpoint. That's their opinion, and that's okay, I guess. But to rag on a man because you don't like his popularity seems kinda childish.

Is it okay to challenge someone on their beliefs? To a degree, yes. If, as you said, you want to put it in perspective. Any degradation of the discussion could be attributed to the way either Zac or Vic thought the conversation was going.

Not sure if you're calling me, or Vic, rude. If it's Vic, I could see why you'd say that. He kept going, sometimes talking over Zac, ignoring a follow-up, and generally trying to cement his point. Again, the context of that rather touchy subject has been a sore spot, as some people see Vic's outspoken view rather unsettling. True, many other VAs don't put their views out there as he does, but that's their choice. I also haven't witnessed, personally anyway, Vic putting anyone down who doesn't agree with him, or who has a different view on faith. Doesn't seem anyone here has, either.

If you're calling me rude? Well, I don't know what to say about that. I don't really care much.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I honestly didn't know Vic had a vocal amount of haters.
I liked the guy before, but after listening to the podcast, I now have a deep respect for him.
Props.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I have a real beef with Vic. His name sounds incredibly similar to comics legend Mike Mignola. So I constantly end up saying "Vic Mignola" or "Mike Mignogna". At this point, whenever I mention either I pretty much just mumble icchh Mignogalamabla... He should obviously change his name. Jerk.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
No Comment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting to listen to. I don't see eye to eye with him on everything, but I can't deny he sounded like he truly loves his job and is nice. Pretty fascinating.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I very disappointed that the issue of Vic's homophobia was never brought up. It's a huge omission.
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
SixGunAlchemist wrote:
Last year, he was asked in his panel about his faith. He told the audience that his own church at home had pretty much ostracized him for doing Fullmetal Alchemist. They felt it wasn't a story that a Christian should do. It basically boiled down to them or the show. He chose the show. He seemed genuinely choked up when telling the audience this. He said he channeled that love into going to all the conventions and being with the fans. If you want to deride him for that, go for it. But that's a sad, pathetic way to go through life

Yet they've still watched it, apparently.

Yeah, I call BS on that story!
SixGunAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
SixGunAlchemist wrote:
Last year, he was asked in his panel about his faith. He told the audience that his own church at home had pretty much ostracized him for doing Fullmetal Alchemist. They felt it wasn't a story that a Christian should do. It basically boiled down to them or the show. He chose the show. He seemed genuinely choked up when telling the audience this. He said he channeled that love into going to all the conventions and being with the fans. If you want to deride him for that, go for it. But that's a sad, pathetic way to go through life

Yet they've still watched it, apparently.

Yeah, I call BS on that story!

You know, maybe you're right. All I have is his word for it. At around the 23:00 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDbIxBNUxU

Or maybe you're full of hate. Whatevs. Not trying to change your opinion. Don't really care about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14