• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I just finished reading One Peace’s first Whispered Words (Japanese Sasameki Koto) omnibus volume. I quite liked it, but I expected that as I enjoyed the anime and when I read slightly more than half of these chapters illicitly. (To date I have read only four manga illicitly at any length: This, Claymore, Birdy the Mighty and Medaka Box; I have since begun properly collecting the first two, the third will almost surely never be released here and the fourth… well, I wouldn’t call what I did ‘reading’ strictly speaking and even so, I acted out of hate… it was weird)

The omnibus is quite filling. It’s plenty long at eighteen chapters and I found myself invested enough to read at a more deliberate pace than some manga earn. I didn’t notice the typographical errors that Rebecca Silverman mentioned, but the book is cropped badly in some places, with the edges of letters or images cut off at the edges of pages. Not enough of any text is lost to make it illegible, but it’s a shame that it has such a fault given that it’s a well-produced volume otherwise, with respectable paper and good binding that didn’t crease or tear.

I think that this book is the first yuri manga that I’ve read to use the word lesbian at all. Some seem to skirt the idea that anybody outside of the central cast even know what one is. I don’t know what the Japanese word, or its significance, was, but at least the translation offered that small refreshment.

This is a sweet, often silly story and not too heavy, but I found a lot of pretty genuine emotional effect rising in me as I read along. It seems to pass my sincerity test, at least. It is drug out and stretched sometimes, like romances tend to be, but doesn’t lean relentlessly on stupid mishaps, arbitrary stupidity or other contrivances to make that happen, although it does sometimes. Nevertheless, real emotional uncertainty seems to be the cause of the anguish and even in the gaudy excesses of adolescent feelings, I can respect that.

The cast is quite likeable, which is probably the root of my enjoyment. They are not at all groundbreaking characters, but good renders of the old favorites. The tall, badass Sumika is something that I’ve seen before in some variant or another elsewhere, but I can’t complain as I find that type and her in particular especially appealing. Oh, why did I have to be born a chubby, hairy white American weirdo instead of a cute lesbian cartoon character? (Errr… forget I asked that… I beg you) It did go off the rails sometimes. The most conspicuous incident was when the sister of the cross-dressing cute ‘trap’ Masaki essentially manipulated and tormented her brother by vigorously exploiting his excessive cuteness when dressed as a girl, although at least she got some upbraiding for it. Come to think of it, he seemed to fade out of the story toward the second half. Some of Kazama, the short and buxom object of Sumki’s unrequited affection, fixating fetishistically over Lotte, a short German transfer student obsessed herself with karate and Sumika, was frustrating and tedious, wearing thin quickly for me. That too did get pushed down.

I look forward to reading the second omnibus, which I hope will be released and not take the nine months to come that the first did. (I am a little concerned, however; One Peace is a small publisher with doubtless thin margins and yuri is a very niche genre within a very niche interest)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nijigahara holograph

Just got it today and when i cracked it open to inspect the pages an stuff i started reading......about an hour later i find myself closing the book muttering "f****ng headf**k". That's not to say i didn't enjoy it to the contrary it was very very good. Anyone who has read an Asano manga before will be right at home with the art style and debbie downer characters but this was a manga from the deep end.

I really dug the way the story loops as well, the concept of the same history repeating over and over is touched upon in the story so it was kind of cool that it was implemented at the end.

oof, £18 worth of brain molestation right there...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I finished the third omnibus of Vinland Saga tonight and had read the second yesterday night. I like it better than I had expected. Its reputation and subject made it always likely to interest me, but I was a little worried that it would just be hundreds of pages of revenge and HOO-RAH BATTLEVIOLENCEWARRIORKILLKILLKILLGORE! I'm not really keen on that, but contrary to those worries, it seems to have more interesting, less GRRRRR themes and takes them seriously. It could, of course, end up taking them too seriously. I don't want it to become jokey and ironic by any means, but excess, overzealous conviction or fixation on them could deprive the author of perspective on what he is trying to achieve thematically and narratively, thus the themes could degrade into tedium and nonsense.

I saw hints of this before it became really clear in the third omnibus. For all the Vikings extol their fearsomeness and belittle the weakness of the English, in the long run, England became a powerful, wealthy state that strode the world economically and militarily. Viking violence itself had limits; as Sparta showed, a warrior culture doesn't build much that lasts in and of itself. The Scandinavian countries have done excellently for themselves, but as happy, prosperous and liberal states, not as bloodthirsty maniacs. Even the Vikings weren't all lazy popular conception would make them out to be. They, as the author notes in one of his afterwords, they had rules and even a sort of compassion to their own culture.

