• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
@Herald Of JOJO

In that case, all I can say is try it. The series is complete at 27 volumes here. If you have access to it, the anime is excellent. It follows the manga well up until the last two episodes. They provided an original ending because the manga wasn't finished then.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

All right. I'm convinced. Here's to hopefully finishing Claymore. Smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Owari No Seraph volume 6.

Guys.

The manga is glorious. The art is beautiful and detailed, the characters are a bit more fleshed out.

THE HUMOR THO.

Take this for example:

spoiler[ *Kimizuki puts his coat on sleeping Yuu. Everyone stares*
Kimizuki: ...what're you looking at? If this idiot catches cold, he'll lag behind in training, which will delay MY training.
Shinoa: I wasn't going to say anything actually.
*puts her coat on Mitsuba*
Mitsuba: What are you doing?
Shinoa: Play Yuu-san.
Mitsuba: Oh! *takes bashful pose* OMIGOSH KIMIZUKI, THAT WAS SO NICE OF YOU! LIKE REALLY SUPER SUPER NICE! YOU'RE THE NICEST NICE GUY TO EVER BE NICE TO ME!
Shinoa: Heh, aren't I just amazing?
Mitsu: But I shouldn't read into it. You're that nice to everybody, aren't you?
Shinoa: NO, YUU! YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE I'M THIS NICE TO BECAUSE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE I LOVE!
Mitsu: R-really?
Shinoa: YUU!!
Mitsu: KIMIZUKI!!
*both girls embrace passionately*]

......yeah, I died. Anime hyper
LegionXIII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi all! I'm new to this forum/thread but I'd love to share what I've been reading/read lately.

Currently reading gegege no kitaro. Its a cute kids horror manga from the 60s. The plot isn't too crazy but it basically invented the idea of yokai/demons as a thing. The author just died and he's been pretty influential so I figured I had to give it a go and I'm totally loving it.

I've also been getting my shounen fix with Seven deadly sins, though I started and caught up last week so its sort of in a lull for me.

I also was reading Ten recently. Which is a mahjong manga, and like, I actually have no clue what is going on for the mahjong scenes but its pretty suspensful regardless so its pretty fun. They're making an akagi live action movie in japan and I've been seeing so many ads that I looked it up, and seeing as akagi is a spin off of ten I started reading it. I'm almost done but I'm def losing steam. Theres only so much interest I can maintain in a manga about a game I 100% don't understand.

There are a bunch more, but I cant remember.

I started noblesse and was really not into it.

I'll post more if I remember.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
LegionXIII wrote:
I also was reading Ten recently. Which is a mahjong manga, and like, I actually have no clue what is going on for the mahjong scenes but its pretty suspensful regardless so its pretty fun. They're making an akagi live action movie in japan and I've been seeing so many ads that I looked it up, and seeing as akagi is a spin off of ten I started reading it. I'm almost done but I'm def losing steam. Theres only so much interest I can maintain in a manga about a game I 100% don't understand.
If it helps any, I think the last three volumes or so have absolutely nothing to do with mahjong. Smile I don't want to say too much about it, it goes in kind of a weird direction but it's an interesting way to end things to say the least.
LegionXIII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
@saffire

good to know! I always get a little sad when I don't put in the time to finish a series. I'm pretty close, I think I'm at the like harada vs. ten showdown?
FriendlyHougen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently reading Death Note. I am on the fourth volume and I haven't started it yet. I have most of them at my school library but they have a big gap of missing volumes (4-7) and I have to buy those until I get to 8. Once I'm done with that I'll watch the anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The best person to shop for me is of course ME, so for Christmas, I ordered Voice Over Seiyuu Academy! vols 8-10 and read each one immediately after the other

This is definitely one of the best shoujo slice-of-life I've read in a while....and the cool thing is, everything that happens COULD actually happen for real. Once I got to my favorite character's arc, I just could not put it down. It opened my eyes to see a character doesn't have to have abusive parents to be damaged.....they just have to raise them abnormally. And this character's mother damaged him so much with her bizarre way of thinking....you know what....ALL MOMS IN THIS MANGA REALLY SUCK. lol

But it's so good. I can't wait to get the last two books and I'm gonna be sad when it's over.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I am just about to finish volume 19 of Kamisama Kiss.
This wraps up the story about the trip to Okinawa, and various adventures in the sea. I enjoyed this story a lot more than the previous story about Nanami going to the past. This is much more like the early parts of the series that made me really love it.

