• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eden of the East: King of Eden DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
After this much time of no one posting, I think it's obvious that everyone is quite speechless of the B+/A- rating.

Still, acknowledging the strengths(and Kenji's near-constant underuse), is something that should be done.

But what's taking so long on that FLCL re-release review?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What? I thought it was excellent. It looked great and I wasn't bored for even a second.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I've heard it said that the movies were the equivalent of the last two Matrix movies: An adequate-to-mediocre follow up to a great first part. Still, I might check them out. The review paints this one rather positively
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The only real negative I can level at the movie is that when compared to the series it's a lot more dull. Once the series picked up a few episodes in it was almost none stop edge of your seat drama and or action and the movie isn't like that at all until maybe the last 10-15mins. That's not a bad thing at all. It's alot more focused on Saki and how she is handling everything that has happened since the end of the series and that's nice but it's perhaps jarring for some.

Again great movie just a bit bland when compared to the series.(also a bit to short in my opinion)
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
meh... idk, the show never really wow'd me past a couple interesting visuals and a somewhat intriguing premise. Found the humor pretty bland. ooo hahaha they said johnny but they mean penis, hahaha, they said it again ahahahah, that woman hates johnny's(what is this, i don't even), hahahaha, etc...

With that said, I did enjoy the movie a bit more than the series, thanks to Saki.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to pick this up. The show had me gripped enough that I watched the whole series at once. Plus, Saki's character really resonated since I shared so many of her feelings as a recent college grad looking for employment.

I can't complain that the only way to get the show is the combo-pack. Normally, I prefer to save a bit of money and just go with the DVD, but since I have a PS3 there is no reason not to get this anyway.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
The only real negative I can level at the movie is that when compared to the series it's a lot more dull. Once the series picked up a few episodes in it was almost none stop edge of your seat drama and or action and the movie isn't like that at all until maybe the last 10-15mins. That's not a bad thing at all. It's alot more focused on Saki and how she is handling everything that has happened since the end of the series and that's nice but it's perhaps jarring for some.

Again great movie just a bit bland when compared to the series.(also a bit to short in my opinion)

My god. You cannot be serious. Its one thing to say this anime was good, that's an opinion. Your just outright lying.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

My god. You cannot be serious. Its one thing to say this anime was good, that's an opinion. Your just outright lying.

I'm sorry but that's my opinion and you don't need to be so hostile if you don't agree. As I said once the series picked up it was EITHER drama or action pretty much the whole way. I didn't say there was 100% none stop action which seems to be what you are implying here. Sure there are a few scenes that are neither action nor drama but by and large the series is pretty fast paced and intense once it gets underway. If you don't agree with that then ok but don't go calling me a liar for having a opinion.
TheBigDave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else get the Blu/DVD combo pack? Mine came in a DVD-size case. I know some combo packs have a DVD case version and a Blu-Ray case version. Was there only the DVD-size case, or did anyone get a Blu-Ray case?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
After this much time of no one posting, I think it's obvious that everyone is quite speechless of the B+/A- rating.

Still, acknowledging the strengths(and Kenji's near-constant underuse), is something that should be done.

But what's taking so long on that FLCL re-release review?

"B" rating is fair, since this film was blatantly inferior in terms of scenario... of course, since there was no way to fit the actual series' sharpness into just one film....
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
TheBigDave wrote:
Did anyone else get the Blu/DVD combo pack? Mine came in a DVD-size case. I know some combo packs have a DVD case version and a Blu-Ray case version. Was there only the DVD-size case, or did anyone get a Blu-Ray case?
It's only available in a DVD-sized case; some people are just going to replace it with a blu-ray case and a custom cover.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well between this review and the one on Shelf-Life I will definitely be checking this movie out now. All the internet chatter has made this film out to be bad but after this it looks like I was tricked. I loved the TV series for this so if the movie continues on with the same strength I'm definitely interested.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If the Eden of the East television series had a flaw, it was its incomplete ending.

I disagree. You know how people argued The Matrix didn't need sequels, and it was fine as a stand-alone? I didn't feel that way, and I liked the sequels, but now I know where they're coming from with Eden. I haven't seen the second film yet, but this film is a total waste of my f***ing time, as it does not cover any new ground, and in fact is more of a retread than an extension of the show. This sucker could've basically been made into one two-hour movie, as opposed to two 90-minute movies. But instead, I'm forced to pay twice just to see spoiler[the NEET gang lazing about while all the tension gets put on the back-burner in favor of phone convos which go almost nowhere.] If you hated Death and Rebirth, then you will loathe King of Eden, as it's the same type of bait-and-switch garbage, except without the consideration of letting you know it's an 80 minute re-recap episode.

Mr. Sinister: I'm not a huge fan of the show myself, but at least it had a personality, while King of Eden doesn't know what it wants to be.
DrForester

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
TheBigDave wrote:

yes, and I'm very disappointed in this. I have no clue what Funi was thinking doing this.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
After having seen the full series on Hulu in a 5-hour marathon session, I must see this!!! Will I pay for the DVD? Maybe...I do have a $20 gift card to Best Buy (and one of my local stores still carries anime), after all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2