• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kalafina Trio to Perform at Anime Expo in L.A.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infjeff

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry I can't beleive I missed them in 2009. I'll be in California in July, but I think it will be after AX. These women are spectacular, hopefully I'll be able to see them in concert one day.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
And so my hatred for California continues.

Just kidding... mostly, but definitely a wonderful performance it shall be.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, that's pretty nifty. When singers come to perform at conventions, do they ever sing the songs based in presently unlicensed shows? If Madoka Magica hasn't made any significant headway in being licensed by that point in time, I wonder if that would factor into whether or not they sung "Magia", which is a fine song in its own right.

Or could something interesting be done... like sing "Magia", and then within the next day or two a company (preferably Funimation or some company with strong ties to BangZoom!) announces the license of Madoka? That'd be really sweet.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Thu May 05, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that they will sing most of the songs tied to anime, regardless of them being licensed or not. My personal favorite of theirs that is tied to anime is "I have a Dream", but "Magia" and the themes for Kara no Kyoukai and the Sora no Woto OP are beautiful as well.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I had them on a list of "groups I want to definitely see", but right now the cost of flying out to CA is making a trip look very unlikely Sad Sad, since I enjoyed Anime Expo in general (and the Morning Musume concert) when I got to go in 2009.
anemayfan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Shocked Now I'm excited about AX 2011! Hopefully Kalafina is just the start and AX will secure other performers for this year.

Animerican14 wrote:
do they ever sing the songs based in presently unlicensed shows?

Macross Frontier remains unlicensed to this day, but it didn't deter May'n, Megumi Nakajima, and Yoko Kanno from performing the theme songs during AX 2010. So I would assume Kalafina will perform all their anime related songs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I declare this as "unfair" to people who aren't rich enough to fly out there >.<

Hate living in the middle of no where
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
We probably won't be so lucky to get them at Otakon.
BockLefty

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
That does it, I'm going to Anime Expo. First they are showing the new Last Exile, now Kalafina is playing? Why can't Fanime get this type of stuff?
nhat

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Dang Kalafina I want to see them. They are very unique in their performances and seeing them live would be great.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:
That does it, I'm going to Anime Expo. First they are showing the new Last Exile, now Kalafina is playing? Why can't Fanime get this type of stuff?
Why can't Otakon get this kind of stuff? There is a HUGE difference between what AX, the #1 con, and Otakon, the #2 con, gets.

Shoot, Otakon has even been upstaged by upstart Anime Boston, as mentioned here already.

Otakon is a very crowded, very expensive logistical nightmare with little payoff. I'd endure those 3 issues with aplomb if the payoff was good, but it's woeful too many times. Other East Coast area cons have far better litanies of English guests, and when it comes to J-guests (where Otakon's budget should make it king), Otakon drops the issue. Animazement all but upstages them on this front.

The best Otakon ever got was JAM Project, but it wasn't the entirety of the band, which was majorly disappointing. Even that was outclassed by AX getting Daisuke Ishiwatari (Though you guys wasted the voice opportunity with "Gun Flame". Seriously, not even a "bandit revolver"?!)

Maybe the scraps that get thrown under the table for Otakon will be exceptional this year. I keep going in that hope.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I declare this as "unfair" to people who aren't rich enough to fly out there >.<

Go Greyhound? ^^;
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Go Greyhound? ^^;
Only if you're truly desperate. Greyhound is no fun. Going long-distance on greyhound, especially if the bus is crowded, is a hellacious experience. It should earn you some points for being a dedicated fan. Laughing

Less than Amtrak/road tripping, but more than flying or simply not going, in my "esteemed" opinion Wink
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
Just another reason why I hate L.A. They get all the great stuff while a three day drive north of them never gets anything fun.

I love Kalafina so much. I really hate that they're going to L.A.....WHY. I hope Expo attendees appreciate them as much as I would if I saw them live.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Do you mean a 3 hour drive? Cause it's hard to imagine San Francisco as being 3 days away from Los Angeles (even with traffic).

And 3 hours isn't anything at all. As a resident of Texas, 3 hours away by car is close.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2