I cannot say much without getting into spoilers. Just the fact that I really like it is probably a bit of a spoiler for anybody who knows my tastes, but I guess that can't be helped.Razz
We do see interesting things happening with three different relationships, one of which is new in this book.
And most of the story threads are tied up nicely. There are no cliff-hangers or loose ends.
This will make the wait for volume 20 a lot easier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I started reading Song of the Long March, since people were compering it to Akatsuki no Yona. To tell the truth, I don’t see that much similarities after reading 25 chapters. Yes, they both have their family member(s) killed by a person close to them, but similarities end with similar circumstances. Both stories have different strengths and different weaknesses. AnY is better when it comes to interactions. Even if Yona and Hak’s romance is generic and boring as hell, interactions between Soo-won and Yona and Soo-won and Hak are done well. In Song of the Long March interactions are not interesting. (Of course, it may change later, but I have not seen anything interesting in these 25 chapters) It relies on the plot even more heavily than Yona. And apart from the main heroine, no one gets a decent character development and even if some character development in supporting characters occurs, it is because the plot demands it. On the other hand, Song of the Long March is much better when it comes to things like intrigues and military. Besides, Chang Ge is definitely smarter than Yona. And I think that I may end up liking her better than Yona.

Not that it is a problem that intrigues in AnY are simpler. Yona is more of an adventure story after all, but the military side could have been better.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Been reading Food Wars!, which is a very entertaining manga about cooking. It's a shounen manga and published in Shounen Jump, which means that it's essentially a Dragon Ball or One Piece style applied on a cooking framework: cooks battle with each other and I am finding it overall hilarious (which is something that I think was not fully intendened by the authors). I also liked the style of it, very conventional but very well done.

Been reading Inio Asano's stuff, like Solanin and A Beautiful World. Overall I found most of it to be a combination of pretty good moments and pretty boring moments. It's art manga anyway.

CoreSignal wrote:
And for some "old" stuff, I'm currently rereading Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I read it for the first time two years ago and was blown away. I consider the Nausicca manga to be a masterpiece. I felt I missed out on some of the subtleties of themes and the characters the first time I read it so I'm expecting to enjoy it just as much the second time.

Still my favorite manga/book since I read it 4 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Been reading World Trigger. I'm only on volume 4, but I'm really liking what I've read so far. I do admit that it was kind of slow going for the first few chapters, but after that I found myself getting invested. I really enjoy the art and I find it to be similar to Bleach, although softer (if that makes sense).

One of the things I enjoy is how the world building is done. It's not just all static panels, most of it is done with panels that show whatever it's explaining in action such as the different types of triggers (fight scenes).

It does introduce a lot of characters at once though. The author himself even jokes about how most people won't remember them. I particularly enjoy Yuma since he's not afraid to call people out on their crap. The main character Osamu is kind of overshadowed by the rest of the cast. There's also a character who is a deus ex machina(something else that's acknowledged by the author) at points, but he's more of a side character. There's also some interesting politics going one within the Border Agency.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this series is going.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Finished rereading Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and it's still a masterpiece (@Jose Cruz, it's also probably my favorite manga). Fantastic artwork, worldbuilding, and story. It can get a little heavy-handed with the themes at times and I know people complain about Nausicaa being a Mary Sue-type character but I think it works for this kind of grand, epic story. That said, the most interesting (and my favorite) character is actually Kushana. I'm not surprised at all that Hideaki Anno wanted to do a spin-off anime just on her. It's too bad that many fans of the Nausicaa movie either don't know that there's a Nausicaa manga or have never read it. Hopefully, that'll change.

Claymore Vols.1-7- Watched the anime years ago and remember liking it and thinking about reading the rest of the story in the manga but never got around to it. But when I saw that huge Viz boxset on sale, I said why not? I'm really enjoying so far, Norihiro Yagi's artwork is very elegant, especially the women, and the action is great. The story isn't the deepest, it follows some standard shonen tropes and the non-stop fights can get repetitive but there's some very good storytelling and characterization.

Monster Vols.1-10- Naoki Urasawa's name gets mentioned a lot whenever I hear about great manga creators so I decided to check out Monster based on all the praise and it's been excellent so far. It's a great combination of a suspense thriller and a deep, psychological character study. Tenma's tragic backstory had me hooked from the start and Johan is one of the most enigmatic villians I've ever seen in a manga. My only complaint so far is that there's sometimes too much focus on the side characters and while all the side characters are well-written, it can drag down the pacing of story at times. The art is great, I really like the way Urasawa positions his characters in a panel, although facial expressions can look a little "cartoony" sometimes. Anyway I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Vols.1-2- I'm always on the lookout for mecha manga, and I heard great things about the Gundam Origin manga and it's excellent even this early on. Yasuhiko's artwork is amazing and the fact that Yas' was both the character designer and one of animators on the orignal show gives the art a classic, but modern feel. The epic battle scenes are fantastic as well. The story and general atmosphere feels much more like a war story than the original show. As a casual Gundam fan, I'm not aware of all the small details and differences from the original show but personally, I think this is the definitive version of the gundam origin story.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It's not that I've not been reading, just been lazy on writing about it. Or the cat distracts me, and we fall asleep together. It's always awesome, she's a very talented cuddler, she's even purring on my right now as I type (humans at the computer, trying to do something, is simply her favorite), resting her head on me, treating me like her own personal bed. It can make reading manga difficult sometimes, as I try to shove her to my side or under the covers when I read, but sometimes, she simply won't have it and demands a spot right on my lap, where that weird paper thing would normally go.