I enjoyed the invocation of Celtic history and myth, especially the surprise revelation that Askeladd spoiler[is half-Celt and loathes the Danes.] The Viking bands are full of violent thugs and ultimately a lot of not-so-nice-people, which the story recognizes. The story isn't unconventional, but it isn't interested in being the most usual, which I also mark the worst, of its kind.

Without regard to its themes, the narrative is interesting and exciting n its own. Even if I had to stomach a lot of RAH RAH LET'S BE VIOLENT, REPELLENT BRUTES, 'CAUSE THAT'S BEST, I would want to follow it. In this, the themes have been used to make it more interesting. I expected the changes in Prince Canute's character, although I found they way there were portrayed as a little too abrupt, although I hope that not all of his former nature is discarded.

Also: I really like, and people who know me probably knew that I would, the Viking Girl Ylva shorts that are included sometimes. I hope that there are more of those.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Nijigahara holograph

I remember the House of 1,000 Manga column about that one. I almost think it's what might happen if David Lynch were to make a manga. I think that I will end up reading that one, but I fear that my mental state is not yet quite properly calibrated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
^I have the first three Vinland Saga omnis and still have yet to read any of them, damn I'm bad.

I got a couple of things early at my comic shop. Coming out sooner is My Love Story v1, which is damn good shojo fun. The main dude doesn't look like he belongs anywhere near a shojo manga, let alone be the main, but it rather helps to immediately set the manga apart from other shojo. I also really like the main three and their chemistry that makes it all work. If you like the fluffier romance shojo, you will probably love this story and damn does it have some laugh out loud moments!

Super duper early, I also got Black Rose Alice v1, more than a month early at that! This was an anticipated release for me because this is the same mangaka who did the most excellent Afterschool Nightmare (hopefully Viz will see fit to rescue it if Black Rose Alice does well?) So my friend was annoyed at the vampire lore changes, but I also pointed out that she enjoyed the Twilight novels and putting that aside because everyone's vampires have to be different, I really liked this first volume a lot. It starts in Victorian era for three chapters then cuts to present and it really makes me curious about the main's clear personality changes and what is going to happen next. I suppose the only thing it really has in common so far with Afterschool Nightmare is that it's not something that screams "this is shojo" to you at all (although the presence of vampires makes it scream a little more), but yes, can't wait for more, and it will be a long and painful wait.

Also read the first two My Little Monster, and I quite enjoyed that too. The main boy reminds me a bit of Masaru from Sexy Commando with his level and type of socially awkwardness. But while wild child manga have been made before, I enjoyed this one more for a few reasons. First is that this guy seems to know about the real world, he's not completely in a bubble. He was raised in normal society and not in some random bishie jungle. And two, the girl is also quite weird, with an obsession with studying and getting good grades. Between those two, I enjoyed the first two manga volumes.

That leaves Sweet Rein for my final shojo that I've read recently. I got this because the same mangaka did Land of the Blindfolded and Penguin Revolution. Volume 3 of Sweet Rein had a one shot side story for Penguin Revolution, and that quite pleased me. Yeah, I know who Sweet Rein is for, people who want cute fluffy stuff with no real substance. I enjoyed Sweet Rein, but it's by no means something I would dwell upon later. But it is cute and fluffy and I liked the mangaka, and that's honestly enough for me. And it's only three volumes long.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Just finished reading Ao no Exorcist vol.13. Man, so good! Kuro is so cute. X3 And once again, spoiler[SHIMAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I read My Love Story volume 1 on the way to work, and I think I have a new favourite series! I have not laughed so much at a series in a long time. Goda is so sweet but absolutely hysterical at the same time, and my god spoiler[when he asks Sunakawa to help him practise kissing] I nearly died laughing. It kinds reminds me of Otomen, which is no bad thing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
I read all of Shigeru Mizuki’s Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths on Thursday night and I regarded it as a fine work, but perhaps one I more respect that strictly enjoyed. I’m a little unsure of what to say, but I want to try to honor a request. My tarrying in writing this ‘review’ has probably meant the loss of some things that I had wished to write.

