• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10th Osamu Tezuka Cultural Award Finalists Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well.. honestly? I want Nana to win...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Great nominations. I'm suprised to see Igarashi's new series on there; he's really one of the best young talents in manga today. I'm betting on Histore after the judges snubbed it in favor of Pluto last year. Nana's a possibility becuase of the movie, though the judges rarely go for anything but seinen. To be honest, I like Nana alot, but it just doesn't deserve it compared to what it's up against.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
From the ones I've read, my personal vote would go to REAL. It's just got that mainstream appeal for the common man in the form of basketball but with some real emotional and heartwarming storytelling. Great stuff, it REALLY needs to be licensed. Come on Viz, lets see it on your Signature line please.
cherry_blossom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Well.. honestly? I want Nana to win...

I'm with you. That's the series I'm rooting for as well Very Happy
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hitoshi Iwaaki's "Historie" is my favorite.
from back cover of volume 1
Quote:
The story is about boyhood of Eumenes,
who would later became Alexander thr Great's secretarial officer.
One night, he dreamed of a mysterious lady.

Though I wonder why Iwaaki choose him as a protagonist
since a historical fact is he eventually lost his war and was killed.
shamelessfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Where are people reading Historie? Has it been translated in a different language, or are these people just fluent in Japanese? It seems to be getting the thumbs up from everybody who reads it, and I'm not talking about the "lol bleach roxxx" type of readers, so that's enough critical acclaim to have me interested in it.

Good ol' Tezukas, they seem to be pretty reliable in giving a good list of stuff to look out for.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Since they're often a good predictor of the Tezukas, it would be a good idea to take a look at the Media Arts Awards. Shissou Nikki got the grand prize this year, and sure enough it's up for the award. It should be noted that the Tezukas are typically more mainstream than the MAAs (as seen when they gave Pluto the prize over the much better Yunagi no Machi last year), so that could cost it the award (I have yet to read Nikki, but from the art it looks more artsy than the Tezuka's usually are). I'd probobly pick Histore or REAL to go all the way; Histore because of the critical acclaim and REAL because it's by one of the most popular manga-ka today (and it's quite good).
Quote:
Where are people reading Historie? Has it been translated in a different language, or are these people just fluent in Japanese? It seems to be getting the thumbs up from everybody who reads it, and I'm not talking about the "lol bleach roxxx" type of readers, so that's enough critical acclaim to have me interested in it.

Yeah, basically people who can read Japanese. I'm suprised that no one has scanslated it yet. I'm hoping Darkhorse picks it up, or maybe Del Rey (though their "Mature" line unfortunatally seems to be going into a ho-hum direction with titles that just have graphic content).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1