• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
^I just buy the 3-in-1s for Skip Beat, I get them half off for the most part, so I think it's pretty affordable. But yeah, that is the problem with libraries.

As for Uzumaki, I don't ever recall it being scary, but it sure was creepy as all hell. It's the idea that spirals are common and easy to find, but in this town, they infect people's minds and make Junji Ito draw outrageously detailed images of spirals. I'll admit, it does tend to be really really ridiculous in a way that's near impossible to find scary spoiler[fetuses for example]. But creepy, yes, and somewhat fun in how ridiculous some of the spiral things can be. And his art really is worth it, so I'd try sticking with it, keeping in mind creepiness over scariness.

I just think Japan plain has a different definition of "scary" anyway. Look at their horror video games vs ours. They make stuff like Fatal Frame and they like to have things just out of sight instead of showing something grotesque. Though Uzumaki does show more than their video games might. On the other hand, I found his GYO series too ridiculous to be scary at any time, but it was still creepy.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
^
Skip Beat is good enough that I would like to have it in my collection so that I can read it again, so I will consider buying the omnibus volumes. But even with a reasonable price for each book it is still going to get expensive.

I am going to try more of Uzumaki, just to see how it goes.
One really good thing about borrowing from the library is that it does not cost me anything. Since I have much more time than money right now that is rather important.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I recently started Skip Beat, which I am also enjoying a whole lot. I am trying to put off finishing volume 4 until I get the next three. Unfortunately they are all two weeks overdue right now.
This is the main problem with borrowing from the library.

Take this as a warning, maybe, but Skip Beat! is incredibly addictive :D I started reading the series through the library a few years ago (back when the volume count was "only" in the teens), and eventually I just could not wait on trips to the library, for books to be returned by other patrons, etc—I had to have more. So I started buying the ones not immediately available at the library and waited till later occasions (RightStuf sales, birthday giftcards, etc) to fill in the gaps. I have no regrets :) Now I can binge-marathon all 33 volumes! (I recently broke down and got 34 in Japanese. we'll see how long I last till I get 35 too...)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
I grabbed volumes 1-8 of knights of sidonia off the shelf and had a big read, id already went through volume 1 and decided it was a series id love so i started buying up more volumes while i was busy reading other stuff and i have a habit of trying to limit what im reading as I get to the end of a volume and immediately hit the net wanting to buy the next which really stresses my funds.

Anyway the manga is way different to the anime in terms of how events play out and the amount of battles and true to my habits when i got to the end of volume 8 i immediately went online and ordered volumes 9&10. I really do love the way they do the sci-fi in it though stuff like the clasps really does seem novel. I wasn't sure id like it initially as id tried some Nihei manga in the past and although i loved his style is story telling didn't resonate with me but this series seems far more alive and accessible.

I also finished off Spice and wolf volume 9, I will admit to getting a little lost here until near the end as I wasn't quite sure what the angle certain characters were coming from but i think i got the gist of it by the end. I think it'll be better for me next time i read through as I'll have earlier volumes fresh in my mind, the gap between 8&9 seemed bit but the next volume is due out soonish.

Then I cracked open volume 1 of Jojo's bizarre adventure after being recommended it on here and seeing a smidgen of the anime. It had been restrictively out of print until recently so id decided against it until i had a realistic chance of getting the volumes and viz also are printing the earlier parts of the story which was another thing holding back the completionist in me. The manga itself was pretty good, the art style is a bit unusual but i kinda dig it and the story feels very classic shonen stuff, id say people who enjoy dragonball/z would be right at home with it.

oh and i found this vid that is cool http://youtu.be/bYCk2udVFvo and kinda helped spur me into pulling the trigger on buying book 1 (book 2 is ordered and on the way)
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I got in my Jojo today and read the first two volumes as well, but I don't think it's for me. I like shonen, I enjoy Dragon Ball too, but my main problem with Jojo is that I don't feel like I know any of the characters. It's basically been going from one fight to the next without stopping to give me some character development so I'm finding it rather underwhelming. Sure, Dragon Ball Z is pretty much all fights too, but you get scenes where Chichi beats the crap out of her son and husband for not studying while we see poor little Gohan cower in fear of his mother. OR Goku refusing to take medicine and acting like an innocent child. I haven't really gotten any of that so far from anyone in Jojo, so it's not really all that enjoyable for me. I'm glad I only got a few volumes, not even naming all the Stands after major tarot arcana is helping. It might also not be helping that it starts in part 3, I have no clue if Stands existed before this series or what.
Art wise, it reminds me of Fist of the North Star. The little bit of the Fist of the North Star manga that I have read at least (and not the anime, which frankly usually isn't all that pretty no matter how fun its being), so yeah, it's nice to look at.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I finally resumed where I left off in Bleach, which was the Lost Agent Arc. I heard the rumors, but I didn't think it would be that sloppy. It was pretty much filler. The villain wasn't really fleshed out in any detail. It's a shame really, the arc had some potential, but it was too rushed.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Read the latest Haikyuu!! and [b]KuroBas[/b] volumes. Working on the latest Magi.

