• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
.hack//Roots (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
spoiler[Weren't the "Signs" only at the Lost Grounds?]

Oh, yeah, which apparently is the only place I ever see the Brigade in the first place, aside from their @Home or whatever. Man, my thoughts are really scattered. Been watching too much Mushishi the past week... Anime dazed.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Oh, duh.. should've realized that earlier Anime smile + sweatdrop. I probably meant to imply spoiler[ brain-dead instead of dead-dead.]

Yea it's just like the game (PS2) spoiler[where when a character was DD he/she went into some sort of coma in real life. I figured it's very to Tsukasa situation, except in this case the player stay logged in but isn't playing.......or maybe they are..... ]

Tony K. wrote:
Hm.. spoiler[ well for the coma thing, I'm guessing it's just some kind of shock to the synapses. Assuming that when you put that headset on that you're able to simulate the five (maybe six) senses within the game, it makes sense (no pun intended) that if you "die" there, it will affect you somehow.]

So the Matrix has you......? Seems a little like that at least, my guest is that when a character spoiler[goes into a Coma the FMD first show a large number of flashing lights, and/or extremely damaging sound to the ear drum. This would trigger a type of Seizures know to cause people to enter comas. Although in Another Birth the new novel when Black Rose picks up her brother head set what she see is;

"The image looked like it was the interior of a chruch. But it seemed to me like an evil place. At the altar stood the statue of a girl bound in chains. This is a game?! I felt scared. Suddenly, the image froze and was replaced by the flashing words: SYSTEM ERROR."]

Tony K. wrote:
spoiler[In the normal case of a PK, you just die and the game automatically resets itself. However, since Shino was killed by Tri-edge, who at this point isn't even a real person, then it might've done something different, depending on what he did to her (Data Drain, perhaps?).]

I am pretty sure that Tri-edge uses spoiler[Data Drain, it one constant in the .hack stories being data drain leads to a coma.

Much like in the GU trailer, Haseo is beaten by Tri-edge and is fine but once Tri-edge DD he dies, wait now that I think about it Haseo doesn't die....Ovan welcomes him back to the world. Maybe DD was able to erase Haseo memories or something like that. Damn I have confused myself I wonder why when he is DD all that happens is that he begins at level 1. ]

BANDAI hurry up with that new game I am very interested now, because I doubt I am going to drop 60 dollars on your new gundam game for 360.

Tony K. wrote:
spoiler[By the way, has anyone speculated on what those "Signs" are yet? From what little I've been able to observe, they appear to just be markings left by Tri-edge, hence the three slashes. And they all apparently seem to be placed at Twilight Brigade hangouts as well. On top of that, there was the one time some of them were teleported too, but only when Haseo was around.]

Interesting indeed, strange that SIGN happen to appear in a world it shouldn't, I don't know what is going on but there is a lot of things from the old world that shouldn't exist in this one. I guess in time we'll get some more information
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
RedComet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the newest episode. spoiler[It's a nice change not having Haseo in an episode and focusing on Tabby instead. Kuhn seems like an interesting character and I think he is in the games. I've always like when many of the characters go to Phyllo for advice.]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or did spoiler[ Kuhn sound like Miki Shinichiro (Crim from //SIGN)? Because if that was him, then it would make sense for him to know so much about playing the game. Then again, the Encyc.'s voice credits haven't been updated for a while, but he does sounds real similar. Or maybe I'm just overthinking...]
KuzuryuuTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah fillers - useful for a quick view, useless for storyline continuations (sp?) Laughing
spoiler[Tabby gets time in the spotlight while Haseo is probably offline thinking about what he should be doing. Also, making his debut in ROOTS - Kuhn! He made this episode a lot more interesting by acting as the mentor to the two newbies and Tabby. I hope he appears more in Roots (although I have a nagging suspicion that he only appears this one time).]

Tony K. wrote:
Is it just me or did spoiler[ Kuhn sound like Miki Shinichiro (Crim from //SIGN)? Because if that was him, then it would make sense for him to know so much about playing the game. Then again, the Encyc.'s voice credits haven't been updated for a while, but he does sounds real similar. Or maybe I'm just overthinking...]

spoiler[He does sound like him - because it is him. Kuhn is voiced by Shinichiro Miki.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ya when I originally listening I picked that up as well. Makes you wonder if it just a strange happening, more then anything I hope it's intentional. Crim would be a great add, but I wonder how much the veteran knows about the new world?

