• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Technical Issue" with Anime Unleashed?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animedude35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
"Technical issues...."

All I see is that they are making excuses for the fact that they have no clue on what they are doing with AU and that they really don't know where to put AU in a great timeslot.

Half of G4 is reruns, and most of their stuff is synication, and I don't see how some "technical issues" can arise from not aquiring new animes.

They are just a crappy network that took over a great one (tech tv) and now they are ruining what was once a great place for anything electronics and digging a great big hole...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
I couldn't agree with you more. I still remember when G4 was actually a good network. It was the only channed completely devoted to video games and they could have built so much on that, but instead they decided to sell out and try to become the next Sci-Fi, Spike TV, Comedy Central, Speed Network, Adult Swim, Anime Network channel. Oh wait, a network of such never exsited because everyone else knew combining that many genres into one network would never work. Maybe some other channel will devote itself to video games and stay that way. I've pretty much given up on G4.

As far as I know, the only good shows they have with new episodes are X-Play and Attack of the Show.
cche7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"There may have been a technical issue too that I can't go into, but basically it means that AU was planning to air all new episodes starting back in February, but because we didn't acquire new anime then, we weren't prepared to air old anime episodes by the deadline to take care of the technical issue that I can not go into which means that we can't air old episodes.

Technical issues!?! What kind of technical issues?

Quote:
But then again, I could be completely wrong."

Which is it, he either know or doesn't know. Why post something like this unless you're absolutely sure of the answer. Rolling Eyes
lvirden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder...

The description sure does read as this:

G4 is going to start putting more commercials in the 30 minute slot. They don't plan on re-cutting the old episodes to make space for the new commercial(s), so they were stuck when the new stuff, being cut for the new play length, wasn't completed in time.

None of the above is fact - only conjecture...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cel2001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
I really miss Tech TV too. They did a real good job blending shows like the Screen Savers (which not only dealt with a bunch of cool product-related issues and concerns, but also took on larger political/regulatory questions, like when they had the chairman of the FCC on a couple of times to discuss the regulatory landscape surrounding IP and telephony) with shows like Anime Unleashed.

I do watch Attack of the Show on a fairly regular basis; not daily, but I'll watch an episode or so a week, and I'll tune in for a few minutes every other day to see if something cool's on their show. But I've pretty much given up on everything else they're offering.

In terms of the "technical issues": I'd like to know what dictionary they're using to find their definition of that term. It doesn't appear to be related to anything technical from the (admittedly extremely) opaque explanation provided by the G4 rep.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
I miss G4. Yeah, I know it's still here, but they have no shows! This is the second explosion that's happened since they changed the name from Tech TV.

I don't know what they're planning (from the looks of it, they want to put all reruns on so they don't have to pay any on-screen talent) but it's not good.

I could stand the station because they had a few live shows on and the station had a somewhat cohesive thread- gaming and some technology. Now it's just a mess. I'm just waiting to see when they're finally going to stick a knife in X-play's back. It must be the highest rated show on the station, because it's survived a lot of cancelled shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
cche7 wrote:
Which is it, he either know or doesn't know. Why post something like this unless you're absolutely sure of the answer. Rolling Eyes

Teggy only tells us what she knows she can without jeopardizing her job. She's given announcements like this before and she's been absolutely correct all of the time (a couple of these were telling us previously that AU wasn't canceled). Besides, the G$ execs aren't exactly forthcoming with information very often, such as waiting until a week before a new series starts airing to actually inform us that it's airing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
I dunno....this whole things smells fishy to me. I never have liked G4, they're shows suck. The only GOOD show they have is X-Play, I say bring back CfH and TSS, I miss those shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Finally, we know what happened. As mentioned above, they didn't think it worth the time and money to recut the stuff inherited from TTV to fit their current commercial-break format. But the new acquisitions they'd expected to have by now aren't in hand yet. Hence, AU had only one full-length show and 2 short series in its usable inventory, which isn't enough to sustain the block. Still, the remarks indicate AU may make a return. I hope so.

But if G4 has no plans to use the old series anymore, it'd be a courtesy to anime fandom if they surrendered their licenses so other networks can look at the shows. If they're not worth reformatting, then they can't be much competition against brand-new series. I'm thinking of the Crest/Banner series, Boogiepop, Geneshaft, ROD-TV and Last Exile in particular. (^_*)
lvirden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Lain as well - that is one that I know the kids at home really liked.
What else did they run? There were a few interesting series run in that slot.

P.S. note that my post was a conjecture - not fact. Just seems to match the facts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alex K.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
"Technical issues." What BS. These idiots just don't know what the [bleep] they're doing with their [bleep] of a network. Seriously, I'd like to [bleep] their [bleep] with a [bleep]. Adam Sessler won't soon forget that.

But seriously, why do you guys even care? Anime Unleased was never good. I mean, the shows were great, but the way they were shown was plain idiotic. 6 commercial breaks in each show to advertise meaningless crap like the new Street Fighter game and TAG body spray, aspect ratio screw-ups, and numerous other problems completely ruined AU. Now they feeds us this crap about having technical issues. Cartoon Network should buy out the channel and make a 24-hour Adult Swim network or something.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
lvirden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
At one point, I thought that Anime Unleashed was to be technologically oriented anime. But I don't know how much of that really happened.

What about one or more of the Bubblegum series? Something with with lots of mecha, big guns, lots of explosions...
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
lvirden wrote:
At one point, I thought that Anime Unleashed was to be technologically oriented anime. But I don't know how much of that really happened.

What about one or more of the Bubblegum series? Something with with lots of mecha, big guns, lots of explosions...

AU would rock if they showed the Bubblegum Crisis series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
lvirden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I just looked through the G4 Anime Unleashed web site. It looks to me as if they have shown, to date, 19 series:

Armitage III, Dual, Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Betterman, Geneshaft, Silent Mobius, The SoulTaker, Gate Keepers, Last Exile, Magical Arcade Abenobasi, Gad Guard, R.O.D. the tv series, Gungrave, Rahxephon, Colorful!, and Cromartie High School.

Of these, the ones I enjoyed most were Dual!, Lain, which ever of the "of the stars" was first (Banner I think), Last Exile (though I never finished watching all of it), Magical Arcarde, Gad Guard, Rahxephon, what I've seen of Cromartie so far, and, most of all, R.O.D.

That's 9 or so of the 19 series. I don't remember Armitage, found a couple of the series boring or at least hard to follow, and just didn't care for the others, as best I can remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2