• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favourite music and why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defunkled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has really talked about Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex too much. All three soundtracks are absolutely amazing, and I would rank them right behind Yoko Kanno's other masterpiece, Cowboy Bebop, which is pretty much untouchable. And who could forget the Wolf's Rain soundtrack? Escaflowne: The Movie's soundtrack? The woman is a genius.

And Taku Iwasaki's work on the Rurouni Kenshin OVA soundtrack is pure brilliance. Even Michiru Oshima's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa soundtrack is an awesome piece of music. I could go on for hours...

Smile
CardcaptorWatanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Naruto has some pretty great J-Rock songs that are just so addictive.You'll be singing them for ages.I still am.lol.They have bands like Orange Range and Captain Stridem[??] and a few other great bands I can't remeber.

FLCL has some pretty good music as well.You just can't beat The Pillows now can you? Laughing

Kino's Journey *sigh* Kino's Journey.Just get the box set,listen to the opening theme song,and you'll see what I mean. Very Happy.It's amazing and melodic. Embarassed

Genshiken Yes the opening theme song is pretty catchy as well.Even Kujibiki Unbalance has a great theme.

And of course,there is also Ghost in the Shell,Trigun has a pretty good one,Inuyasha,Vandread was quite good too. Smile
frouella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
If I only had to pick one, I'd say Cowboy Bebop. Not only is the opening song Tank! one of the most distinctive and original songs out there, but the rest of the soundtrack delves into so many different musical styles. Yoko Kanno is always a good bet (Wolf's Rain, Macross Plus, etc.), but she really outdoes herself with this one. I've already made arrangements to have songs from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack played at my funeral. I'm totally serious (um, and I'm also just now realizing how morbid this makes me sound...); it's that awesome! Of course, there are many other animes out there with music that I love, but I'm trying to just name my absolute first pick.

Rapsberry wrote:
I think I like Flame of Recca,God (?) Save our King, and Yu Yu Hakusho. And why this three? Well, it's maybe because these three are fantasy anime. I love fantasy anime Very Happy ,espesialy the one with dragons, magic power, misterious place, etc. Usually, those anime has great music Cool [/b]

Yay! I'm glad someone else likes the music to Kyou Kara Maou (God Save our King) too! Personally, I like the opening song the best (The Standup is a really fun band -- think of the Japanese version of Flogging Molly and you get a pretty good idea), but the rest of the music is suitably grand in a more orchestral kind of way. As for the Yu Yu Hakusho pick...sorry, you're going there alone. Razz
Satanachia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
dot.Hack//Sign would have to have my favorite music. It has a nice range of songs that'd make you cry like Grandpa's Violin, and songs that leave you in a daze of fantasy i.e. Digital Monsters. Basically for me any anime that has Kajiura Yuki doing the music is good. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
I definetly like the songs from Slam Dunk, inspirational. One recent series that carries songs that I like are the opening and ending theme songs to Rozen Maiden, because I like the way that there are these fast phrases being attempted. And then I like how terrible the girls' voices are.
Hiei77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:

mine to get this thing started would be Eva. it music is sometimes so symbolic of the anime, and can be so meaningful. i love the orcastral music especial Shinji on cello, i think its got to be one of the best anime pieces of music ever. the intro song sounds alright if you listen to it without seeing what’s on the screen, but added with the anime intro it becomes a quite powerful piece. i love the way this anime uses music in such an operatic and epic way while still trying to be modern and conventional. that’s why neon genesis is my favorite

thank you
space

I know man i just got the Platnium edition box set and i remebered how much i love the song. I have to agree with you 100% on how its better if you watch whats going on on the screen too. Gotta edit my post from eariler!
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The songs that inevitably get stuck in my head (and are therefore the most memorable,) are usually pretty odd... Currently got Dokuro-chans 'Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi' stuck in my head and the ending to Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was a permanent lodger in my head for a month or so.

I'm not sure if I can think of shows where the entire OST was great apart from the obvious ones like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop (which were both centred around the music anyway.) The most effective parts from these two were probably spoiler[ the mind blowing music in the episode of Samurai Champloo where Mugen nearly drowns, and the episode of Cowboy Bebop where Spike is falling through the church window. ] Both of those songs alone put these 2 series as a special mention for me.

Naruto is another really fun one where each song fits the mood perfectly and you can tell what is going to happen the second you hear each song starting. Also the first end music used for Naruto was *incredible* I really loved it and downloaded it. (Akeboshi - Wind.)