KuzuryuuTakumi wrote:
spoiler[He does sound like him - because it is him. Kuhn is voiced by Shinichiro Miki.]
Oh good to hear, I am glad. Also as for the episode at hand, I am glad that we are getting more information/development of tabby. Still I want to get back to things at hand mainly spoiler[ovan and haseo, and how they will deal with one another. I have a feeling that Haseo is going to be upset with Ovan.]
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
KuzuryuuTakumi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ep 17 - spoiler[The "Painful Forest" event continues.
Haseo now has that insane look when he fights. Obviously he's levelling up a lot and Saburou helped by healing him (would that count as powerlevelling here?).
However the main interest here is Ovans fight against Tri-edge. He survives but rather than Tri-edge backing out (like he did against Phyllo), it looks like he lost to Ovan Shocked After all, to me it looked like he got DDed just like Shino. Ovan used his arm, and it looked like an AIDA was in there, but it can't just be an AIDA if the data is as big as a field Confused .
I'm really confused so I'll leave it there for now]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Interesting episode here for 17 do not read these spoiler unless you have seen the episode! They will completely ruin a really interesting episode, so please don't read!

KuzuryuuTakumi wrote:
spoiler[The "Painful Forest" event continues.
However the main interest here is Ovans fight against Tri-edge. He survives but rather than Tri-edge backing out (like he did against Phyllo), it looks like he lost to Ovan Shocked After all, to me it looked like he got DDed just like Shino. Ovan used his arm, and it looked like an AIDA was in there, but it can't just be an AIDA if the data is as big as a field Confused .
I'm really confused so I'll leave it there for now]

What interesting about this episode as far as I am concern is that not only is there action, but theres lots of development of the characters...It's like a great blend that this series has been searching for.

spoiler[Of course the big issue in the episode is Tri-Edge VS Ovan. First off Ovan seemed like he knew how to deal with tri-edge from the start, it seems like he knows ALOT more then he wishes to share.

Also I thought Haseo (as a character) was really good here, it's like the viewers are finally being treated for being so loyal. Anywho Haseo seems so driven and focus on Shino it's really makes him enjoyable as a character where before he was A$$, but at least now he's A$$ who cares if that makes any sense. Well I guess I have a feeling where Haseo get's his power from, but the interesting is I have this strange feeling Haseo will have to face Ovan for it. I was so mad when this episode ended, normally I am waiting for an episode to end but now I am locked into this series I really want to know what is next.]

At last things are starting to look oh so very interesting, it's making that $150 investment into the GU games look pretty tasty.....augh I don't want wait for October/November.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Just watched 17 last night, myself.

spoiler[ I'm kind of surprised, but at the same time not with Haseo's development. Maybe it's just the trend his seiyuu has with playing a lot of angsty teenage characters (that's the unsurprising part), but I'm a little surprised because it's not something that's common in .hack.

Sure, Tsukasa had her own Shinji-esque angst, but Haseo's is a lot more aggressive. Kind of makes you want to punch him in the face for being so crass about everything.

In fact, I'd say because of his attitude Tabby is becoming more of an eyesore to me. She wants to be able to help Haseo and bring back Shino, but she just keeps sulking every time Haseo tells her to bug out. I'm just not feeling any sympathy for her for some reason.]

And concering Ovan: spoiler[ What the heck was that in his arm? He smirked when Tri-Edge was about to Data Drain him, then opened up that thing and revealed what looked to be a black stream of energy. Perhaps a different form of Data Drain, or maybe even anti-Data Drain?

I still don't know what Naobi (or whatever his new character's name is) found out before Ovan escaped, but he didn't seem too surprised himself when news came of Ovan's victory over Tri-Edge.

I, too, predict Haseo will reach some kind of breaking point in his personality and end up fighting Ovan, probably blaming him for Shino's misfortune or whatever other misguided, mindless dribble his angst can concoct.