I didn’t have the visceral reaction of investment and interest to Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths that I do to most things that I think well of. I wasn’t fighting to read it like I might a real tedious bore, but I wasn’t pulled along. I think perhaps I was almost disinterested. (Not uninterested) There was also some uncertainty about how I should react. The backgrounds are detailed and sumptuous, but the characters are drawn in a much distorted, ‘cartoonish’ manner and it is about the losing side in a long war in a state of desperation, but it’s not especially reverent about them, especially in the beginning. For the first few chapters, I was a little distracted by trying to detect hints of satire or farce. It took me a while to settle into the tone to expect, which is ultimately that of a straightforward, melancholy war story. There are silly and absurd things here and there, but their presence is probably a faithful portrayal of what will happen among a group of people who have been together for a long time in awkward circumstances. It is perhaps drug down because we’ve all been hearing that war is Hell for a long time now, even if it helps a little to see it. The problem isn’t really repetition or cliché; it’s that the right people never seem to listen.

The artwork is a challenge to adjust to, but I felt comfortable with after a while. The backgrounds are very realistically drawn and rich with detail, as are a few other scenes of soldiers moving, but faces never are. The faces are distorted and crude, looking like a more dour Beetle Bailey, but it’s not incompetent art, because for all their apparent crudity, the characters have human proportions and no matter how distorted, the faces hold consistent from different angles and perspectives. They are the deliberate choice of a competent draughtsman. He hews close to that style even when portraying the disgusting violence of war, which is so dissonant as to perhaps be more unsettling than it might in a realistic style. I can’t say why Mr. Mizuki chose to draw things as he did. Perhaps because it’s autobiographical, he wanted to reflect the casual, informal memories of personal recollection. Perhaps he didn’t want to dignify the wretched absurdity of the events with a more realistic style. It feels strange sometimes, but I believe that it succeeds.

The reason I consider Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths meritorious despite my muted reaction and the familiarity of war memoirs is, stereotypically of me, its innate sincerity. It is entirely a product of the author’s experiences, which the story helps me to imagine as horrible. In fact, they were probably worse than those portrayed because of the cruel mercy that he ultimately allows the characters. My impassivity was broken toward the end, when an indescribable melancholy began to worm its way up through me as everything met its end. It came to a real head, however, reading the interview with Shigeru Mizuki that follows the story. The deep frustration, anger and, though it is left unsaid, emptiness that is lodged forever within him by the memory of those events that inspired Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths is a powerful idea. It is one that I feel ashamed, but believe I should be grateful not to be able to truly share.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
I've managed to play a bit of catch up over the past few days after being bogged down at work and I have busy over the past few weekends- anyways here is what I've managed to get through.

15 Meisetsu Kougyou Koukou Rugby Bu I finished this series possibly at the end of last week but forgot to post about it. This 2 and a bit volume series is about a boy named Akira who is incredibly talented at rugby. The explanation of the game is great (Naruse Yoshiki does a fantastic job), the action is superb and the characters are relatable and loveable. My only issue with the series is that it was way too short, just as it started to get good it ended; I believe they played two games and they were about to start their first tournament with the new members. I really hope that there is a continuation of this at some point. I would rate this series as Excellent!

Gundam Origin 4 Another enjoyable instalment in which Amaru's character grew stronger and more reliable but pleasingly still flawed. The kids had a larger role in this volume than they have had in previous, they added a good level of comedy. For some reason I haven't enjoyed the last two volumes as much as the first two though I'm not quite sure why, but its not going to stop me from carrying on.

No.6 6 & 7 I marathoned these last night and it was well worth the loss of sleep. Can this series get any cuter, I mean the story is dark but Rat and Shion's relationship is so beautiful to watch. Rat spoiler[crying for the first time] because of spoiler[the dark changes in Shion] nearly set me off. I love the development Shion's character has taken, it seems like the darkness he has seen and experienced as caused his personality to spoiler[split]. I can't wait for the next volume but at the same time I don't want the story to draw any closer to its conclusion.

