• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Creates Syndicated Anime Block

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief2BeaR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
I believe people have found their new AU, though I can't find the channel on my Dish reciever, anyone know the channel number?
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I checked through the channels (which is a labrious endeavor when you have satellite) and found that Colours TV is channel 9407 on Dish Network. I'm in Florida, so I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but give it a shot. What's to lose? My hope is that they'll show Case Closed on there. Anime smile
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
@Chief2BeaR: Look here for the info.

Does CoLours TV exist outside of DISH network?
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs*

I've no idea...I'll have to see what channel Colours is for us out here in California.

*Wonders what shows will air*
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
When I see the word "syndicated" I take it to mean that perhaps optimistically this block will be eventually offered to TV stations around the country, not just cable TV stations with low to middling carriage. It would be quite a coup if FUNimation can parlay this into something that can be shown over-the-air on one of my local TV stations. Imagine, getting some good airtime on a somewhat decent timeslot once a week....

I hope FUNimation can take the plunge in that direction sometime in the future.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
I personally don't think that anime can survive intact if it airs on a non-cable station. It would just undergo the type of edits/localizations that 4Kids does. I just hope that a Time-Warner channel picks up the FUNimation anime block.
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:08 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I personally don't think that anime can survive intact if it airs on a non-cable station. It would just undergo the type of edits/localizations that 4Kids does. I just hope that a Time-Warner channel picks up the FUNimation anime block.

Why would FUNi even bother editing it to meet standards, and minimally if any? We're not talking a weekly timeslot on Saturday morning, we're talking something like in the late afternoon or early evening or late evening. It's not like it's going to be edited with a hacksaw because primarily children will be watching.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Because the medium involved (animation) will attract children and parents who think that it is meant for their child. When those perceived standards aren't met, then the complaints and adverse advertisement starts and sponsors start leaving. Loss of income for the station. Bad advertisement for Funimation.

Then, there are the edits for commercials and to fit it into a certain timeslot.

Also, isn't it up until a certain time of the day that standards are in place for what type of content can be shown on regular TV?

Edit:

Hey, guess what's else was on the ICv2 page! The proposed list of titles for the FUNimation syndication block. Look here for details.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Examinee 623 wrote:
I checked through the channels (which is a labrious endeavor when you have satellite) and found that Colours TV is channel 9407 on Dish Network. I'm in Florida, so I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but give it a shot. What's to lose? My hope is that they'll show Case Closed on there. Anime smile

Yeah, I checked, and Colours is on the same channel here, as well, and I'm in California, so, I assume that it'll be the same for everyone else here who has DISH Network.

*Looks at the "proposed" list*

Maybe I'll finally get to see the episodes I missed of Yu Yu Hakusho(a lot of them, it seems...the last episode I saw was the last "Yusuke vs. Toguro" episode), if they show it at a time when I'll be watching...
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't have Dish Network.
Is Colour on Direct TV? I checked the site and I couldn't find a single thing about who host's the channel.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I have Dish and I recently found the channel somethere in the 9000s. The thing is, they didn't have anime on it. When is this FUNimation block scheduled to start airing?
Meson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
Colours is one of Dish Network's public access/interest channels, so the editing may be to [adult swim] standards.

I have DIsh Netowrk. I should look for this program so I can record it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1