• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Uncut Preview for Shonen Jump Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Nice Job SJ!! Dungeon got reamed by the D&D folks for their "subscriber-only" stuff, and Newtype disasterously didn't handle their DVD situation well. Great job on chosing such a horrible idea!!

They always do stuff like this. One Piece game demo, Dragon Quest game demo, Shonen Jump preview DVDs, and all around free incentives for subscribers. There also isn't a guarantee for something "subscriber only" every month, just every once in a while.

The selling point for Shonen Jump isn't a free DVD like NewType is, so I don't see how this is a "horrible idea."

Let's add Playstation Magazine(PSM) to the mix of magazines such as Newtype USA, they recently dropped the ball, subscribers(Like myself) were mailed an issue(Issue 107) that said on the front cover "Free Memory Card Stcikers Inside", me and other susbcribers on their forum looked through our issue MULTIPLE times for them, but they were non-existant, turns out PSM mailed the wrong magazine, the copy we subscribers got were meant for NEWSTANDS ONLY, in other words non-subscribers now get all the goodies that subscribers AND non-subscribers used to get, their respsonse to this? It's basically because subscribers only pay around $12 a year, and they can't afford to give susbcribers anything for "FREE" unless it's an AOL cd or an advertisement of some sort for an upcoming PS game..... Rolling Eyes There were also SEVERAL subscribers threatning to unsibscribe(Myself included) because of the recent mishandling of the magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
The $50 MSRP sounds great to me.

We regularly see $30 MSRP DVDs sell at around $18, so if there is similar 'sale' price, we should be seeing the DVD sets for around $30.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:
where did it say they are 50$ i hope there not i don't want to spend 50 for evrey boxset.

So you'd rather go the traditional route and buy DVD's one a time with 4 episodes each at approx $29.99 MSRP? (or even 24.95)

hmm... so that means you'd rather spend $80-$90 for those same 13 episodes?

Now keep in mind, with shopping online etc. it means you can probably find that boxset of Naruto for around $30.

As for me, I like the idea of only paying $2-3 per episode as opposed to paying $6-$7 per episode, but maybe that's just me.
no but they should at least give maby a season on the box set's or lower the price i pay 15 per anime dvd but i like the boxset idea though.

That's exactly my point though. Do the math again. A box set will likely contain 3 DVD's. Sure, the MSRP will be $50, but with online discounts, that should get it around to $30 - around $10 per DVD - cheaper than what you pay for DVD singles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
No I did not. I don't remember starting the Sub/Dub war... The guy who told me that I don't support the Dubs started it.

People can't read anymore...
Gamelore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
The requirements for buying Naruto on DVD for me are:

< $2 / ep.
< 2 dvd thickness / 13 eps.
Not digipack, but plastic case.
>= 1 GB / ep.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Nice Job SJ!! Dungeon got reamed by the D&D folks for their "subscriber-only" stuff, and Newtype disasterously didn't handle their DVD situation well. Great job on chosing such a horrible idea!!

They always do stuff like this. One Piece game demo, Dragon Quest game demo, Shonen Jump preview DVDs, and all around free incentives for subscribers. There also isn't a guarantee for something "subscriber only" every month, just every once in a while.

The selling point for Shonen Jump isn't a free DVD like NewType is, so I don't see how this is a "horrible idea."

Its a valid point, because your essentially screwing with the folks that buy SJ thru traditional brick-&-mortar outfits. Not all of us have mailboxes that be crammed full of magazine subscriptions (I should know, I live in an apartment complex with Mailboxes that can't even fit certain junk mail envelopes sizes), plus some of us would rather patronize our local bookstores/anime stores by buying our SJ thru them and supporting them.

Dugeon made this mistake and angered a whole lot of D&D fans by doing this. After a few issues, they scrapped it due to the outrage, claiming that "we wanted to reward the subscribers, but seems that we were wrong." They even indirectly blamed the complainers for this failed project.