We'll also probably find out what kind of relationship Ovan has with Naobi, Shino, and Phyllo, and I'm sure at least two of those scenarios will tie into Haseo's character development.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
After a week off from Roots it's so good to be back. Anywho spoiler through episode 18

spoiler[So it's looks like are PKK version of Haseo has shown faces. But damn how mean that we have to wait till next week to find about what happened. It really makes you think what the hell Harold (or I assume it to be) did Haseo. He bad mouth his daughter and yet he going to make him super strong? How weird is that? ]

Any who just a small clip of my thoughts on this weeks episode, I will try to get more detail when I come home from work.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
KuzuryuuTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 18 - spoiler[The painful forest event becomes much more interesting with an appearance from Harold Hoerwick (the upside-down man in .hack//SIGN, stone tablet in .hack//QUARANTINE). "Tell me, is my daughter well?" Obviously he means Aura and this makes me wonder, what happened to her?
Taihaku shows concern for Aura and Harold allows him to keep his sword. Haseo couldn't care less, and Harold, instead of letting him keep that weapon, turns him into a horrible grotesque figure.
I've heard people say that it's just a form of the multi-weapon class but have we seen any other characters that have armour like that? Are there any other characters with that sort of appearance? Seriously, I don't think it's meant to be like that...]

Episode 19 - spoiler[I'd like to call it filler, but this episode helped make the game seem more alive to me by addressing a problem in real-life MMORPGs - Real Money Trade.
Tawaraya makes a return as a new character, Touta, and is immediately displeased with the state of the in-game economy.
When he runs into Pai, he recognises her as Ender and asks her to pass a message onto Naobi. It makes me wonder if he knows that they're system administrators. Well, he might by the end, since Yata talks to him using private chat.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
KuzuryuuTakumi wrote:
Episode 19 - spoiler[I'd like to call it filler, but this episode helped make the game seem more alive to me by addressing a problem in real-life MMORPGs - Real Money Trade.]

I agree with you spoiler[episode 19 does feel like a filler and yet it's still a really good episode. Even thought this version of the world seems to deal more with the (real) world, this episode help bring things into focus. BUT damn I really want to know what the hell happened to Haseo. What a bummer that we have to wait another week to see him start his PKK attitude.]
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
KuzuryuuTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yeah, this episode reminded me of how SIGN was good even with minimal action.
Well, it looks as though Haseo will fight Saburou in ep 20, but I'm not sure why (and damn, her weapon is huge...).
Ok, so now Haseo has become super strong, where else will the series go? He starts hunting Pks? He gains a reputation within The World as the deadly PKK? All of this is well-known information with fans and we've still got 7 episodes left so I'm hoping they pull something unexpected that makes people look at some scenes in the game in a different light. Since Harold appeared in ep 18, people have been debating about his appearance on different message boards and I'm hoping there's another revelation of the same magnitude.]

Anyway, I'm waiting anxiously for ep 20 Cool
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I can't wait for 20 so that we can get back to Haseo....spoiler[Also did you noticed that in the preview it seemed like Haseo already has his Deathscythe (the grin reaper weapon) I wonder when he got that? Also I want some chainsaw sword action! I know that there are seven episodes left and far as we know 3 could be more action paced, and the other 4 could be deliberated slow speed development style. ]

Also I kinda feel bad for this series it's really handcuff itself. Most of know where it's going to end, we know that it's going to lead into the games directly. Whereas SIGN was able to show the "The World" and then the games brought us this completely different element from that of the anime. Still it will be interesting how far this anime actually goes.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Level 25 necromancy on this bad boy...over two years ago was the last post? I was just too disappointed with the way this thread turned out. I'm curious-why did the discussion die off at episode 20? The story doesn't become fully unraveled until episode 26 spoiler[Ovan was the one carrying out the slayings and Azure Kite (aka Tri-Edge) was following him from scene to scene in order to stop/kill Ovan.]and even then a little research has to be done in order to understand what's going on.

Anyhow, with a COMPLETE understanding of root, I must say that it is a solid series. It leaves me craving for more of mystery that intrigues me about the .hack series. I might pick up the games in the near future just for the sake of discovering what happens in the story.

I understand this thread is old, but like I said-wasn't quite satisfied with the "and then episode 20 left me....can't wait for 21-26.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6