• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
had a 6 hour stint babysitting today so I had some time to read and got round to

Genshiken season 2 vol 4: Club activities, discussions on artistic styles and some conversations about the gangs feelings and circumstances, was a good volume and is leading up to an important part to start off the next.

Drifters vol.1: Well now this is just hectic, it was very much throwing all the characters into a pot and giving them a quick reason to scrap. I like the idea and i like hiranos style so i'll keep on with it but its not something id recommend for people wanting depth. The main character is very keen to just start fighting whoever

Thermae Romae vol.1: The latest addition to my growing collection of hardback monsters, found for a few quid because the slipcover is missing. The artwork is pretty nice and stands out a bit from the usual style as does the story, which sounds very odd when you read a quick take but as with a lot of manga/anime it winds up being a compelling read anyway. Its kinda funny how there's always some situation where Lucius can basically turn up out of the blue and not cause a huge scene, even when turning up naked in an old mans home. The little story in the middle about foreigners not being able to grasp japanese bath etiquette is kinda funny too, i mean is it really so hard to understand that you wash and rinse off before having a soak? seems reasonable enough to me. I really enjoyed the book and as a result i jumped on amazon and parted with another tenner i most likely dont have to spare to get the next volume. Yen press did a real nice job on these editions.
Virtue330

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Just caught up with To Love Ru DARKNESS, Been reading a little bit of GFT: Wonderland, Both of which I was pretty much reading for the cute girls.
Thinking about reading some Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji since the anime seemed really interesting. I loved that dark, gothic feel, I've never really liked the idea of the story's protagonists being overpowered to the point where the bad guys are the underdog but I found the overall story of why they are "bad" and the investigation into their story to be the most interesting aspect of the story.
Apart from that I'm also thinking about looking into Batman The Court of Owls and some older Ghost comics.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
@Virtue330
Kuroshitsuji is great! Definitely pick it up if you have the chance.

Read Barakamon vol.10 which just came out yesterday. Soooooooooo goooooooooood!! Handa sensei spoiler[brought to tears] at being spoiler[acknowledged by his father] at the end had me wibbling too. His mother continues to be an absolute riot. She really dropped a bomb at the end though. We also got to meet Kawafuji's spoiler[cross-dressing] father which was funny. And poor Hiroshi. ^^;;; Love all the characters in this story!

Will start reading vol.2 of Handa-kun tomorrow.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
@Virtue330
Kuroshitsuji is great! Definitely pick it up if you have the chance.

Read Barakamon vol.10 which just came out yesterday. Soooooooooo goooooooooood!! Handa sensei spoiler[brought to tears] at being spoiler[acknowledged by his father] at the end had me wibbling too. His mother continues to be an absolute riot. She really dropped a bomb at the end though. We also got to meet Kawafuji's spoiler[cross-dressing] father which was funny. And poor Hiroshi. ^^;;; Love all the characters in this story!

Will start reading vol.2 of Handa-kun tomorrow.

cant wait for this to release in english, really enjoyed the anime.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
can't wait for this to release in english, really enjoyed the anime.

Yeah! I was surprised to learn the other day that it had been licensed. I think anyone who enjoyed the anime will really like the manga too. Great stuff!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Id seen the announcement on here as the function to separate the manga articles has been really handy and from the description it sounded like something id enjoy so when they said the anime was due out i decided to catch it. The first volume hits next month.

