• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JASDAQ release reveals new Ghost in the Shell details

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
How do you play an R2 DVD on and R1 machine, anyway?

Some DVD players can be hacked to become region free. Of course, it invalidates any warranty you may have, and some DVDs won't play on region free players, but it can be done.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
And, coming full circle, I also threw in the MangaUK dub of AD Police Files, a late-in-life experiment where they tried to dub the entire cast with two actors. Let us be grateful for the progress.

Wow, that is amazingly stupid. I bet Captain Nancy Wilson was voiced by some old guy, and Chief Hideki Kurata was probably voiced by overracting 20-year-old college student. I've heard some UK dubs before (the Guyver OVA) and they're pretty bad (I'm pretty sure the Guyver OVA was a UK dub, although it had Steve Blum and David Hayter (Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid games) in the cast).

Dubbing a series with only 2 actors is even worse than the English dub of Patlabor 3: WXIII (Wasted Thirteen), in which Richard Hayworth (Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin TV) plays all but one cop, and that one cop is played by Steve Kramer, who then plays 3 guys that are working on a ship together. Let us be thankful that dubs like these are about as rare as 4Kids NOT butchering an anime. Cool
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
uberfrosch wrote:
jgreen wrote:
How do you play an R2 DVD on and R1 machine, anyway?

Some DVD players can be hacked to become region free. Of course, it invalidates any warranty you may have, and some DVDs won't play on region free players, but it can be done.

If you have a PS2 or XBox (with DVD expansion), you could pick up Action Replay (or Gameshark), which has a multiregion DVD interpreter included with the software.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
(...) How do you play an R2 DVD on and R1 machine, anyway?

Ninja skillz and a Red Star R0 player (this player is probably one of those cheap chinese ones, but rocks).

Also, you can simply buy a no-*R/RW-capable DVD drive, and set it to R1 and your burner to R2, or the other way around. These players are BERY BERY cheap (a +/- & DL dvd burner costs <60euros these days (at least in PT), so those are what, <40?).
patch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up everyone, didn't realize that R2 DVD got released last month, time to place an order Cool

For the ones wondering how to watch R2 DVDs in R1, there are alot of region-free 'fixes' that you can apply to R1 DVD players to make them region free, search for your player at VideoHelp.com to see if there are any available.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
<sarcasm>Great now they are going to merge the SAC universe with the original movie/manga</sarcasm>

GITS is nice, but it's getting to the point where the series needs to take a break. The show has too many one dimenional characters that are beginning to where thin.

Maybe this will lead to a movie version of Man-Machine Interface...
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
I've heard some UK dubs before (the Guyver OVA) and they're pretty bad (I'm pretty sure the Guyver OVA was a UK dub, although it had Steve Blum and David Hayter (Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid games) in the cast).

No, that was actually a VERY early LA dub, from the now-defunct LA Hero -- when they went belly-up, Manga UK got most of their library. Almost every dub they made was ear-shatteringly terrible. Macross II, Outlanders (original release), Guyver, Ambassador Magma, Iczer One... Take your pick. Manga didn't re-dub any of 'em.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
[quote="Mohawk52]
Quote:
This may, in fact, be the best DVD Manga Video has ever produced. Pity it won't come out Stateside.

Well, since the rights to Dreamworks entire catalog has been sold, it's always possible for someone to buy off the rights to GitS 2, or for the new owners to possibly option Manga's dub for an R1 release. Not likely, but possible.

Ah, who am I kidding? Anime cry

I was about to tell you to read the article closer but that article doesn't have the same information the one I found had Embarassed.

Check this one out from Yahoo Entertainment News and there's another one here (your article looks to be this one here).

Anyway, these articles mention that what was sold was the "... all 59 DreamWorks live-action films released through September 15, 2005." So it seems Paramount/Viacom is keeping the animation library of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. Now how that effects the Anime Go Fish pictures had I haven't a clue but I think it's possible that Paraount/Viacom still has those rights seeing they aren't "live-action" films.

