• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Cafe + 34 Days + 16 Yen = Bad Idea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
If that guy wants to do nothing but read manga all day without paying anything, he should just come to Books-a-Million stores in the U.S. where it's perfectly legal. Rolling Eyes

Or he could go to a Borders. But I think they'd eventually find him and kick him out. I find it hilarious that it took them that long to find the guy.

Is it really possible to just live on toast and coffee for that many days? I am asuming he might have some symptoms of malnutrition. But I guess if he's eating toast, he'd be getting his daily fiber (my dad's Gastroenterology talk Laughing ).

Either way, this was a great story to post. My day has been crappy, so this really lightened the mood.
oahT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd say the cafe itself with the careless employees get a lot of the blame. That guy was pretty smart for taking advantage of the cafe. He got his fifteen minutes of fame.

Also; great title for the news article. Laughing
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

If the factoid from Negima #9 about Bottomless No-Panties Cafes is right (¥2700 (around $23.00 right now) for No-Refill Coffees), then I wouldn't put it past these cafes to have overpriced food.

I never thought the day would come when I'd say this, but Starbucks is looking pretty cheap now. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

If the factoid from Negima #9 about Bottomless No-Panties Cafes is right (¥2700 (around $23.00 right now) for No-Refill Coffees), then I wouldn't put it past these cafes to have overpriced food.

I never thought the day would come when I'd say this, but Starbucks is looking pretty cheap now. Laughing

But are the clerks sexy? Laughing
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
I've been trying to figure out how the total came out to 150,000 yen. He was there for 34 days. That's 816 hours. The cafe charge 1,000 yen for every 9 hours. That comes out to around 90,667 yen. He ordered a grilled beef dinner his first day, but spent the other 33 days eating only coffee and toast. Does that much food really come out to nearly 60,000 yen!?!? That must have been one expensive beef dinner!

I got the impression that the added amount was fines due to not paying during his 'stay' and staying past his allotted time. Something like that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
See, if he had been in America and done this at a Wal-Mart instead of a manga café, he would have been famous, like this guy Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
See, if he had been in America and done this at a Wal-Mart instead of a manga café, he would have been famous, like this guy Laughing

but walmart doesn't carry manga, besides Shounen jump.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

But are the clerks sexy? Laughing

If they ever opened a Maid Starbucks, I might be able to look past their corporate hegemony. Razz
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I find this amusing. Manga Cafes are great, but are there any showers? Actually, I don't care to know in this case. Coffee and toast every morning definitely makes for an abstemious diet, and to think it took a month to get some illegal and skinny manga cafe resident out...
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that the reaction is not, "What a weirdo, he spent 34 days immersed in a manga environment," but rather, "How'd he get away with it?" Laughing

If the high bill is derived from some kind of punishment fine applied by the business, it sends a very clear message to other patrons NOT to try such shenanigans...but the staff must be mighty incompetent or uncaring to let this guy hide out that long in the first place. Someone knew he was there - he got his toast and coffee! Is this cafe the size of Wal-Mart?? Maybe they did know and, after awhile, someone decided that if they left him alone for another week or two (or three), then they could really lay into him with the fines.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
I find this amusing. Manga Cafes are great, but are there any showers? Actually, I don't care to know in this case. Coffee and toast every morning definitely makes for an abstemious diet, and to think it took a month to get some illegal and skinny manga cafe resident out...

it aparently had a sink that he used to wash his skivies Shocked
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
This is an amusing tidbit of news from Japan, but it has to be said that it has very little to do with manga or anime. For the life of me, I can't really see what it's doing on ANN's news coverage.

I think it's worth posting. Our news has to be topical (about anime and or manga) and either important, or interesting. In this case the item is unimportant, but as you said, amusing (interesting).

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
I never thought the day would come when I'd say this, but Starbucks is looking pretty cheap now.

Manga Cafe's are actually incredibly cheap to stay at, but the food is over priced.

Its not uncommon for people to stay overnight, some cafe's have "overnight" prices along the lines of 1000 to 2000 yen. You can just sit around reading as much manga as you want, playing video games, reading magazines or browsing the net.

The places are more like Internet Cafes that serve food and drink and have large bookshelves of manga and magazines than typical North American book cafes.

At the nice ones, each patron gets their own, semi private station, with headphones and a comfy leather chair.

As I said, people often stay overnight, if you're in downtown Tokyo and you miss the lst train home (Public transit stops around midnight), its cheaper to stay in a "Manga Kisa" than it is to stay in a capsule hotel.

These are also the only places where you can sample new manga, since pretty much all manga in stores is shrink wrapped.

-t
astra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Its definitley more than 2000 yen for the overnight- at least 3000. (edit, wait, actually I'm not sure. It depends. The one I stayed at had free coffee so yeah) But yeah, if you find a nice one, it can be really comfy. The leather chairs lean back so you can sleep in them. And most of them have showers. I guess the only problem I had was how dead it was in there.

Also, this beats the Walmart guy. He only lasted 3 days. Pathetic!
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The places are more like Internet Cafes that serve food and drink and have large bookshelves of manga and magazines than typical North American book cafes.

At the nice ones, each patron gets their own, semi private station, with headphones and a comfy leather chair.

-t

They have several cafes like this in other countries. I went to one in India while visiting family. However, they didn't have large bookshelves of manga or magazines. They had reference books and big text books written in Hindi that were there for no reason. However, it did have comfy chairs with private stations. They even had pretty good food for a hole-in-the-wall internet cafe. Ironically, I accessed ANN from there on its slow internet connection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3