Newtype actually made the fatal mistake by pulling the DVD first, then after the outrage, jacked both the prices AND putting back the DVD into the newstand editions at the same time. I could understand if it was gradual (i.e. after a few months, then raise the price after putting the DVD back in), but putting the DVD back and jacking the price at the same time was the worst move that Newtype made. I switched to Anime Insider due to this. If it was gradual, then I would still be buying Newtype, but that stunt pretty much made me turn off Newtype (plus Anime Insider has a few neat extras in thier mag that Newtype sorely lacks, like domestic release schedules of Anime and Manga).

SJ needs to rethink this, because if they can put (insert SJ property) cards into their mag, and Shojo Beat can stuff calenders and DVD's into their magazines, then why not a DVD?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:23 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
SJ needs to rethink this, because if they can put (insert SJ property) cards into their mag, and Shojo Beat can stuff calenders and DVD's into their magazines, then why not a DVD?

If they were to insert DVDs into newsstand copies, the magazine may become too reliant on the DVDs. Since DVDs and game demos aren't in every issue, I'm sure some people would wonder why there isn't a DVD in the issue they bought, but the one in the issue their friend bought last month. I'm a non-subscriber buyer of Shonen Jump, and I've never once been offended by these special offers. A little "shucks...I should subscribe," but never to the point where I actually stop supporting the magazine, but I may be taking my individual case too far.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

If they were to insert DVDs into newsstand copies, the magazine may become too reliant on the DVDs. Since DVDs and game demos aren't in every issue, I'm sure some people would wonder why there isn't a DVD in the issue they bought, but the one in the issue their friend bought last month. I'm a non-subscriber buyer of Shonen Jump, and I've never once been offended by these special offers. A little "shucks...I should subscribe," but never to the point where I actually stop supporting the magazine, but I may be taking my individual case too far.

SJ doesn't have to be "reliant" on DVD's. I'm not saying ZOMG, DVD'S MONTHLY IN SJ!! Making it a subscriber-only deal is a bad idea, and there are plenty of magazines out there that have done once-in-a-while DVD/CD offerings and didn't fold. The DVD promo for newstands would be a good idea, and might increase DVD sales for Naruto. It worked for Video Option/JDM Option (sample)(sample) when they included a sampler DVD in Super Street.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
They are uncut, have Japanese audio and the cover looks much better than the R1 DVDs...
This is just something I've been wondering about, but how exactly do you know that the Japanese Naruto DVD covers look better than the uncut R1 DVD covers when the uncut R1 Naruto DVD covers haven't even been revealed to the public yet?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dubs are something that shouldn't even exist. If the Dub didn't exist than the company that licences anime wouldn not have to spend their money on them. Instead they would licence more anime. So what is a Dub good for again?

That just seemed to imply a very elitist view to me anyway. As long as a dub's fairly good I usually like to watch it almost as much as the Japanese. Smile

To each their own.

Yes the cover will impact a bit, but probably few are willing to pay extra, for less content and a pretty cover. Smile
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is just something I've been wondering about, but how exactly do you know that the Japanese Naruto DVD covers look better than the uncut R1 DVD covers when the uncut R1 Naruto DVD covers haven't even been revealed to the public yet?

I was refeering to the old R1 covers.

Quote:
That just seemed to imply a very elitist view to me anyway. As long as a dub's fairly good I usually like to watch it almost as much as the Japanese.

To each their own.

Yes the cover will impact a bit, but probably few are willing to pay extra, for less content and a pretty cover.

Yeah, to each his own...
Dexo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Dexo wrote:

That box set looks sweet! Can't wait til it comes out, then I can get rid of my crappy bootleg DVD that has THE worst subs I've ever seen on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Dexo wrote:

Interesting... even though that retail price seems a bit... off to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cant wait to see the "changes" in teh uncut I hope they did put more effort into the dub,I am picky about dubs not happy with most ,narutos dubbign could have been better,Inu was at least decent...

Have to say 50 for 13 eps is not to bad but still thats 480-500 for a 200 or so ep show,still a bit hard to swallow......

I wonder on 200+ shows if they wind up makeing money off them and if they do do they need to chrage full price...what am I saying its anime they need every cent for the show or to get a new show >< *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4