Soul Eater 19 & 20 Just wow! As always two cracking instalments. It was a shame we didn't get to see spoiler[Black Star and Kid] actually battle it out, that would have been epic! Another shock was (huge spoiler coming up, do not read unless you have reached the end of volume 20) that spoiler[Medusa is dead and was killed by Crona no less!?!?! Shocked I'm not sure if she really is dead as she essentially stated to Crona I need you to harness the Black Blood so I can control the Kishin. At the end of volume 20 she shows joy that Crona had killed her as Crona should now be fully in control of the black blood. If Medusa new this, which it seemed like she did, why would she say she would control the Kishin if she knew she would have to die... I'm hoping she's not as she is my second favourite character in the series.] I hope that made sense if you read the spoiler Laughing
manjiorin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Most recently I've read the first volume of Animal Land, which I had been meaning to pick up based on some reviews I'd seen. It still feels like a series that probably doesn't get much love, but it was way more than I was expecting. Had a just picked it up in store and read the back I would have passed over it, but some of things it deals with (death, parenting etc) are way more adult than I expected.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Nijigahara holograph

Just got it today and when i cracked it open to inspect the pages an stuff i started reading......about an hour later i find myself closing the book muttering "f****ng headf**k". That's not to say i didn't enjoy it to the contrary it was very very good. Anyone who has read an Asano manga before will be right at home with the art style and debbie downer characters but this was a manga from the deep end.

I really dug the way the story loops as well, the concept of the same history repeating over and over is touched upon in the story so it was kind of cool that it was implemented at the end.

Nijigahara is my manga release of the year thus far. That being said, I did have to put it down mid-way to take a break, just because it's so damn depressing and heavy. I love that manga and am really hoping we get more Asano here (like PunPun...)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
yeah punpun was a real treat, would love to see a release in english just gotta be patient i guess as it usually takes the best part of a decade for some of these manga to make it over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQq4UvFKLE
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the Barakamon anime so much that I went out and bought the manga. I'm almost done with the second volume and am loving it! The characters are great. They definitely condensed a lot of material into the second anime episode but it didn't really feel rushed or anything so that's good.

Will be getting Noragami vol.11 tomorrow when it's released. Really looking forward to that.
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I am currently reading Feng Yu Jiu Tian. I like it due to the plot and it's based in China for a change. It also deals with royalty and the afterlife. The art is beautiful too. I hope it is updated.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Finished Barakamon through vol.3 and today I read Magi vol.22 and Noragami vol.11.

The kids in Barakamon are so cute. A friend who's originally from Kyuushuu is visiting over the weekend so I showed her the first two episodes of the anime and since she liked it, I handed her the manga too. Now she's read further than me! LoL.

The plot thickens in Magi and we get to learn a bit more about Solomon (who's pretty darn handsome) in this volume. Good stuff.

In Noragami, Yato continues to amuse me so much. He's such a kid. Got some back story on Daikoku that was really touching and then continuing from the previous volume we have the appearance of spoiler[Yato's father!] Hope the next volume comes out soon.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This morning I read watamote 3, Btooom 6 & Attack on Titan 12. I don't know why but I'm loosing interest in all 3. The Watamote anime was much funnier; maybe the comedy is much harder to poetry through a manga.
I don't know why I'm still reading Btooom, it's very lack listed and predictable also I feel nothing for any of the characters. I bored of seeing panty shots and tight shirts cupping boobs as someone is being chocked or half dieing. I don't find this type of sexualisation necessary. If it was to portray some kind of sexual desire of a character then yes but it's only role in this series is for titillation.
Finally I'm just not feeling Attack on Titan, I don't know where it's going (not always a bad thing) and everyone seems to be gaining abilities, especially Erin, feels like Dragonball Z - whenever he is going to die a new ability appears out of nowhere and he's fine.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
On Friday night I concluded a five-week 'manga binge' that saw me read roughly two volumes every weeknight. It's a fun ritual and I despair a little that I will have no new manga to read tomorrow night, but I cannot responsibly afford to allow such things to do on forever.

The last things I read were Moyoco Anno's Flowers & Bees and two works by Junko Mizuno: Cinderalla and two volumes of Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu. All gave satisfaction.

I took an interest in Flowers & Bees after reading a House of 1,000 Manga column about it and deciding that I should read more Josei. (Yes, I did technically miss as Flowers & Bees was published in a seinen magazine, but thematically it hit near where I was aiming) I've also become fond of Moyoco Anno.

The subject of Flowers & Bees is alien, as well as interesting, to me. The whole manga concerns an unsteady dork named Komatsu's desperate efforts to become attractive and get a girlfriend, thus implicitly to get laid. (Oh, why always that?) I passed on all of that throughout my life, which makes me a strange audience for, but at least puts me on level terms in knowledge with the protagonist, with whom I also share awkwardness and a profound dearth of confidence. I don't know if I was seeing a road not traveled or one that was never on my map, but it was an interesting one to trace.