I think I had read a random of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service before (it could've been maybe v 1?), but those omnibuses seemed like a good idea. I remember being more "meh" from my experiment earlier, but it's because volume 2 was clearly where the series took off. The first volume is average, but ok, but then the second volume comes along and goes "yeah, we're going to have multi-chapter stories, no one-shot stories anymore!" and volume 3 went back a little to "some will be multi-chapter, might have some one-shots", but either way, damn am I excited to read more! Good thing I bought omnibus 2 before 1 (but I couldn't read it until I read 1, dammit!), it's awesome.

I also wasn't excepting to enjoy the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins as much as I did. I've started to figure that I'm so-so to Kodansha's shojo manga, but all over their shonen. Definitely plan to read more. I usually dislike the whole pervert thing, but it didn't annoy me enough I suppose. My friend has spoken highly of the anime.

I also got to read v 5 and 6 of Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, sticking with the theme of the number 7 apparently. And I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. All the kissing is weird, but I guess I'm as used to it as the main characters by now. And each new character just adds to the mix and we get to explore more characters, so I'm game.

I read v 3 and 4 of Wild 7, which I seem to be going through at a friggin snail's pace. But every time I get into it, it's like "omfg this is just... ridiculous", what with its insane mix of motorcycles and guns. And I think it takes place in Japan, but why it has more guns than an American action movie is beyond me. The action has aged surprisingly well, even if the character designs are clearly dated (looks like Speed Racer, but sure doesn't feel like it). Also, I've noticed that some of the characters, including the lead (notably the lead in fact), are drawn with butts to please Tina. I still don't know why Comics One thought this was a good title to bring over. I mean, it's a good series, but there's no way it'd sell over here, guess I'll be happy with the 6 volumes we did get.

Also in my backlog was Golgo 13, which I found to be ungodly boring. I think I'm good having read only a few volumes.

I definitely plan to continue Inuyashiki was well. Damn if you don't feel bad for the main dude's family situation, they are such jerks to him at pretty much all times. But the scifi stuff is also very enjoyable and well worth sticking around for, so I look forward to more.

I also would like more of Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation. A NEET is reincarnated in a fantasy world of magic and sorcery, and decides he wants to do something this time around and becomes a magical prodigy. I'm not entirely sue the framing device of reincarnated NEET is exactly necessary, I'm hoping it will become worthwhile later on, but for now, it doesn't distract from an awesome fantasy series either. I suppose there are hints of his past life still affecting him mentally, and not just his excitement at moe magic teachers (it is fulfilling a favorite anime trope of his, after all), so I'm hoping that will get developed more. But I definitely want the second volume. But it is stuff like this, Lucifer, Claylord, and Ancient Magus that means that Seven Seas deserves your attention as they've decided to not just publish boob material anymore. And the series they've been choosing have been really damn good too.

Speaking of, I also finished Claylord: Master of Golem, a short 3 volume series. It finished its main conflict of Clay learning about his past, so I'm glad for that, but dammit, man, I really wanted more! It has all the material necessary to make a full blown long shonen series. It's got great world building, good lead characters with great interactions, I really do need to complain that it's too short for once! I mean, I guess it's better than overstaying its welcome, and unlike a lot of other "it was too short" series, which seem to get cancelled just as they're about to start, Claylord did achieve good entertainment in its short time, so I can't be too mad at it.

And in the realm of weird, there's always Kaori Yuki. Grand Guignol Orchestra this time. I'm always baffled by her style, which seems to both take its time, and go by too fast, and GGO was no exception. But it was definitely enjoyable zombie adventure I suppose. I think it's a pretty good introduction to her work, it's shorter than others, but also a bit easier to follow than some of her other works I think. It's solid Kaori Yuki, I feel like you already know if you like her or not.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I read v 3 and 4 of Wild 7, ...looks like Speed Racer,

Mochizuki Mikiya, the creator of Wild 7, was an assistant to Yoshida Tatsuo, who founded Tatsunoko Productions. Mochizuki also worked for Tatsunoko Productions. Yoshida and Tatsunoko Productions produced Mach GoGoGo (Speed Racer). So in early works by Mochizuki, the character design was Tatsunoko-ish.
I have read early works by Mochizuki such as Arawashi Shōnentai, The Forefront and Secret Agent JA in the original, and the character design of the leads was Tatsunoko-ish also in them.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 135 of 154