• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Minute wrote:
Black Lagoon is another show that looks like it will be quite good.

yeah i'm surprised Black Lagoon wasn't mentioned either, this series is showing huge potential.

i totally agree on Air Gear. this was one of my most anticipated series of the spring, and so far it's a massive disappointment.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Case

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Why no review for Ergo Proxy? I was counting on you for that one. =P
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i totally agree on Air Gear. this was most of my most anticipated series of the spring, and so far it's a massive disappointment.

Yeah, to be honest, I really wanted to like Air Gear since it seemed like it was more suited to anime than Tenjou Tenge was, given the source material.

Ultimately I decided that Oh!Great's manga is really only good as manga.

Case wrote:
Why no review for Ergo Proxy? I was counting on you for that one. =P

Ergo Proxy came out in February. It's a little too old for the preview guide.

If you want my opinion, though, it's too purposefully confusing and complicated for its own good. Nice animation, though.
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Host Club is incredibly similar to Hana Yori Dango? LOL, I'm a huge Hanadan fan and can't say I pieced those two together beyond Ouran taking place at a school with rich, good looking guys in it. Razz If anything, the humor (and the art style) reminded me of Fruits Basket but with more ridiculous bishounen parody humor and less character depth (thus far)... not to say that is bad, on the contrary, because I found Ouran hilarious in a delightful over-the-top fashion... so over-the-top that it's a great addition for the spring season.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Will there be more entries for the Spring Review, like Black Lagoon, Tokko, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, ZegaPain, The Third and Witchblade?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Procyon wrote:
Honestly, the person who wrote those reviews is just a #@!&!
i agree about haruhi(Which i'm looking forward to it) soul link & Disgea (cheap!!!) , but XXXholic... (rant rant rant rant fangirl rant rant rant rant rant)

Yes, I must agree Zac is a doodie-head because you disagree with him on one title.

My God, if this is what Clamp's fanbase is predominantly like these days, AX 2006 will be a memorable con indeed. One of vitrol, bile and yaoi paddles. (shiver)

Nice reviews, Zac. 100% in agreement about Haruhi and Nana, and going to check out Ouran Host Club now. A little silly shoujo hyjinx never hurt anyone.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Got a question for you Zac, are you going to plan for spring preview 2006 2? Even though some of them are sequels to other anime titles released in the past, there's plenty of other animes out there to explore.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Animedude35 wrote:
Got a question for you Zac, are you going to plan for spring preview 2006 2? Even though some of them are sequels to other anime titles released in the past, there's plenty of other animes out there to explore.

To be honest, there are so many new shows out right now that I'm considering it.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy this feature. Not only getting Zac's insight, but also getting the shows' names out there for people who don't know about it yet.

And speaking of how good an indicator Zac is, despite Suzumiya, I'm pretty much on the other side of the fence in every preview (also going on a couple eps. myself).

There MUST be a sequal! Cool
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya being one of the best shows this season. It is THE best of the shows I've seen.

As for Ouran Host Club having a lot of similarities to Boys Over Flowers, I didn't really notice them. The similarity I saw was that it involved a normal-income girl getting into a prestigious rich-person school, and I'm sure Hana Yori Dango wasn't the first to do that. The reason I initially avoided the manga (which I still haven't read, but I now intend to get) was because it looked like just another cross-dressing manga.

Regarding Disgaea. I'm a fan of the game and the anime hasn't impressed me yet. I've only seen the first episode, but the show will have to improve a lot for me to continue much longer. I'm giving it until episode 3 before I write it off.

Regarding the fanservice in Girls' High. The manga certainly has fanservice, including panty shots. However, when there are panty shots, they are rarely the main focus of the panel. From the screenshots I've seen (as I haven't actually watched it yet), it seems that the panty shots in the anime are much more frequent and more of the focus.
Minute

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
High School Girls left me wondering who the hell the target audience was. The first episode led me to believe it was target at guys because of all the fanservice right up until the point that it got completely disgusting. I haven't seen the second episode yet but I heard it is just as repulsive as the first episode.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The manga left me wondering the same thing, but I found out that it ran in a magazine that targets both guys and girls. So it was probably made with the intention of attracting both.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of Haruhi Suzumiya and Ouran High Host Club. I think I will probably check out Nana too.

Haruhi Suzumiya is definitely one of the best anime that I've seen, and Ouran High is not too far behind. If Nana turns out like what the reviewer said, then I'll probably like that too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
My God, if this is what Clamp's fanbase is predominantly like these days, AX 2006 will be a memorable con indeed. One of vitrol, bile and yaoi paddles. (shiver)

Most definitely yaoi paddles. I can honestly see half of the crowd (that knows who CLAMP is) wanting to glomp them and sing their praises from there to Alabama and the other half wanting their heads on pikes. While I am not working the con, I would suggest that AX beefs up their security detail for CLAMP even more so than they do for their other big guests. I'm thinking 2 security/head, but my expertise is Dealer's Room, so what do I know? ^^;

[quote="Zac]To be honest, there are so many new shows out right now that I'm considering [a 2nd Spring Preview article].[/quote]

Really? That would be an unexpected yet welcome surprise. I was honestly happy with the one and just naturally assumed that would be all there is.
DemonicCoyotes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I think has the catchiest and the best first episode i've ever seen, and the succeeding episodes just keeps getting better and better. NANA is also an anime I'm keeping an eye on, as well as Ouran High School Host Club. The rest of the lineup seems painful to watch...
How about School Rumble Nigakki? I'm a fan of the first season. Hopefully the second is just as good, if not better...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8