I also love the intro music of Monster and Elfen Lied.
RoryG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
the soundtrack to samurai x was good. the orchestral feel to was a nice change from the ordinary.
Johnni86

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally i think that the overall best soundtrack is Yoko Kanno's Escaflowne soundtrack expecially the Movie OST
I also really like the OSTs for Noir, GITS (movies and SAC), EVA(the end of eva ost is good), and FLCL
In addition i really like the Ah! My Goddess season 1 opening song and Magic Knight Rayearth Season2 opening.
Mr.Roboto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Opening:
Cowboy Bebop- I love it so much I could probably listen it over and over again. I downloaded it. I love the jazzy music to Cowboy Bebop.

Yu Yu Hakusho- I don't know why I love this song so much. Perfect opening for the anime and every time I hear it I know the best anime of all time is about to start. Of course I downloaded it too.

Samurai Champloo- I really like the hip hop style to Samurai Champloo and I downloaded the song. Really cool beat.

Ending:
Yu Yu Hakusho- I love all the ending themes to this. Cool beats and good singing. Especially Spirit Detective saga ending. Got that downloaded too.

Cowboy Bebop- The Real Folk Blues rules. Got that downloaded. All Cowboy Bebop music rules.

Inuyasha- Don't ask. Guilty pleasure ending music.
Sunnyd83

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo

I think the music to this show has a good, funky beat and it makes you wanna stomp your foot to the beat of the rhythm. I think it rocks!
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Gunslinger Girl. In particular the songs by the Delgados on that soundtrack are excellent. I'd also have to agree with the majority that Cowboy Bebop is wonderful. I think their musical choices were impeccable. One soundtrack I'm really into right now is The Twelve Kingdoms. The music is just lovely.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
My top songs from my top series:

Jewel from Le Portrait de Petit Cossette is hands down my top pick for an anime song. Marina Inoue's voice is haunting and moving, she really brings out the emotions of Yuki Kajiura's lyrics. Also, it fits perfectly with the series in my opinion. It's soothing to me. All of the music in this series is amazing but Jewel is the apex.

Koikaze from, well, Koi Kaze is very lovely and has a very unusal feel to it. With it's "should I or souldn't I?" lyrics, it's absolutely perfect for the series. Listening to this song, feeling the emotions of it, something about it makes me feel introspective. The music in this series is easy to ignore, but after you've watched a couple of times you realize just how important it is.

D-tecnolife from Bleach. To me, this song captures the feelings and intentions of Ichigo perfectly. Not only does it fit the arc but it is extremely energetic and combined with the images that play, it's also a great battle song. The music in this series is so varied and rich that it was very hard to be just one song as a showcase.

Secret Game from Noir. Yuki Kajiura is not human. She is a goddess. Noir already has an incredible soundtrack, but this one takes the cake for me. It is powerful and will kick you in the face with it's sheer sadness. spoiler[I think it only plays on the english dub when Chloe dies but I'm not sure. I remember reading that in a post but I've never checked the Japanese track to find out.] The music in this series is melancholy one moment and bursting with action the next. The ending Beautiful Emotions feels almost out of place with the rest of the series.
sirkozmo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, its a 3-way tie with GITS:SAC, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo

GITS:SAC simply because of the contrasting blend of hardcore rock/techno with songs like "Run Rabbit Junk" during those intense scenes/action sequences and smooth/serene tunes of "I Do" for the philosophical/reflective dialogue.

With Cowboy Bebop, almost the same holds true as far as a genre is concerned as the Funk/Acid Jazzy setting compliments but never overshadows the melodic/pacifying ballads. It helps you to remember that although the settting illustrates a time and place set in the future (early-mid 21st century), there is an almost 1920's tone as far as the plot/theme is concerned.

As I said in a previous post concerning my top 10 favorite anime, when it comes to Samurai Champloo, its all about where the grind of Hip Hop meets the edge of a sword. All four soundtracks are in constant rotation on my iPod when I'm in my car, at work, or just lounging at home. Even some of the more smoother R/B cuts I find myself bobbing my head to. My best friend who is an avid Wu-Tang Clan fan is one who cannot stand anything and everything anime, but I showed him one episode of Samurai Champloo and he was hooked in by the background tunes instantly. If it wasn't for this soundtrack, he never would've came over to the 'dark side' Cool .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
ShikamaChU wrote:
Juuni KokkiSoundrack

Definitely. The Twelve Kingdoms soundtrack did have it's fair share of ancient Japanese (Chinese?) type music with shamisen, goto, and other traditional instruments, but Ryou Kunihiko definitely knows how to utilize many different styles. Some tracks sound very contemporary classical, others are blended in very well with synthetic instruments, and eletric guitar as well. One track, Fuushin, is something I'd expect from the Hunter x Hunter soundtrack (just the style of the track in and of itself). My favorite track in the album is Yasougetsuna, because I just really like traditional asian instruments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15