As to how you view a R2 PAL disk on a R1 machine - well it isn't as hard as you'd think. However, it isn't as easy either. My best laid plans fell apart when the player I picked up to play it on worked but none of the TV sets could handle the PAL signal Evil or Very Mad. However, it turned out my portable DVD player could handle PAL (it's really just a mini-monitor) and it did have a way to change its regions, so I didn't have to run the other DVD player through the in-line [BTW, I've noticed if you can Region 0/All Region a player, you can also change it to the actual region in question, as well]. So now I can watch the DVD but it's on a 7" screen Rolling Eyes The bizarre things I've done for fanish interest over the year Wink.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
And, coming full circle, I also threw in the MangaUK dub of AD Police Files, a late-in-life experiment where they tried to dub the entire cast with two actors. Let us be grateful for the progress.

Wow, that is amazingly stupid. I bet Captain Nancy Wilson was voiced by some old guy, and Chief Hideki Kurata was probably voiced by overracting 20-year-old college student. I've heard some UK dubs before (the Guyver OVA) and they're pretty bad (I'm pretty sure the Guyver OVA was a UK dub, although it had Steve Blum and David Hayter (Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid games) in the cast).

Dubbing a series with only 2 actors is even worse than the English dub of Patlabor 3: WXIII (Wasted Thirteen), in which Richard Hayworth (Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin TV) plays all but one cop, and that one cop is played by Steve Kramer, who then plays 3 guys that are working on a ship together. Let us be thankful that dubs like these are about as rare as 4Kids NOT butchering an anime. Cool
That was done back in the 90's. A ropey decade of anime dubbing where many mistakes were made by companies that were themselves in their infancy. But it has come along way from those days. Anyway "Innocence" was dubbed by the same VA's what did SAC, so what's the problem again?
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

Anyway, these articles mention that what was sold was the "... all 59 DreamWorks live-action films released through September 15, 2005." So it seems Paramount/Viacom is keeping the animation library of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. Now how that effects the Anime Go Fish pictures had I haven't a clue but I think it's possible that Paraount/Viacom still has those rights seeing they aren't "live-action" films.

Since they weren't owned by Dreamworks, just the distribution rights were, they probably aren't included and the distribution rights have more than likely reverted back to the owners.

Also, Dreamworks Animation wasn't part of the sale to Paramount/Viacom, as they were spun off months prior to the sale. However, Viacom does get distribution rights and has a financial stake in any future productions.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anyway "Innocence" was dubbed by the same VA's what did SAC, so what's the problem again?

There isn't one -- it's fantastic. We were talking about another PAL MangaUK disc that I ordered at the same time.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SlyphGlitch wrote:
<sarcasm>Great now they are going to merge the SAC universe with the original movie/manga</sarcasm>
The movie and the manga are two different universes and the TV can't merge with either of them because it's already too obviously a third "alternate world".

SlyphGlitch wrote:
GITS is nice, but it's getting to the point where the series needs to take a break. The show has too many one dimenional characters that are beginning to where thin.
Lupin has been going since the 60's, and the characters are as thin as you can get. So GITS should be OK> My only hope for SAC is that they let the human characters grow. Why is it that the Tachikomas have evolved, but Togusa is still shocked that "The System" is corrrupt (did he not see 1st gig?). When will Batou grow balls and ask Motoko out (you know he wants too)?

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Maybe this will lead to a movie version of Man-Machine Interface...
I doubt it, unless someone does the Puppet Master story again from scratch. Innocence had Motoko doing the remote body thing. SAC had Motoko playing "puppet master" back in first gig, amongst other things.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
A Production IG representative speaking on behalf of Ishikawa in Florida confirmed that Bandai Entertainment has licensed the movie.
patch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
A Production IG representative speaking on behalf of Ishikawa in Florida confirmed that Bandai Entertainment has licensed the movie.

Does this mean there will be a new R1 DVD release with the english dub?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2