• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
I watched the second episode of that Haruhi show (the first actual episode), and while it was amusing, and definitely had several funny scenes, I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's fairly middle of the road as anime comdies go, not nearly as funny as the top tier comedies like Fumoffu, Dokuro, or Excel, and most of the characters seem fairly generic.

"Top teir" comedies? The only one of those that's remotely funny is Fumoffu and even that one gets tiresome.

People are enjoying Haruhi so much because the humor isn't like any other anime comedy; rather than being over-the-top slapstick parody, it's dry, sarcastic and clever satire. A totally different kind of comedy that thrives in America but hasn't really grown yet in Japan.

To me, a subtle, well-written satire of anime is a lot better than Excel dressing up like Sailor Moon and screaming 29 words a second while being hit in the face with a frying pan. A lot of other people feel the same way I do.

I competely agree with everything you've said about Haruhi Suzumiya. While true anime comedies are in a sense very much like American sitcoms, where it overflows with comedic scenes and people laughing in the background, Haruhi Suzumiya is more subtle, and it's that subtleness that makes it more funny than what it may seem. It's the first comedic anime series that takes advantage of such a style and it's extremely successful. Also, the fact that it has the best animation that I've ever seen in anime helps its case very much.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

"Top teir" comedies? The only one of those that's remotely funny is Fumoffu and even that one gets tiresome.

And you enjoy Haruhi, I get it, you like what you like and nobody's telling you otherwise, but not everybody has to like what you like. Excel and Dokuro have large fan followings. I'm just trying to provide a valid counter point to the glowing praise. I thought it was decent, but if I'm watching a show for comedy alone (as opposed to comedy+action) then I expect it to be funnier, like Honey & Clover, or Abenobashi, or at the very least as funny as Rozen Maiden. This series, for the most part, wasn't, at least to my tastes.

Quote:
I competely agree with everything you've said about Haruhi Suzumiya. While true anime comedies are in a sense very much like American sitcoms, where it overflows with comedic scenes and people laughing in the background, Haruhi Suzumiya is more subtle, and it's that subtleness that makes it more funny than what it may seem.

Eh, maybe. While I watch many shows that have comedy "on the back burner", and enjoy the comedy contained within, I watch the shows because the "front burner" material is compelling in it's own right. For example I enjoy the humor in Grey's Anatomy, but if the humor was ALL I wanted then I'd only watch Scrubs, because it's much funnier, but Grey's has a solid dramatic/romantic angle to enjoy as well as the comedy.

The problem I have with Haruhi is that the comedy is subtle and on the back burner of the show, but there is NOTHING on the front burner. Aside from the limited quantity of quirky comedy it's just a generic highschool anime, with nothing to keep me engaged while I'm waiting for the haha. I'm just saying, that's why *I* don't enjoy the show, I'm not trying to convince you that you shouldn't enjoy it.

I also watch The Third, and actually found it to be more amusing than Haruhi, in addition to having far superior animation and some great action sequences.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

And you enjoy Haruhi, I get it, you like what you like and nobody's telling you otherwise, but not everybody has to like what you like. Excel and Dokuro have large fan followings. I'm just trying to provide a valid counter point to the glowing praise. I thought it was decent, but if I'm watching a show for comedy alone (as opposed to comedy+action) then I expect it to be funnier, like Honey & Clover, or Abenobashi, or at the very least as funny as Rozen Maiden. This series, for the most part, wasn't, at least to my tastes.

Quote:
I competely agree with everything you've said about Haruhi Suzumiya. While true anime comedies are in a sense very much like American sitcoms, where it overflows with comedic scenes and people laughing in the background, Haruhi Suzumiya is more subtle, and it's that subtleness that makes it more funny than what it may seem.

Eh, maybe. While I watch many shows that have comedy "on the back burner", and enjoy the comedy contained within, I watch the shows because the "front burner" material is compelling in it's own right. For example I enjoy the humor in Grey's Anatomy, but if the humor was ALL I wanted then I'd only watch Scrubs, because it's much funnier, but Grey's has a solid dramatic/romantic angle to enjoy as well as the comedy.

The problem I have with Haruhi is that the comedy is subtle and on the back burner of the show, but there is NOTHING on the front burner. Aside from the limited quantity of quirky comedy it's just a generic highschool anime, with nothing to keep me engaged while I'm waiting for the haha. I'm just saying, that's why *I* don't enjoy the show, I'm not trying to convince you that you shouldn't enjoy it.

I also watch The Third, and actually found it to be more amusing than Haruhi, in addition to having far superior animation and some great action sequences.

