• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So, did you get a nice view of Particia Lee and the other girls doing the dance?

No, actually. They must have done the dance either before or after I was inside the store, since I never saw them do it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
]On a serious note, which language track were you using? Also, how did she respond to Mikuru's Adventure? Did you warn her ahead of time that it was a really bad student movie or a did you just let her figure it out for herself? More importantly, did she express any interest in seeing other anime?

I'm very interested in hearing more about a first timer's reactions to an anime like Haruhi.

Dub track, and I did warn her that the first episode was intentionally bad. She laughed on multiple occaisions during the episode, loudest at the bits where Kyon threatened to come on screen and kick Itsuki's ass and the two times Tsuruya started laughing (good gracious sakes alive that's contagious). I also showed her the first ASOS brigade clip from the extras, and she was amused at the psychic/esper descrepency.
She didn't say anything about trying other anime, but I'm pretty sure she'd be willing to watch some of the stuff I have in my collection.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Dub track
Somewhere out there, a hardcore fansubber is weeping. Twisted Evil Wink

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
and I did warn her that the first episode was intentionally bad. She laughed on multiple occaisions during the episode, loudest at the bits where Kyon threatened to come on screen and kick Itsuki's ass and the two times Tsuruya started laughing (good gracious sakes alive that's contagious).
Kyon's threat is a highlight of the series to me. His entire narration for that movie is hysterical. I love how he points out all the flaws in the plot.

Great to hear about a reaction like that. Always good to spread the anime love around. (Or in this case, preach the gospel of Haruhi.)

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
She didn't say anything about trying other anime, but I'm pretty sure she'd be willing to watch some of the stuff I have in my collection.
That's nice to hear. Maybe your friend will end up a fan too. Not only would that benefit the industry, but it would give you one more thing in common, strengthening the bond of friendship. If nothing else, it's an extra category for conversation.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Kyon's narration in Episode 00, that reminds me. It occured to me a while back that wouldn't it be neat if there were a version of Episode 00 without Kyon's commentary in it? In some ways, I think the episode might be funnier. I wish that would have been an option.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Speaking of Kyon's narration in Episode 00, that reminds me. It occured to me a while back that wouldn't it be neat if there were a version of Episode 00 without Kyon's commentary in it? In some ways, I think the episode might be funnier. I wish that would have been an option.

I think episode 00 without Kyon's commentary would only work if you were watching it with friends who would provide their sarcastic own commentary as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This is a little late, but I finally finished watching the show yesterday. I think the most interesting of the episodes was 12 (aired) when spoiler[Haruhi and Yuki had to fill in for the band. It showed another side to Haruhi that I had never seen before. She appeared nervous, yet excited.] I thought that the series really carried out to be something out of the original. It never had the same pace to it, and always had something new to develop. I liked it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I thought that the series really carried out to be something out of the original. It never had the same pace to it, and always had something new to develop. I liked it.

Now watch it again, you'll like it even more. Then watch it again, you'll like it even even more. Then watch it again...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Now watch it again, you'll like it even more. Then watch it again, you'll like it even even more. Then watch it again...

And what about the second season? Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I think episode 00 without Kyon's commentary would only work if you were watching it with friends who would provide their sarcastic own commentary as well.
Or even better, a director's commentary with Haruhi herself! Now that would be funny on a whole new level. Haruhi telling us all how brilliant the movie is! Anime hyper

At some point, they must animate the making of that movie.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I just had a terrible Haruhi moment. While cleaning up my office a bit and stumbling across some NANA postcards, I realized something. I haven't seen my extra goodies from the volume 1 special edition in quite some time. I put them all back in the plain box they came in from the artbox, and... I have a very bad feeling my husband might have 'helped out' a few weeks ago and pitched it thinking it was just a normal empty box from Right Stuf or something (or I might have done it...although I'm pretty sure it was him, he took some boxes out a few weeks ago around that time.). Anime hyper I'm not absolutely certain just yet, but if I'm right, I'm so disappointed. I mean, in reality I know I never would have worn that headband (it doesn't go well with fine, red hair) and that the other stuff (were there pencil boards in it? I can't remember anymore) would have just stayed stored away, but it's the principle of the matter. I like stuff, and now I have less stuff.

