• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KOTOKO at A-Kon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Hammock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I am happy or not. KOTOKO is okay... but I was honestly expecting more.

Word has it that they have planned more than one guest though..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
You see, this news would be awesome if instead of A-Kon, it said AWA.

But, it didn't, so, it's not... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steven Hammock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
Who knows? She has toured before.... Geneon has no reason not to promote her this year... she has an album coming out here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Steven:
Quote:
I don't know if I am happy or not. KOTOKO is okay... but I was honestly expecting more.

Seriously. To the people who run these cons, we don't visit just to watch j-pop artists in concert. And to the record labels, the only artists who've been remotely successful here are Puffy Ami Yumi; and that's because they have their own show. Instead of depressing your singers by forcing them to play in a half-full stadium of otaku, how about booking them on "Hi Hi"?!
Cloud3X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Kotoko is a pretty good band the song they did for shakugan no shana was good.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

It's great since it's only less than 30 minutes away from me....but I do agree, she's a bit dated now, but at least everyone has heard one of her songs some time or another Very Happy
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
Who is she?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:48 am Reply with quote
RezSav: Exactly.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote
This is good. Out of the I'VE Sound group, KOTOKO has the most exposure to the audience outside of Japan. She's by far the most outstanding artist in the group, with Kawada Mami coming second (followed by god knows where KAORI and AKI are, since they don't have much publicity other than game music).
Although this isn't her first tour in the US, it is nevertheless increasing her popularity.

I've always liked her music (being an I'VE fan myself). Theme songs from Onegai Teacher will always (if not usually) be there when she appears live, because that's what took her high and popular into the anime department.

Sadly, all conventions are out of my reach. Though I'd like to get some photos from people who do visit though (hehehehe Rolling Eyes ).

I hope there will be interviews around put on websites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well, don't count on it. I remember when they said "Submit your questions to Shinichiro Watanabe!" about a month ago, and no word yet on that interview! Unless it was posted in the forums and I've just missed it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

*The Price is Right losing horns* Twisted Evil

Well, it certainly seems that she's getting around the con circuit, which isn't such a bad thing. Hopefully, there will be a warm reception for her.

Even if I lived in Texas, though, I wouldn't be sure I'd go to the concert. I can normally only take KOTOKO in small doses (10-15 minutes max) before I need to listen to something a little more aurally pleasing.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Seriously. To the people who run these cons, we don't visit just to watch j-pop artists in concert. And to the record labels, the only artists who've been remotely successful here are Puffy Ami Yumi; and that's because they have their own show. Instead of depressing your singers by forcing them to play in a half-full stadium of otaku, how about booking them on "Hi Hi"?!

Very true, although picking the right choice can pack them in, like the Pillows (who aren't really j-POP, I suppose) who sold out one show and most of a second show at ACen (despite that second show being at the VERY un-rock n' roll time of noon on Saturday.

Speaking of ACen, their guest list is kinda light on Japanese guests, innit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jpopusa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Steven Hammock wrote:

Word has it that they have planned more than one guest though..

More will be announced soon. It takes a long time to finalize booking of Japanese acts as there are so many details involved. Please be patient.
NezuChiza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Best thing KOTOKO has done is Bakuhatsu da Mo-n. Also known as "That song from Troubled Windows" Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1