I particularly enjoyed the Sakurai sisters, the lascivious beauties who replaced the three ill-defined, except perhaps for stereotype, effete men who operated the salon World of Beautiful Men, which Komatsu wanders into desperately for help. The Sakurai sisters are aggressive, relentlessly sexual and more or less evil, which I'm sort of a sucker for. They're natural opposites and tormentor-mentors for Komatsu. I think that I probably should object more to some of their actions, which almost certainly stray into NOT OKAY!, but my reaction is muted because I found how the audience is to perceive them ambiguous and, like I said, sucker.

The artwork has a peculiar contrast between males and females that I can't quite pin down. The men are drawn in a pretty familiar style, but the women tend to look almost alien. The most obvious sign is that the female characters have much large pupils, but they have a large, less easily defined otherworldliness. Sometimes they reminded me of Leiji Matsumoto's distinctive way of drawing women. (Maybe that's why I dug if; Sakura Ota made me remember Maetel!)

I found Flowers & Bees subversive in certain ways. Despite being about a high school boy's quest to get laid or whatever (his goals are appropriately ill-defined), the story is as much about the neuroses of girls and women as the protagonist. Komatsu's 'encounters' are with women who a anxious, insecure or miserable. His longer relationships portray nearly as much of the girls' anxieties and frustrations as his. It's effectively and refreshingly humanizing of the objects of affection. I think that there's something sly in a manga from a boy's perspective published in a seinen magazine being as concerned with the females he yearns for as him. 'Wimminz are hoo-mahn beans' seems like a persistently hard idea to grasp. I also noticed, although I worry as to what is bespeaks about me, that only women performed or talked about masturbating, especially the Sakurai sisters, either themselves or in derisive reference to men. I demure at speculating as to why.

Flowers & Bees does not end quite the way you might expect a story like this to be obligated to end, although it doesn't loudly slam the door on the idea either. Somewhere along his tormented path to level-up in the superficial, mechanistic way of an RPG, Komatsu actually matures a little and that seems to define the conclusion rather than whomever he got to pin on his arm. It's something like the opposite of banally toothless romantic comedies with their looming fait accompli finales realized when the props department gets the women in the right place. To this curious or in need, it might also be illuminating and instructive.

Junko Mizuno's works aren't so conducive to my sodding the thread down with text about. Here I can cite House of 1,000 Manga again, although that column is more interested in another work that I haven't read. They're really weird. Cinderalla is a bizarre retelling of the Cinderella story, but with zombies and restaurants and one of the evil stepsisters forces Cinderalla to knit brassieres for her gigantic breasts and instead of a glass slipper it's an eyeball... Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu is about a genital... or something... that become independent of the body that bore it and travels to Earth using a carnivorous space hippopotamus' mirror to travel to earth so he can make a baby...

What the Hell? I love it, but what the Hell?

Junko Mizuno's works use quickly moving, lightweight narratives to bounce through strange and twisted stories of human depravity and vileness. Cinderalla tells the familiar story, but bizarrely redressed and Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu is a familiar innocent's journey that is thwarted by the wretchedness of humanity. Yet, these aren't cheerless comics. It feels as though they were drawn with a glimmer in the eye and the distinctive My Little Pony in Hell artwork keeps things lively as well as it creates unnerving contrast. The books feel infused with considerable enthusiasm and delight. As I read it, I often found myself trying to reconcile, "Oh, how awful," with, "this is so FUN!" Perhaps erring in favor of one or the other allows the books to provide two distinctive reading experiences.

It occurs to me that between the works of Moyoco Anno and Junko Mizuno, this week I've seen more naked breasts and sex than I might otherwise behold in several months. This probably gives away just how exciting my lifestyle is, but more telling is that I never felt overwhelmed by this. Both mangaka are very sexually frank and unabashed in portraying sexuality. They avoid the frustratingly adolescent 'tee-hee, look-see' mentality and obnoxious, disruptive approach that so irritates me in anime. Sex had an obviously important part in the narrative of Flowers & Bees. For Junko Mizuno, although strikingly curvaceous naked women and sexual acts were everywhere and connected to the stories, there almost seemed to be no overbearing or loud emphasis upon it, it was just a normal part of the setting and narrative. It was perhaps akin to the experience of living in a nudist colony for a very long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 118 of 154