Haikyuu!! is just so good. Daichiiiiiiiiiiii~~~!!!! Love how he knows Hinata and Kageyama so well. Anime hyper

Already read the chapters of KuroBas in Jump but still exciting. Only one more volume to go!

Still in the middle of Magi but Solomon's an interesting character. And what a hunk! Anime hyper The more I read about Solomon and also Sinbad in the spin-off, the more I start to feel that Aladdin and Alibaba are weak protagonists. ^^; Sinbad and Solomon are so much more interesting.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Managed to catch up with some manga this week.

Noragami 1 really enjoyed the first volume. Yato is a lot of fun and had me laughing in the office during my break - very much looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

Soul Eater 22 Getting ever closer to the finale and the tension keeps rising as more appearances emerge spoiler[on the moon and it looks like Crona is on his way.] As always it was another cracking instalment in the series.

The Sacred Blacksmith 5 I feel I should hate this series due to the predictability of the previous volumes and the unnecessary fan services it has thrown around of no reason. But this volume proved why I should stick in. Again it was predictable at times and fan service was present but the insinuated spoiler[rape scene] was powerful and disturbing. The effect it had on Cecily was believable and I like the fact that spoiler[Aria said something to Luke] like any concerned friend would do, rather than to leave her to suffer by herself.

Battle Royale Angle's Boarder This was a fantastic add on to one of my favorite series. Angle's Boarder contains two stories which adds a deeper background to some of the relationships with the girls from the lighthouse. If you haven't read the series in a while it takes some time establishing who is who as the art work and character designs are different to those used in the original.

Food Wars 1 Wow this was an incredible opening to a series which had me captivated through each flick of a page. Now I'm not a foodie but reading this made me want to dive into some delicate cuisine or at least to cook up something myself. I've heard the fan service calms down from here which, if true, I am glad to hear. I can see this series quickly climbing it's way in amongst my favorites!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
@TsunaReborn!
For real Sacred Blacksmith fan service you need to see Haganai I don't have many friends volume 2 of the manga or see the Haganai anime.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
i wanna get food wars, it looks to me like another yakitate japan but i should finish buying that before starting food wars.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Been reading Pokémon Adventures. I'm not very big on the censoring, but I still find it enjoyable.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@TsunaReborn!
For real Sacred Blacksmith fan service you need to see Haganai I don't have many friends volume 2 of the manga or see the Haganai anime.

Haha I do own and have read the first volume - I think because the series wasn't trying to be too serious it was slightly easier to glaze over but there is a reason that the second volume hasn't been purchased yet; for me the comedy fell flat. By the sounds of things I have a second reason not to bother picking it up Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
@TsunaReborn!
You should definitely check it out. Second volume, second chapter. It reimagines The Sacred Blacksmith as a hentai game. Cecily tells Luke just where to put his "holy sword". In the anime version it comes with sound effects.

Either the mangaka from The Sacred Blacksmith contributed to the art work or someone is really good at copying his style. Given the attitude in Japan concerning copyright, I would assume they had permission from the rights holder.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I thought you were joking but I guess you're not. Maybe I now have a reason to check the next volume out.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Noragami 1 really enjoyed the first volume. Yato is a lot of fun and had me laughing in the office during my break - very much looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

Noragami is great and only gets better. I hope they animate some of the later arcs.

Finally found vol.13 of Kuragehime (Princess Jellyfish) in the break room so I was able to read that. Shuu is so adorable with his denseness. Anime hyper Hanamori cracks me up too with how much he only cares about himself and his car, LoL. If you want anything from him, just threaten to damage his car. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 123 of 154