I'm not the biggest fan of the series (I think it's in my top 20 anime, but I'm not all that attached to it), but there is just something about it that draws out the dormant fangirl collector within me. I find myself ogling figures of Nagato (particularly ones with her on the bass), preordering all the NA release stuff, etc. And now, I feel like a little chunk of my fandom has been cut out of me. I hope it turns out that I'm wrong, that it just got tucked away somewhere for "safe keeping" and I just can't remember where, but...man, I think it's gone. Sad
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
So I had this idea a few days ago...:
spoiler[In Episode 00, the home movie, I realized something. Haruhi (she "wrote" the script, I assume) wrote Itsuki as an esper, Mikuru as a time traveler, and Yuki as an alien. When you first start the series with this episode, you probably would have just thought that was the weirdness of the movie. But in the end, it turns out it's true! A very interesting way to foreshadow parts of the continuing storyline I thought.
Then I kept thinking about it...
Is there more that they are foreshadowing in "movie" that didn't show up in the series? Are they technically spilling all the secrets right at the beginning when no one would expect it?]

Sorry if this has been brought up already...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
haruhifan1200 wrote:
So I had this idea a few days ago...:
spoiler[In Episode 00, the home movie, I realized something. Haruhi (she "wrote" the script, I assume) wrote Itsuki as an esper, Mikuru as a time traveler, and Yuki as an alien. When you first start the series with this episode, you probably would have just thought that was the weirdness of the movie. But in the end, it turns out it's true! A very interesting way to foreshadow parts of the continuing storyline I thought.
Then I kept thinking about it...
Is there more that they are foreshadowing in "movie" that didn't show up in the series? Are they technically spilling all the secrets right at the beginning when no one would expect it?]

Sorry if this has been brought up already...

Sorry, it has been brought up, and it's explained in the second novel that Haruhi got the ideas from Kyon who told her everything after the first novel but she didn't believe it. I don't think there is any other foreshadowing, although talking cat and the cherry blossoms are interesting evidences of spoiler[Haruhi's power]. The cherry blossoms thing isn't really apparent with episode 00 out of order: (correct me if I'm wrong here) they filmed it in fall, and cherry blossoms bloom only for a week or so in the spring.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, I saw something at work today I thought might interest you. I work at an animation studio here in LA and the director for our current project (my boss) is a woman named Kayoko who worked in the Japanese commercial animation industry for a number of years before moving to the States. She still keeps in contact with many animators/artists in Japan and uses varoius production materials sent to her as reference for the stuff we're doing.

Anyway, I was at her desk this afternoon asking some question or another and noticed these official-looking character model sheets (in pencil!) of Haruhi from HSnY with Japanese writing all over them kind of buried under a pile of other papers and animation references. They were covered with tea and oreo stains and the pencil marks were all smudged and it made me laugh to think of the vast difference between the obsessive anime collector's mentality (a person who would frame those character drawings and display them on a wall) and the nonchalant anime industry person mentality (who thinks of them as work materials that also serve as tea coasters).

That's all I have to say, really, but I hope you guys find it as amusing as I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Manganime00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I was wow-ed when I watched the series through. The first episode threw me straight off track. I was soooo confused that I even tried to find a different version of the download but it was all the same. Anime hyper. I mean I had to read the comments to find out that this show didn't go in chronological order. Anyways, this series is really deep and really funny.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
I found this new ASOS Brigade episode to be rather intriguing.

http://one.revver.com/watch/310444

This episode has more short interviews, but this time it's with Johnny Yong Bosch (which I find it ridiculously amusing if you can figure out why Wink ) and Wendee Lee.

Hmm, there's even more Pizza Hut promotion..... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 121 of 213