• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is definitely worth looking into. It's an odd juxtaposition of bishoujo comedy and suspenseful murder mystery, and somehow it works. The first episode only has small hints of things to come, but episode 2 turns up the suspense a notch, and is surprisingly unsettling. It's pretty unique, and I would recommend it if one likes anime that are rather outside the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Probably gonna start watching "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" tomorrow morning.

I guess I won't bother with Shana right now since the English version would come out in about five months from now, so I'd probably not bother. Or if not, then I'll wait for Animax Asia to show it using the Official English dub from Geneon.

But I guess for now, it's time to try some new anime for 2006.
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Nana since it started in Shojo Beat. In my opinion it's worth reading, as is Ouran High Host Club. Now that I know they're making animes of them I'm going to have to check them out.
Gecko Zero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I find myself pretty much in agreement with Zac on these mini reviews (warning--the unlooked at Zegapain is far worse than either Air Gear or Kiba...). So far, my experimentation for this spring has put Ouran High School Host Club, Haruhi Suzumiya, xxxHOLIC, and Ergo Proxy at the top, followed by NANA, which is good, just difficult for me to get into, and Gintama, which I need to see more of before deciding if it goes top five. Black Lagoon looks promising, as does TOKKO; of course, it may not be, too Wink; in any case, they and Ergo are welcome relief in the Season of Fluff, as I've named it...
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a question though:

In the ending credits of episode 1 of Haruhi, I saw quite a lot of English text.

My question is:
Are these text created by the people who this anime show or are these just text made by the fansubbers???

Thanks in advance.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
Are these text created by the people who this anime show or are these just text made by the fansubbers???

The fansubbers changed it. It was originally in Japanese.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow.

None of those sound interesting whatsoever.

There's always next season for interesting premises, I guess.

as others have said, there's a lot of ones he didn't mention like Black Lagoon and Tokko. i honestly think these two will be huge in the US if they keep up the quality they have so far.
lazuline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
wow, OURAN H.S. HOST CLUB is much better in anime form

I can accept the absence of:

TOKKO (boring generic manga)
BLACK LAGOON (manga has been somewhat interesting)
WITCHBLADE (I've given up on GONZO)

...since these are somewhat generic action series

But, I'm disapointed that
GINTAMA
and the equally hillarious second season of
SCHOOL RUMBLE
were missing from the list...

-_- lies.
I could care less.
Now excuse me while I go back to reading vol 12 of GINTAMA. (Seriously, can I emphasize any further how underappreciated this series is by the non-Japanese empowered American fan).

the mangaotaku has spoken -_- lol.

I hate Nana.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

-_- lies.
I could care less.
Now excuse me while I go back to reading vol 12 of GINTAMA. (Seriously, can I emphasize any further how underappreciated this series is by the non-Japanese empowered American fan).

the mangaotaku has spoken -_- lol.

I hate Nana.

Was your aim here to come across as a completely condescending, elitist jerk?

Because if so, mission accomplished, buddy.

Also: Not sure I'm going to have time to make a Part II for this feature, but if I do, I'll be sure to take the suggestions in this thread for what shows will appear.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also: Not sure I'm going to have time to make a Part II for this feature, but if I do, I'll be sure to take the suggestions in this thread for what shows will appear.

Be sure to include Ray: the Animation if you do another list. This oddball spin off of Tezuka's Black Jack deserves some attention, if for nothing else than the combat-trained hospital staff.
kaoruchujo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Nana is an excellent show, but if Suzumiya Haruhi maintains the quality it's maintaining to episode 3, it will be the greatest anime ever made.

Some other top shows that you didn't include in your excellent preview guide: Simoun (terrific SF in a well-conceived alien world, with yuri overtones); The Good Witch of the West (excellent period fantasy starring Orikasa Fumiko); Saiunkoku Monogatari (a classic story with great voice-acting, set against a wonderful fantasy-medieval-China background).

And I agree that Gintama is good -- totally nuts -- even though it isn't altogether my style. For reference, I admire noein, Karin, Honey&Clover and Ichigo Mashimaro, and don't enjoy Mai-HiME, magical girl or mecha.

Last edited by kaoruchujo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
astra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
How does Nana compare to Paradise Kiss, anime-wise? I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with the Parakiss anime but the characters are what make up for it. Whereas with Nana (and I've only read the manga), I don't find the characters that compelling.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow.

None of those sound interesting whatsoever.

There's always next season for interesting premises, I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what's your definition of interesting?

I've been lapping up all of the first episodes that've come out so far, and Haruhi just floored me. I was expecting a droll harem series, but I was very delightfully surprised. For the most part I agree with all fo Zac's comments, but these ten are pretty much the series that I least wanted to see some else's comments on, considering I've already got a very set opinion for all of them.

I'm looking for mini-reviews of: Zegapain (I found the first episode intriguing without being a RahXephon/Eva clone (*cough*Fafner*cough*)), Utawarerumono (I'm a HaKagi addict all the way, (ignoring ToHeart), so I'm already a little biased, but the first two episodes really piqued my interest), Ray, and Strawberry Panic.

This really looks like it's one of the best new season line-ups in a long time, even with the numerous disappointments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kamon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
kaoruchujo wrote:
Simoun (terrific SF in a well-conceived alien world, with yuri overtones);

Oh wow.

I'm a total scifi nerd, so I couldn't help but sample this show. I thought it was awful. Wafer-thin plot, undercharacterization of way too many characters, bizarre (and not in an appealing way) mecha designs, and utterly ridiculous "science" (ships that use the power of girl-on-girl kisses? Give me a freakin' break.).

There were a couple of mildly interesting concepts in the show, but nothing that would give me any interest in continuing it, whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
saini85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree with most of the previews here and I would definitely recommend a part II to this guide. 'The third' and 'Black Lagoon' have caught my interest and I think they have potential. Also, just another show that I haven't seen anyone mention is 'Himawari.' It's a ninja show and I've only seen an eisode but it seems like it could be quite good. It had great looking animation except maybe the CG didn't blend in well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8