• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This is What a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Manga Looks Like

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The article needs more disdain.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

more moe hate again?
people need to relax
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

more moe hate again?
people need to relax

More like it'd be funny if every article had some clear opinion in it. Probably not very professional, but it's well know how much Zac and others sure do love dem horses.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling that this article wasn't supposed to be posted in this form. Parts of it lack ANN's usually neutral, professional tone. Maybe the author was blowing steam or frustration off in any early draft and intended to edit the questionable phrases out, but a mistake was made that saw the wrong version be published.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

more moe hate again?
people need to relax

More like it'd be funny if every article had some clear opinion in it. Probably not very professional, but it's well know how much Zac and others sure do love dem horses.

Zac, so far as we've been told, has limited knowledge of the news side of ANN, has no direct involvement in it and there are walls of separation between news and editorial.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vapors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I get the feeling that this article wasn't supposed to be posted in this form. Parts of it lack ANN's usually neutral, professional tone.

I wondered about that too. But if you look at the the previous interest article, the Hello Kitty one, there is a fair bit of opinion on that as well.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-03/hello-kitty-gets-her-own-smartphone-and-a-jet-airliner

So I don't think the change is only to the Pony article, but maybe to all Interest articles. I don't see any problem with it personally, but I do hope they stay neutral on their major news items.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm working on the Interest articles from now on. We're trying a new thing where we're separating the News and the Interest.

Nothing will change on the News side. We're thinking of splintering them into separate sections, actually.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that explains it. All the... voice... was really confusing me. It honestly made me wonder "Who are you?" You can't have articles with a distinct voice and not tell people who wrote it upfront. I mean, I know now who wrote it, but still. It's very weird to switch from an anonymous personality-less narrator to a friendly, jokey narrator with a personality and not be told who that person is. (Narrator's not the word, but whatever.) But then again, if you're to be the only writer of interest articles, I guess there's no point.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Oh, that explains it. All the... voice... was really confusing me. It honestly made me wonder "Who are you?" You can't have articles with a distinct voice and not tell people who wrote it upfront. I mean, I know now who wrote it, but still. It's very weird to switch from an anonymous personality-less narrator to a friendly, jokey narrator with a personality and not be told who that person is. (Narrator's not the word, but whatever.) But then again, if you're to be the only writer of interest articles, I guess there's no point.

This is a brilliant idea and great feedback. Let me see what I can do with it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yay! The MLP manga! I wish someone could bring it over here.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I saw this awhile back, honestly the manga is pretty lack-luster compared to the American comic book. I mean its not as bad as the stock/clip-art comics from some of the Europian magazines, but not really much to the manga, but hey its in a little kids mag, so thats to be expected I guess.

But yeah, seems IDW is the only company that can make a pony comic to compete with or exceed the quality of the cartoon.

Still glad the kids/fans in Japan have something to read now at least I guess.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever read anything written like this on ANN. It was much less professional. If all interest articles are going to be written like this now, I don't think I'll be reading more than the headlines.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
SCREENTONES
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yay pretty cool Smile I'm a vintage pony fan that likes all the generations and international merchandise. I can a least read this so I'll pick up a copy someday in Japan.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

more moe hate again?
people need to relax

"Clear opinion?" Yes, let's look at the revolutionary claims made by this inflammatory article:

* My Little Pony is popular

*It has been made into a manga

* The manga is by a duo who have worked on the Zelda manga in the past.

* The cartoon has been dubbed and premiered in Japan in April.

These don't sound like opinions to me.

If MLP upsets you so much, maybe try and ignore news stories about it, instead of commenting on their forums?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
I don't think I've ever read anything written like this on ANN. It was much less professional. If all interest articles are going to be written like this now, I don't think I'll be reading more than the headlines.

CHANGE NO CHANGE NOOOOOOOOOO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3