• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
I've caught up with Yona of the Dawn (and loving every second of it, praying to the licensing gods that someone licenses this manga)

But I've also recently started reading some manga on CR. I've avoided it for awhile but I enjoyed reading manga on my phone more than I thought.

So far I've read Orange (very good and now I plan to pick up the Seven Seas Omnibus Versions). It's a short and sweet romance/friendship manga. Although it has a time travel angle that's more a means to end. It's light on sci-fi, heavy on personal relationships.

And I'm 1/2 way through A Silent Voice. While I do enjoy this, based on reviews I thought I would love it but it's more I just Enjoy it. Reading it on CR is enough so I am kind of glad I didn't buy it blindly. One of those cases where my expectations weren't met. It's not long though so I definitely plan to finish reading it.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm reading another vampire romance called "Black Rose Alice". It has a unique and tragic take on vampirism. It's by the same woman who did "After School Nightmare".

I've also started "Tokyo Ghoul" and working my way through "Deadman Wonderland". I've also read "The Ancient Magnus Bride" which so far is a very good fantasy story.
monkeymoped

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Laughing i'm currently reading Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and from what i've read so far all I can say is its brilliant
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Been reading Berserk and Monster lately. Two awesome manga. Berserk I read already 180 chapters and it's enormously superior to the anime adaptations. Incredible manga, really fun and brutal, full of masculine aggression like a heavy metal album. Monster is a bit more refined treat, though still contains some Manga elements like conspiracy theories and almost super human individuals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I just finished reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya volume 20, the final volume.
It seems to me that the manga does a good job of following the novels, which I had read previously. Because of that the manga is a series of stories, rather than one continuing story.
The last few volumes were "The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya."

This last story was not my favorite of the series, but I did enjoy it. My biggest problem with it was that it seemed like it was being complex just to have complexity and it did not really contribute much to the story.
But I still enjoyed the story and I liked the characters.

Now that it is done I can say that reading the series was a satisfying and entertaining experience. I have no doubt that I will read it again now that I have all 20 volumes and can read it continuously.

I also bought volumes 8 and 9 of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan, the comic version of the stories.
I just started volume 8 which is the beginning of "The Surprise."
I actually enjoy this series more than the original.
This may seem heretical and blasphemous to fans of the novels but I think that the best reason for reading the novels and the original manga is to get a better appreciation of the gags in Haruhi-chan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am now reading Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky.
I really enjoyed both seasons of the TV series and this is my first encounter with any of the manga.

I just finished the first of the two volumes and will start the second later tonight or tomorrow.
This is not a manga adaptation of the TV series. It is also not compatible with the series. They cannot coexist in the same universe. The anime is already in an alternate universe, and the manga is in an alternate to that universe, and it is not our universe.

Miafuji is the only anime character who is in the manga so far. There was one panel with a partial view of somebody that I think is Major Sakamoto, so she might be in the second volume.
This first volume is set entirely in Fuso (Japan), which might explain why none of the other TV witches are in it yet. They would be in Britannia.
The manga introduces the concept of animal familiars. Those are the classic witch's familiars that you have probably seen in many other stories.

Despite the differences in the stories the manga is still very similar to the anime, and is just as much fun.
The manga reduced the fan service a bit, at least in this first volume. The girls still do not wear pants, but there has been no nudity.
faridania

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
I am about to start reading Hero Heel.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
faridania wrote:

Very good. Why? What appealed to you about it?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
I have finished the second, and final, volume of Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky and it was as much fun as the first volume.
The setting does change to Britannia and all of the girls from the TV series are there. But the stories are still not compatible and at least half of this volume is about Miafuji's friends from the first volume, who are not in the TV series.

This manga is not an essential part of the Strike Witches experience, mostly because of the compatibility issues, but as a fan I still enjoyed it.
I do want to try the other manga titles. It helps that they are each only one or two volumes. I will almost certainly read this one again, probably after I read the others.

My only complaint about the manga is the difference between it and the anime. I would definitely like it better if I did not have to deal with two different continuities.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Voice Over: Seiyuu Academy. It's quite a cute manga about kids trying out for voice actors. But the heroine's mother REALLY pisses me off.

I hate parents who treat their kids like crap. Twisted Evil Like I want to actually slap this bitch.....and it's frustrating because you just know she's never going to get what she deserves "because she's a mother in a shoujo manga and heroine will try to earn her approval".
twistingnether

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm re-reading/catching up on Shingeki no Kyojin, not because the second season is set to air soon, but because I really just miss the manga - it's just so much better.

It keeps getting better and better! ^-^ Or worse and worse...depending. Anime hyper

Also reading the multiple variances of Black Jack due to its newest format being aired soon! : DD (Young Black Jack looks so pretty!!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
faridania wrote:

Very good. Why? What appealed to you about it?

I could not get your point here.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
@#844038

The title of this thread is "What are You Reading right now? why?"

You are supposed to explain either why you chose the title to read or what your response to it is. Just listing a title or titles without explanation is frowned on, it adds nothing to the discussion.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize that Noragami vol.14 was out since last month so I picked it up along with Yuuutsu na Asa vol.6 and the latest Shinrei Tantei Yakumo novel yesterday.

Just finished Noragami and OMG so goooooooooood!!! It's nice to see Yukine hold his own against spoiler[Kazuma]. Next volume comes out next month. Hope I don't forget about it this time!

Skimmed through the entirety of Yuuutsu na Asa vol.6 and actually read through the first two chapters. I see some good stuff happening near the end of the book. X3~

Will start on Yakumo tomorrow. Since I only read while on the train and during my break at work, and I'm a bit hooked on Tsum Tsum which cuts into my reading time, I think this'll probably take me about a month to finish. ^^; I wish they'd re-animate Yakumo and follow the stories in the novels, though I guess that'd be difficult since some of them deal with issues that probably can't be broadcast on TV.

Oh yeah, and I'm still reading Naruto one chapter a day through the official app. Nearly cried yesterday. Asuma sensei!!!! T___T
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
monkeymoped wrote:
Laughing i'm currently reading Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and from what i've read so far all I can say is its brilliant

Just got volumes 1-3 myself. It looked like a very interesting and unique manga in terms of story and plot. So I figured why not.

As for other manga I just ordered the most current volumes of Oh My Goddess, Black Lagoon, Sundome, and Citrus. I've been meaning to get caught up on series for a while now.

Until those come in I just finished Girlfriends and am about to start Whispered Words omnibus vol 2. I also ordered vol 3. I figure I'll read both of these first and continue my yuri kick before catching up on other shows. Between the two I have to say I think I like Girlfriends more at this point. I'll wait and save judgment until after vol 2 of Whispered Words to see where the characters relationships are at.

Once I'm caught up on all of those I think it'll be time to get to those Battle Angel Alita Last Order collections I got in the mail from someone. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 132 of 154