Truth be told a lot of folk seem to be unaware of upcoming releases as I've seen people asking for Lucifer and the biscuit hammer to be released when seven seas announced it ages ago. Twitter, facebook and ANN have made it so I can keep up to speed with all the new manga I cant afford to buy lol.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Read Handa-kun vol.2. Wasn't as funny as the first volume, imo, but there were still plenty of laughs. As usual, Handa is a very, very misunderstood individual. XDDD

Was hoping to buy the latest volume of Shinrei Tantei Yakumo today but rain foiled my plans. =(
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
Read 2 volumes of Kimi ni todoke after finally getting around to buying volume 3. its been a little while since i read volume 2 but I still really enjoy the characters in this story, especially yano. 3-4 are dealing with kurumi taking a more direct approach to trying to drive a wedge in and having it blow up in her face, fun stuff. I was trying to talk to a friend about the series as he used to be big into anime but he hasn't seen it and i dont think its his kind of story anyway while i was basically saying im not restricted by demographic and will add anything to my collection if i think its good. I may love swords and gore but i have no fear of the sparkles and bubbles.
Robotrode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure now, since I heard that it's a real trendsetting story, and now I know why.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Thermae Romae vol.2: After being quite taken with the fist volume I decided to get the second right away and am delighted that the stories are rolling on in this volume. the author is quite clever in finding ways to have problems solved in a bath-centric way without forcing it too hard and im enjoying how the second half of the book is focusing on a longer story arc in future japan. I understand that the next volume is the last so i'll be keen to get hold of that.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
Read vol.4 of Sinbad no Bouken, the Magi spin-off. I have to admit that this spin-off may be even more entertaining than the main story! It helps that Sinbad is such a likeable and charismatic character. I'm glad that the OAD is getting a continuation. I can't wait to see young Ja'far animated!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Got a nice pile of manga at the comic shop! Mostly ongoing things, but some new things too.

My Love Story 2 continues to give me diabetes with its extreme sweet and sugary goodness. I can't think of another shojo right now so into being made entirely of sugar (Baby & Me might be the closest? Though Baby & Me isn't quite diabetes inducing). It's almost refreshing to read a shojo where no one seems to be "the jerk". Takeo continues to look, and often act, like he belongs nowhere near a shojo manga, but he's so adorably and genuinely in love with Yamato that diabetes ensues. Yamato also genuinely loves him, there's just no ulterior motive and I really like that, not everything has to have potential back stabbing all over it.

World Trigger is one of the new ones, which was nice enough to release 2 volumes at once. I really can't wait for more though, the premise interests me and I really want to know more about the world of the Neighbors. I enjoy the world building it's setting up.

Seraph of the End 2 was more shonen (I mostly read a lot of shonen last night). It's been a while since I'd read v1, so in addition to forgetting things, I was a bit underwhelmed by this volume. We only see a tiny bit of the possibly more interesting "well duh he's going to turn into a vampire" guy and the main guy is a bit too head butting for the sake of annoying me at times. But some of the supporting cast still interests me and these new demon weapon things, I can go for them.

Heroic Legend of Arslan was the other new one. I'm going to admit something here, something bad. I do not like Hiromu Arakawa's character designs. The old dudes are fine and masculine looking, but younger characters, I don't like them. And most of them look copy pasted from FMA. But despite this, epic horse battle on the field scenes are quite impressive. I am definitely interested in another volume, though on this one I was saying "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Tegami Bachi 17, also been a while since the last one of this. I've noticed it go from 4 to 6 chapters per volume, not sure if it's coming out more often in Japan or if that still took 6 months. I'm starting to get eager for the damn thing to get on with the plot of finding the children born on the day of the flicker, I feel like it's been two volumes with no real leads on anyone, I rather want to get the ball rolling. But this volume still did its other thing well, the "heart in the letters" thing and it introduced Chico, a new Bee who seems rather interesting because some of her secrets have already been revealed.

Time Killers should hold me over until more Blue Exorcist comes out (which reminds me, the last volume of that was meandering about too). Being a short story collection, some will always be stronger than others. There's something about short story collections I do like buying a lot, and there's not enough in English so, yeah. I did enjoy the Blue Exorcist prototype, very different so it didn't feel like reading half the first chapter of BE again, but you can see how it could've been born from it. The one where Yukio came from was less good, but still ok. The prototype was probably the highlight, but except for the random 1-5 page stories, a lot of the other ones were solid 30-35 pages of manga goodness, many of which I wouldn't mind seeing as a longer series.

