• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taconinja

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. Why you gotz to be hatin? But really, the Japanese have anime!! Why would they want crudely drawn, American moscots when they have kids with green hair, women with big boobs, and talking robots?!?!?! Or something like that. Sure, Mickey is a universal mascot, known by millions, so whateva. I'm just glad this guy wasn't president Bush or else Mickey would have ended up on the "Axis of Evil." Sorry, that last part really has nothing to do with anything. But.. 'that's my Bush!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he's right about Mickey not having the "Japanese sensibility", but perhaps he should look at the history of modern Japanese animation a little closer before he condemns the mouse.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I would've never thought Ishihara would do something like that. I think it's a little too over the edge.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Given his xenophobic and nationalistic views in general, this doesn't come as much of a surprise. And beyond that, consider this story:

Ishihara Shintarou Profile Site wrote:
Ishihara told Nathan a story about the war. When he was in the seventh grade, he was living in Zushi, on the coast in the flight path of enemy aircraft heading out to sea. Ishihara described Nathan: “The Americans could see that we were kids, but they would strafe us anyway, for fun. One day I had to throw myself into a barley field. As I lay there, the Grummans and P-51s came roaring over me, flying low, and I could see that they had pictures of naked women and Mickey Mouse painted on the fuselage. I couldn't believe my eyes! I was scared to death, and angry but I was also thinking what a place America must be, what a culture, and how different from Japan. Then I heard other planes but no machine guns this time; they were Zeros in pursuit, and their insignia was the Japanese flag. I felt like reaching up to embrace that rising sun.”

(Check the link for more info)
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hell, Ishihara is flat out racist and sexist. Sometimes I wonder how he was elected.

As for Mickey Mouse not having "Japanese sensibilities" or whatever... Well, Mickey is NOT Japanese, so what the heck is expected here?
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
What was the context of this, anyway? I can't imagine that he held a press conference just to announce to the world: "Attention! I hate Mickey Mouse! Please resume your work."
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
AceRyonik wrote:
What was the context of this, anyway? I can't imagine that he held a press conference just to announce to the world: "Attention! I hate Mickey Mouse! Please resume your work."

It sounds like it was part of an opening cermonies speech.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, didn't he learn anything from Kingdom Hearts?

Big-eyed, pointy haired anime (style) characters can coexist in peaceful bliss with Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and, now, Captain Jack Sparrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lumicite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
cNot only does he dislike Mickey Mouse but he has no great love for anime either.
In this Sunday's NY Times article, at the end of the Tokyo International Anime Fair, he stated before fans and purveyors alike that although he had been to the trade booths and spoken with the artists and agreed that they should have "our support".... too much animes looks alike .... can't you guys work on story a bit more?"
He then qualified his expert opinion by adding "I don't play games or watch anime. I saw one or two..."
He closed out his remarks with another informed criticism. "...But why do't you really try to raise the level of this art form? Can't you bring in some interesting thoughts? Practice some concision, as in Haiku"
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, if that's an example of his "Japanese sensibility" then good, I'm glad Mickey lacks that as there's no sensibility in that at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
That is just someone expressing their view.It could have been worded slightly different but hey i am not going to knock someones right to freedom of expression.
tidusora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
He discrimates too much, he's racist and sexcist. Just because Mickey Mouse isn't as 'detailed' as he wants him to be, he goes an tell out the whole world.

Next thing you know, he'll claim that Hello Kitty is more detailed than Mickey Mouse....
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't he know that Osamu Tezuka said his inpiration was from Walt Disney?

I remember him one time dissed French because it has too many way to count depends on what the item is.

And Japanese has exact SAME scheme. Counting sheets of paper is different from counting coins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JiJi McPaws

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, Mickey Mouse is a pretty symbolic charachter, and had a huge effect on the Animation industry. especially in the 50's. ""He has nothing like the unique sensibility that Japan has." As he then points to a picture of Pepsi Man.

Last edited by JiJi McPaws on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
hahaha. Well in his defense Mickey Mouse isn't that relevant anymore. How many kids watch Mickey Mouse now? Seriously I doubt any child does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8