• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trailer Watch: Prince of Tennis, Joshikousei Girl's High

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Just what Genre/demographic does "Girls High" fit into? It said Girls High so I assumed tween/teen girls, but then it had a lot of fanservice shots, or were those just site-gags?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Just what Genre does "Girls High" fit into? It said Girls High so I assumed tween/teen girls, but then it had a lot of fanservice shots, or were those just site-gags?

I flipped through the manga and it looked like a shonen fare to me. I could be wrong, but the trailer doesn't do anything to alter that thought.

---

The live action Prince of Tennis movie can't be worse than the animated movie, so I'm excited to see it. At least the kid actually looks and sounds like Ryoma. No one else does though, except Kaidoh...
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Most of the people in the Tenipuri movie are from the musical. I'm mighty happy for Sainei Ryuji for being casted. =3
pandorina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenpuri looks hot. Cast looks and sounds great. I am looking forward to it.
domino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The Prince of Tennis movie looks awesome. I wonder how they'll pull it off, since the cast includes everything from musical actors to movie actors to TV actors to J-pop idols to the manga author himself.

In April they're releasing a "behind the scenes" DVD with movie commentary, too... so far the tennis scenes look impressive. I look forward to seeing those insane tennis moves made into "real life", since in the musicals they couldn't use a real ball...
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Most of the people in the Tenipuri movie are from the musical. I'm mighty happy for Sainei Ryuji for being casted. =3

I wanted to think there were some people from the musical, but I wasn't 100% sure. Who from the musical is in the movie?
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, what a wonderful little teaser for the PoT live action. I'm still trying to get up my courage to watch the animated movie. It just doesn't sound good. But just that little tease from the LA makes me want to see it very badly. Besides, I rather loved the Dream Live First musical that I saw. I have this strange love of LA stuff based on anime/manga.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Just what Genre does "Girls High" fit into? It said Girls High so I assumed tween/teen girls, but then it had a lot of fanservice shots, or were those just site-gags?

I flipped through the manga and it looked like a shonen fare to me. I could be wrong, but the trailer doesn't do anything to alter that thought.

I've been reading the manga and I honestly can't tell whether it is supposed to be shonen or shoujo. Apparently, it runs in a magazine that targets boys and girls, so that may be why it is hard to tell.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

I wanted to think there were some people from the musical, but I wasn't 100% sure. Who from the musical is in the movie?

The Seigaku in the movie are the exact same cast as the Seigaku in the musicals (but the SECOND musical cast that debuted in the Yamabuki musical, not the first). Other musical cast members (including some of the first-round Seigaku cast) are rumored to have minor appearances in the musical as other characters (Sanada, Amane, etc).
belly button lint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
RezSav wrote:

I've been reading the manga and I honestly can't tell whether it is supposed to be shonen or shoujo. Apparently, it runs in a magazine that targets boys and girls, so that may be why it is hard to tell.

I think it's more shonen than shoujo, but then, some girls may relate to some of their antics. Try flipping through the English version in a bookstore, "High School Girls" by DrMaster. The scenes from the trailer actually happened in the manga.
fujiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
also, shimatani hitomi is playing ryuzaki sumire (the tennis coach). isn`t she a tad bit too young to be a grandma? hahahah, i can`t wait to see the LA!

and is iwata sayuri supposed to be sakuno? i don`t understand japanese...
shimahito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I really really wanna see the LA Tennis no Oujisama, I think it seems great from what little I've seen of it. I've GOT to see it. Anime smile
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The author based it on her (yes, HER Wink) own experiences, so the perspective differs slightly from the usual shonen fanservice fluff. The High School Girls manga is amusingly as dirty as it is honest and I wonder how much of some of the more risque scenes will carry over - this IS a TV series after all.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The author based it on her (yes, HER Wink) own experiences, so the perspective differs slightly from the usual shonen fanservice fluff. The High School Girls manga is amusingly as dirty as it is honest and I wonder how much of some of the more risque scenes will carry over - this IS a TV series after all.

Yeah, somehow I can't see the last weightloss method making it into the TV show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1