Magi 8 was the last one (though the first one I read I think). Me again forgetting what I'd read since I read so much and it's been a while,but it ended one arc, hooray! And it's started another. I was about ready to see this arc end, it was good and all, but I was still ready to move on.

Blood Lad 1-2 was something I traded a friend for, with no real clue what I was getting, but I've really enjoyed what I've read so far and simply must buy more! So good job, Yen, another one of the few series I collect from you (if only my comic shop got in Yen reliably...) I've noticed that shonen today seem to have more supernatural stuff going on. Heroes are now demons and vampires and stuff, I quite enjoy where it's going, I seem to like more new shonen than shojo (but damn give me 80s shojo any day). But yeah, I need more.

Goong 16, hooray, more Goong! The political atmosphere changed quite a bit in this volume with no resolution, so I'll have to wait until January to find out. There's only two more volumes after this, but with how much story this thing has, I am getting concerned how it'll wrap up, but I'll have to wait until May to find out. The romance continues as well and they didn't wait until the final volume spoiler[to have sex]! May can't come fast enough!

More Itazura na Kiss! I'm finding that although I enjoy it a lot, I can't read more than half a volume at a time, I just seem to need a mental break after that. I still don't get why she's into such an obvious jerk wad, but alas, that's shojo tropes for you. But everyone is still entertaining so we're good there. I'll end up buying the anime, I know it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
I just started Girl Friends, actually my first time reading a yuri. There's been a bit of wink-wink-nudge-nudge so far but I like the fluffiness of the story, though I think there will be more plot/relationship drama later on. Think I'm gonna try and buy Gakuen Polizi if this is any good. Hope Books-a-Million sells it...

Also I've got MAR and Case Closed both sitting on my desk from the library. Ugh, I need to focus on one manga at a time!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Can you tell me which Manga this is?Hi I have forgotten a manga that I have read years ago it was one of my first mangas I have ever read. What I can remember is its about a high school student who is really strong. the manga starts off with him getting on a train and it being packed and he is trying not to get into contact with a girl that's next to him so he is holding everyone back. he then finds a inn where that girl at the train lives and works with is grand father. at his first day of school he runs into a bully who he beats and that guy starts calling him boss
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I just started Girl Friends, actually my first time reading a yuri. There's been a bit of wink-wink-nudge-nudge so far but I like the fluffiness of the story, though I think there will be more plot/relationship drama later on.

The drama does ramp up near the middle of the third volume, which is at the end of the first omnibus volume from Seven Seas. There is actually a serious cliff-hanger in the Seven Seas release because of the way that they split it.

Right now I am reading a few series that I am borrowing from the library:
I just finished volume 12 of Library Wars: Love & War. Unfortunately that is the last volume for now, and it is going to be a long wait for volume 13.
I cannot really buy into the main premise of the series, which is an armed conflict between the libraries and the Media Betterment Committee, which advocates censorship. But I enjoy the stories and I like the characters a lot, which is always the most important thing for me. So it does not really bother me that I cannot accept the premise.

I am currently reading volume 5 of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series.
It seems rather simplistic. I suspect that the intended audience was even younger that the "Teen" that Viz has on it. But I am enjoying it because the stories are interesting enough and, again, I like the characters.

I am holding off on starting volume 12 of Kamisama Kiss until volumes 13 and 14 arrive.
I love this series and I cannot think of anything negative to say about it. I started this because I really liked Karakuri Odette by the same mangaka. So far I like this even better.

I recently started Skip Beat, which I am also enjoying a whole lot. I am trying to put off finishing volume 4 until I get the next three. Unfortunately they are all two weeks overdue right now.
This is the main problem with borrowing from the library.

Just last night I started reading Uzumaki.
I have read the first four chapters and so far I am not too impressed. I like the stories and the characters well enough, but it is just not scary. Not at all.
But horror is just as subjective as humor, and it is still very early in the series. I am going to continue.

Last edited by Touma on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:04 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 122 of 154