• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - April 1st - April 7th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Right. How dare they mess with our untouchable sacred anime?! Blasphemy! Rolling Eyes

One night of gags and everybody gets all weird about it. In case you haven’t noticed before tonight, [as] is always stupid and immature; that's their style.

Life is so serious already, and it really needs to be a bit less so, so what’s the harm in something like what [as] did? Sure it's juvenile and silly, but so what? It doesn't hurt to lighten up a little one day a year.

i don't have any problem with gags(remembers the mustache incident), but this particular one just wasn't funny... it was stupid and lame.
malikchan17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
patch wrote:
LordByronius wrote:
....but the reason Cowboy Bebop....is because those shows had dubs that were produced for home video FIRST; their TV airings came much later....

Just is noticed LordByronius is the author of the article? If so how do you explain the exclusion of Samurai Champloo since you can't use the same excuse you used to not have Cowboy Bebop mentioned?

Because the Samurai Champloo dub isn't very good?

Actually, the Champloo dub is excellent, up with the ranks of the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh man! They aired a Mr T cartoon and I missed it. Crying or Very sad God, I can't believe I missed that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to get into my opinion of the FMA dub for the thousanth time, but I just can't fathom why it would be on a list of great dubs. I thought that many of the VAs, despite their talent, utterly failed their characters. But if you're judging by the transition of the script, I would say that it does a (mostly) excellent job.

I'm surprised The Big O isn't on the list. I don't remember whether it was available on home video first, but I can imagine if it hadn't been, it would be on the list. It has a strong cast all around, even some of the minor characters are voiced well. The main four, though, (Roger, Dorothy, Dastun, and Angel) are especially strong. In addition, the script seems to be well-done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i don't have any problem with gags(remembers the mustache incident), but this particular one just wasn't funny... it was stupid and lame.

That was the idea. The humour comes from the fact that's is so ridiculously stupid, silly goose. : )
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Case Closed as #10? Well, I guess that's only because there aren't that many made-for-TV dubs...

But seriously, even if we completely disregard the whole purist dumbed-down argument, I can't say I'd agree. I really think Case Closed is not a good dub, not even given its circumstances. If it had been dubbed at the same time as, say, the original Speed Racer, then I guess I could understand, but as a dub, it's so... 80s... It essentially just takes the Japanese version, makes some cuts and name changes here and there, then regurgitates it. Enough to piss off purists, but not enough to be innovative at all... (I'd equate it to just about any post-Pokemon 90s TV dub, just with more changes.)

I say Brian just stuck it in to take a jab at the purists XDDD.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I say Brian just stuck it in to take a jab at the purists XDDD.

Despite the fact that I don't really agree with the list, it's his opinion, not mine. And hope he did. I hate purists.

And is it just me, or does it seem like every blurb on Eva is a little jab at that, too? ; P
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm not going to get into my opinion of the FMA dub for the thousanth time, but I just can't fathom why it would be on a list of great dubs. I thought that many of the VAs, despite their talent, utterly failed their characters. But if you're judging by the transition of the script, I would say that it does a (mostly) excellent job.

Well, I disagree as well as many others. Matter of fact, I don't like the japanese cast of FMA. I think FMA is a prime example of just how good a dub can be and the voice acting in it is mostly fluid and natural with a script that stays close to the original. FMA is a terrific dub, but I do understand the beliefs to the contrary. After all, to many fans dubs are inherently inferior or bad no matter how well they're done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SK DarkDragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
v1cious wrote:

That was the idea. The humour comes from the fact that's is so ridiculously stupid, silly goose. : )

What did AS do this year? Anime hyper; I missed it! I remember the mustache episodes, though.
vherub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't have been that long ago that a list would have been impossible, so far has dubbing come in just 5 years. What used to be retched has now become a serious and viable alternative to enjoying anime. The joke really is only on dubhaters.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
SK DarkDragon wrote:
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
v1cious wrote:

What did AS do this year? Anime hyper; I missed it! I remember the mustache episodes, though.

They added an overabundance of "fart-noises" to everyone's sacred FMA and GiTS: SAC. While I'm not a fan of flatulence humour, I liked this joke since it was done intentionally to annoy everyone.

Remember, the essence of the joke is not the fart-noises, it's the fact that they're just trying to annoy you. I thought it was pretty funny in that aspect.
Ceru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, I disagree as well as many others. Matter of fact, I don't like the japanese cast of FMA. I think FMA is a prime example of just how good a dub can be and the voice acting in it is mostly fluid and natural with a script that stays close to the original. FMA is a terrific dub, but I do understand the beliefs to the contrary. After all, to many fans dubs are inherently inferior or bad no matter how well they're done.

I enjoyed the dub for the most part but I still liked the Japanese voices better-- primarily because whoever cast Roy's english voice must have been stoned out of his noggin. It's AWFUL though. But then again I'm very tuned to accent, and the Texan drawl is pretty obvious to me. If you want an example of where that accent takes over and consumes a show, check out the Fruits Basket dub. It's like getting boxed in the ears.

Back on the topic of FMA dub,
Al, MAN. That kid is in-freakin-credible! He is probably the best one on the whole dub, it's just unbelieveable. Very impressive. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3