• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free Advent Children Screening in LA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shintot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yea, the population of NYC is 10x that of DE. Of course I was joking though... most populated areas in the Northeast are within 3 hours of NYC, so travelling isn't such a big deal. The only problem comes with the movies where you do not know whether they will receive a wide release, because with the cost of gas now, it hardly seems worth it (I know that wasn't the case with FF:VII, but it wasn't in NYC either)!
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know...if the movie will be shown in Japanese Dialogue with English subtitles...or will be dubbed?... i know that they found American voice actors for it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
Does anyone know...if the movie will be shown in Japanese Dialogue with English subtitles...or will be dubbed?... i know that they found American voice actors for it..

Me thinks it'll be the dubbed version to create some hype about the DVD/umd release.
ananda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Yes. They will be showing Advent Children in English.

I would loooove to go to the LA screening...unfortunately, for me, it's too far way. Sad

It has been confirmed that many of the 'Key Cast' members will be present at the screening; I know that Crispin Freeman will be there, I don't want to think about who else might be there as well...
Why do I have to live so far away, WHY?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering how early I have to be to get in...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
So I'm in, but I had to wait in the rain. (Luckily, there was a crevice I could stand under during that time.)
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
^Lucky you!
I’m expecting a full Report later on Very Happy

Hope you're having fun!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
So, um yeah, the show started half an hour late, and we sat through infomercials of KH 2 and Dirge of Cerberus, the latter of which features Gackt's music. The audience consisted of cosplaying otaku who somehow were able to ditch school to get their passes hours earlier. There was a l33t hax0r next to me who's apparently seen a ton of stuff, including the Phantom Edit. (He joked that they didn't give away free dvds, because everybody had already seen it.) The female actresses could have dubbed a lot less stifly than their male counterparts. Not sure if you're the 1% of people who haven't downloaded AC already, but it's just basically the action from every Jump anime ever made combined with the storyline from every Ghibli film ever made. spoiler[Cloud overcomes his Ashitaka-like struggle, finally springs into action with Kenshin's techniques, and then turns into Jesus at the end.]

No Q+A, unfortunately, but Nomura, Steve Burton(who I thought was David Boreanaz) Rachael Leigh Cook and Mena Suvari were there. Cook and Suvari looked out of their element, while Nomura could have been in a visual kei band in a different life. Lucky people got free swag which amounted to PSPs, PSP accessories, and autographed booklets featured at the Japanese release. The rest of us got import CDs and posters. I was going to get Nomura to autograph it, but he was nowhere to be found. But the voice actors for Reno and Rufus were around and nice enough to hang out for a bit. I told Wally he looked like one of those guys from Spinal Tap, and he appreciated the compliment.
ananda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for reporting back!!!Very Happy

I actually haven't seen AC yet; but I don't expect to much from it, in terms of story that is...

GATSU wrote:
the show started half an hour late, and we sat through infomercials of KH 2 and Dirge of Cerberus,

Did you hear some of the English voices of Dirge of Cerberus?

GATSU wrote:

But the voice actors for Reno and Rufus were around and nice enough to hang out for a bit. I told Wally he looked like one of those guys from Spinal Tap, and he appreciated the compliment.

So Quinton Flynn was there too?!? Darn...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Nah, the preview of Dirge was in Japanese w/ subs.
UnknownFactor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
There was a l33t hax0r next to me who's apparently seen a ton of stuff, including the Phantom Edit. (He joked that they didn't give away free dvds, because everybody had already seen it.)

LOL You must be talking about me and my buddy (big guy in grey shirt w/laptop and tall black guy in white shirt). You were the guy sitting to the left of us right? LOL Small world. Movie was cool, had some issues with the english dub (sorry, I nitpick the small things), got to shake hands with the legendary director, and I walked away with some cool swag. I am so going to encase the press kit (signed by Tetsuya Nomura) in glass asap. I'll agree that the eng actors seemed out of their element with all the fanboys around (I mean the regular actors like Mena Suvari. The voice actors like Crispin Freeman who were there were completely comfortable in that environment.), but the Japanese staff that was there was treated like royalty. Overall it was an awesome night. Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Unknown: Now I feel like that computer-savvy dude from Cromartie. Laughing

Quote:
got to shake hands with the legendary director,

Wow, lucky you. I was going to do that, but I just got worn out at the end of the day.
ananda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
hey check this out:
http://www.siliconera.com/2006/04/04/final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-us-premiere/

There got some pictures and brief interviews with The English VAs at the AC Premiere.
Oh I soooo wished I could have been there and meet them all!!! this is probably never going to happen again; have all my favorite English VAs in ONE PLACE!!! (...well most of them at least)

Come to think of it, has Steve Staley EVER attended any Anime Cons of some sorts? I would really like to meet him one day...
shintot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Agk! Rachel Leigh!? I really should pay attention to the Eng V.A. more often. Always wanted to meet her in person, another reason this is a bummer that it is only a once in a lifetime oppourtunity...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2