Forum - View topic
NEWS: HarperCollins, Tokyopop Announce Co-Publishing Deal


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Baggie



Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
So can we look forward to fewer Japanese/Korean translations, and more of the crappy OEL titles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12491

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Will we see the reverse? (I.E. novelizations of Tokyopop manga.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 1820
Location: Tekkoshocon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Baggie wrote:
So can we look forward to fewer Japanese/Korean translations, and more OEL titles?


I thought they were already moving in that direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HanatoYume



Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Great, now my Lizzie McGuire Cinemanga won't be lonely Rolling Eyes

So I'm assuming they're going to create Princess Diaries Comics and sell them as "manga"? This is why Viz is so much better...SO much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abarenbo Shogun



Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 1573

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
And so TOKYOPOP slowly ruins their good name.....I can only sense much hardship with this alliance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anrui Ukimi



Joined: 01 Apr 2004
Posts: 22
Location: Moreno Valley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with Tokyopop releasing OEL (Original English Language, I presume) materials, in fact, I enjoy some of them. (Considering I just got my Sea Princess Azuri volume today)

However, it becomes problematic when the quality of their primary base of manga and manhwa begins to waver in response. I enjoy the original English works, but the 'cinemangas' are silly. Among other things.

I guess we can only wait and see how it turns out.


~Anrui out!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
linlinchan



Joined: 05 Nov 2004
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Anrui Ukimi wrote:
I have no problem with Tokyopop releasing OEL (Original English Language, I presume) materials, in fact, I enjoy some of them. (Considering I just got my Sea Princess Azuri volume today)

However, it becomes problematic when the quality of their primary base of manga and manhwa begins to waver in response. I enjoy the original English works, but the 'cinemangas' are silly. Among other things.

I guess we can only wait and see how it turns out.


~Anrui out!


And there is no sign of that happening. OEL publishing frequency has increased, but that does not mean an automatic drop in quality or quantity of manga or manhwa published.
In fact, I think there are a lot of manga coming up this year that are really worthwhile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abarenbo Shogun



Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 1573

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:

And there is no sign of that happening. OEL publishing frequency has increased, but that does not mean an automatic drop in quality or quantity of manga or manhwa published.
In fact, I think there are a lot of manga coming up this year that are really worthwhile.


They still haven't improved the translation of Initial D. I predict that as soon as Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift comes out, TOKYOPOP will try to capitalize on this by degrading the script to the point of absurdity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ztarr



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 44
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
1) I wish people wouldn't be prejudice against "OEL".

2) I wish everyone would stop using the term "OEL".

3) Manga can be geared towards a broader target audience than traditional comics. Some manga is geared towards pre-teen girls, and not 30 year old star wars fans who live with their mom.

Just because there hasn't been a hugely successful english produced manga yet, doesn't mean you have to be japanese to make great manga.

Grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jmays
ANN Associate Editor


Joined: 29 Jul 2002
Posts: 1390
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I must say I'm pretty stunned by all the negative comments. This is HarperCollins we're talking about here, not some shady amateur operation. Tokyopop has to prove it can make something good with HC's authors, of course, but to be so skeptical this early in the game just seems silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Reliak



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
1) I wish people wouldn't be prejudice against "OEL".

2) I wish everyone would stop using the term "OEL".

3) Manga can be geared towards a broader target audience than traditional comics. Some manga is geared towards pre-teen girls, and not 30 year old star wars fans who live with their mom.

Just because there hasn't been a hugely successful english produced manga yet, doesn't mean you have to be japanese to make great manga.

Grow up.


True, but honestly? All the OEL I've seen so far kind of...sucked. Most just try to mimic manga's style and don't bring anything original to the scene.

Though I do agree (sort of) on not calling it "OEL." Just call it comics. It's not manga because it's not produced in Japan - the Koreans don't call their manwha "manga" after all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Patachu
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1325
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
1) I wish people wouldn't be prejudice against "OEL".

2) I wish everyone would stop using the term "OEL".


Do you have a sensible reason for this, or are you just trying to win a contest to be the Most Annoying Person On The Internet?

I was the first person to use "OEL" back in April '05, so you better have a really good answer for me.

I don't usually take it too personally if someone disagrees with a term I invented for my own personal convenience (and somehow got into the upper echelons of the comic publishing industry), but you're being such an insufferable tard about this that I just want to know WHAT THE HELL YOUR PROBLEM IS AND WHY.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6142

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is how exactly this is going to effect Tokyopop's business. But as far as I can tell, this won't have any effect on their translations, good or bad. I would assume this will affect distribution more than anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ztarr



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 44
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Ztarr wrote:
1) I wish people wouldn't be prejudice against "OEL".

2) I wish everyone would stop using the term "OEL".


I was the first person to use "OEL" back in April '05, so you better have a really good answer for me.

I don't usually take it too personally if someone disagrees with a term I invented for my own personal convenience (and somehow got into the upper echelons of the comic publishing industry), but you're being such an insufferable tard about this that I just want to know WHAT THE HELL YOUR PROBLEM IS AND WHY.


1) I don't think any manga should have a seperate label just because of the native origins of the author/artist.

2) I find that the term has a slight negative meaning to readers who have heard of the term. There hasn't been a lot of GREAT non-jp produced titles in the NA market yet, and so a lot of people think the term "OEL" relates to "amateur" "sub-standard" or "not authentic".

Quote:
Though I do agree (sort of) on not calling it "OEL." Just call it comics. It's not manga because it's not produced in Japan - the Koreans don't call their manwha "manga" after all.


"Manga", "manhwa", and "manhua" are all cognates... they all have the same origin.

From a marketing POV, you need the term manga...because here in NA, when you say "Comics", most people think of superheroes, Archie, or newspaper comic strips. Manga is marketed, in general, to a different audience than comics. Trust me, there's a big difference...especially when it comes to promotion and selling. Big chain book stores will gladly sell all kinds of MANGA...but would be skeptical about carrying COMICS. Also, I hightly doubt there will ever be a seperate "OEL Manga" section...it's not needed, it's not marketable, and it doesn't even sound nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reliak



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
"Manga", "manhwa", and "manhua" are all cognates... they all have the same origin.

From a marketing POV, you need the term manga...because here in NA, when you say "Comics", most people think of superheroes, Archie, or newspaper comic strips. Manga is marketed, in general, to a different audience than comics. Trust me, there's a big difference...especially when it comes to promotion and selling. Big chain book stores will gladly sell all kinds of MANGA...but would be skeptical about carrying COMICS. Also, I hightly doubt there will ever be a seperate "OEL Manga" section...it's not needed, it's not marketable, and it doesn't even sound nice.


Manga and manwha have the same word origin, that's pretty obvious. So what? That doesn't make them interchangeable.

If American comics (or graphic novels, which might be a better term) showed up in Japan, they'd be called manga, just like if an American cartoon shows up in Japan it gets called anime. This doesn't make Loony Toons anime; "anime" is a term limited towards animation produced in Japan. The same should be applied to "manga" as well. Call it graphic novels or comics or picture books or what have you, it doesn't make it a manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group