I really don't get why everyone sees Haruhi as "only" a comedy, yes it's true that it does have a lot of funny moments, but it's more like a crazy drama (IMHO), and it is most definitely not the same type of funny that FMP fumoffu is (despite what episode 3 may lead you to believe), and I think that it has the potential to actually get into some sort of a plot; which is a definite plus for me... Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much... I just can't judge what type of genre Haruhi is yet, the randomness of this show is only rivaled by FLCL (IMO); and I STILL don't get all of FLCL yet. Rolling Eyes

P.S. please do a second review...
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I disagree about Air Gear. I find it to be a refreshing series. I have never seen an anime about rocket propelled roller blades. The character designs all have lots of style and are overall very attractice.

Another thing is that Disgaea really disappointed me. I was expecting a direct adaptation of the game. The stupid human guy with the robot ruins the whole experience.

And why wasnt Gintama mentioned?
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
I found it funny when I read the review is that some of the anime listed as good are the ones I dislike. I actually like Air Gear and KIBA. (NANA and .hack//Roots as well) XXXHOlic is a watse of time when I can read the manga. Haruhi is like blah to me. I just can't get into it. Disgaea was really disappointing for me.
Yamabushi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Hey ANN staff, & company.
I hate to seem like a pretentious jerk. But...
"Is it any good?" I don’t think that this section is relevant for a preview. Im not sure, btu it looks to be too opinionated. Which is antonymous with “preview.” Preview, being more of an exhibition. Review, being more of a critical examination, or report.
Albeit, I seem to have similar opinions on all the series that I’ve previewed that are in this section. "To bad black lagoon wasnt in here".
Maybe for a preview; it would be better to have the second paragraph focusing more directly on information about the show, and clarify what type
of fans the series will cater, & appeal to.
So..
I humbly submit this as a thought for future anime preview guides, and previews in general. *-*;
That said. thanks for the preview.
Im no a super linguist, so having never read the Nana manga, watching it in japanese through me for a loop. Ill definitely check it out further
astra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

To me, a subtle, well-written satire of anime is a lot better than Excel dressing up like Sailor Moon and screaming 29 words a second while being hit in the face with a frying pan. A lot of other people feel the same way I do.

AMEN!

By the way, I watched the Nana movie last night and noticed that the (at least the first episode) anime and the movie match scene for scene- same dialogue, even shots from the same angles. It was weird.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Zac wrote:

AMEN!

By the way, I watched the Nana movie last night and noticed that the (at least the first episode) anime and the movie match scene for scene- same dialogue, even shots from the same angles. It was weird.

Then you would probably like Gintama. I love how he mocks Shonen Jump magazine even though it is in it. "A man my age reading jump. Pathetic.." and "Hm..Bankai..I wish I had something like that." I enjoy it. Smile
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first few episodes of NANA and Ouran and enjoyed them both. Nice to see they got positive reviews~

I've been meaning to watch the xxxHolic anime since I'm a big fan of the manga, but I'd like to take this chance to say that sweet holy mother of God, Watanuki's proportions are SO SCREWED UP in that screencap. X___X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
poichok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
Really like Ouran specially the simple humor it gives to its viewers.

Though, I find Haruhi Suzumiya a bit boring (maybe because of the complicated and dragging plot)(or is it just me?)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
I've seen at least a little of most of the new shows. I think Black Lagoon looks to be the best of the bunch so far. Himawari is a lot of fun, and The Third is a really great mix of action, style, and humor. I also like Tokko, .Hack//Roots (tentatively), Strawberry Panic, Utaware, Kiba (tentatively), Ray, and Simoun is kinda weird, but not bad.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
This just randomly popped into my head: How does the ANN staff get these episodes? Do they have friends with sattelites?

Melancholy seems to be a departure from the average, which is extremely considering the lack of originality that's going around. Everything is just trying to be louder, more raucous, and more stereotypical, and that's bad. I like something a little more on the subdued side, (which is probably why I'm going to make mad sweet love to Diamond Daydreams if I ever get the urge to pick it up)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This just randomly popped into my head: How does the ANN staff get these episodes? Do they have friends with sattelites?

We've a lot of avenues available to us, but the easiest, quickest way is often the way of the fan...

Fansubs.

There are several ways that we could do this preview without fansubs, but it would be much more time consuming and the reviewer would have to be one of our Japanese speaking staff.

So when you see the season previews, most you can assume that most of it comes from fansubs. But when you see a single review, its quite possible that it was something provided to us by a Japanese company...

(Before someone brings it up: People always think ANN is "anti-fansub" but we aren't. We're just against certain type of fansub related behaviour... and no, this thread is not open to the fansub debate.)

-t
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Thanks for answering. Very Happy (Though it's probably not a good idea to parade that answer around...)

It was one of those so obvious questions, I glazed over it until it popped back in my head.
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know why Haruhi is skipping around in continuity? They showed episode 1 second, episode 2 third, and now they just showed episode 7 fourth! I'm so very lost. Next week they're showing episode 3 fifth. Is there a reason for this? Is there a joke I'm missing out on? Or are they just messing with our minds?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8