• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-04-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
The rantor's (ranters?) mention of ugly otaku being a product of their technology is really the core of the issue. Oldschool anime fans were not plugged into anime the way they can be now, when scant hours after a show has aired in Japan it can be viewed by thousands of otaku all around the world. The whole convenient, easy, quick, give-it-to-me-now culture that the Internet reflects supports the ugly otaku's penchant for hoarding fansubs, rather than DVDs, locking themselves in their rooms at night and basically withdrawing from society. Remember, the Internet is a great place to discover you're not alone in your particular hobby, which tends to boost one's confidence and make everyone ELSE a little more aware of the subcultures around them.

I have to say this, though: when I first read the words "ugly otaku," I thought "Oh no, he's not going to say something about the physical stereotypes being true, is he?" Hmm...I was just inspired to write another rant.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
The rant makes some good points, it may not offer corrective action but it is a rant, the point of a rant is to basically complain about an issue and he did that.

The main problem with it is it is still a bit of a generalization. The fan type he notes is certainly a noticeable fan type and there's no question these types of fan exist. The issue is that being a new generation anime fan doesn't necessarily make one this type of fan, nor does preferring the newer style of anime over the older type.

As for misunderstandings being the reason for isolation as hanachan01 mentioned, I don't buy it, anime is more mainstream now than it ever was before and liking something that isn't mainstream is no reason to make yourself a shut-in and devote your existence to it. I've been an anime fan for a long long time, it wasn't until recently that I even really knew anyone else who was into anime, never caused me to isolate myself though.

I think it's really all part of a bigger problem. Anime isn't alone with this type of fan or enthusiast, take MMO's as an example, I can tell you first hand that people literally hand their lives over to these games. I know this simply because my best friend since High School pretty much turned himself in to a shutin due to MMO's over the years and with the release of WoW we pretty much never saw him or heard from him unless we logged online. With the growing digital and connected environment of our society kids isolating themselves from the world and people around them is becoming a larger issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
You're all forgetting the most important thing here.

Where the hell are the kittens?

I came expecting kittens.

P.S. Yes, I read the article, but my opinions vary in agreement and disagreement with those already stated, so I do not feel the need to reiterate any of the previously stated opinions, and just make this statement so that people can try and guess where I stand on the situation, if they deem it worth the thought.

P.P.S. Make with the kittens, or someone gets it! In the kneecaps!
belisarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
That's one heck of a rant. I'm really not sure, however, why it's getting so much praise in terms of composition and argument. The piece is, in my view, poorly written and most of the argument makes leaps of faith where a logical connection ought to be required. Let's take a look at some of the highlights.

Quote:
It can be said that the overwhelming majority of the “New Generation” of western anime/manga fans are simply crude and lazy, and things are simply getting worse.

This being a rant, I'm willing to cut the author some slack for simply making a blanket statement and then offering no evidence (not even anecdotal) to support his claim. None the less, this is a pretty bold assertion. When it comes to laziness, I would suggest that it has more to do with the relative mindset of Americans at present. One need only look at the numbers on child obesity to realize that we, as a nation, are becoming lazier. The problem is hardly limited to anime fans. If the author is referring to anime fandom worldwide, and not just in America, I can offer no informed opinion since my exposure is limited to what I see and read about the American scene. I don't know anything about anime fans in Europe or Latin America. Then again, I suspect the author of the rant doesn't either.

Quote:
The often mindless prattle at Anime Conventions, kids simply making stuff up to be heard or doing the most ridiculous thing for a simple stick of Pocky.

Unfortunately, entertainment targeted at a childish (or at least adolescent) demographic tends to lead to juvenile conversation. Do you show up at conventions expecting teenagers to be discussing the underlying symbolism of Yugi's battle with Kaiba and highlighting the moral emphasis on the hero's inner courage juxtaposed against the bravado of the villain? If you do, I have some bad news for you. It's never going to happen. Anime, as has been repeated over and over and over again, is not created in Japan (at least primarily) for anyone older than teenagers. That does not mean that it will never be thought provoking or innovative. It does mean that for every Paranoia Agent that gets released, there will be 10 Girls Bravo sequels. You can expect the fan base and commentary to follow suit.

Quote:
They shut themselves in their room to watch the next Anime series he or she just pirated off the net while stealing the next one, all in the name of “Supporting” the show in its “True” form. This effectively isolates them from the world around them; all of which contribute to a breakdown in civility.

I'm not even really sure how many different sweeping generalizations the author is making here, or even what conclusions he's trying to draw. My reading of this leads me to believe that the author is asserting that the modern anime fan is an introvert, a hypocrite, a thief, and an uncouth barbarian. I've met anime fans who embody one or maybe two of those qualities, but never all four. I'm sure those types of people are out there, lurking 4chan and foaming with impotent rage over an assortment of minor issues, but I'm equally sure they're a minority.

Quote:
The first generation of anime fans have seemed to lived its prime. I like so many others were before the mainstream indoctrination of the art form. In our time it was the few that followed such unmannered anti-social behaviors and it was the majority that still held decent character and morals. We all strived for the day that anime could become commonplace, however was it worth the sacrifice made. The culture of the Otaku has become ugly, it is a backwards go-no-where cesspool that will lead stagnate and ignorant to the world. With civility, one would understand that anime isn’t a life style, but merely a form of entertainment, and when viewed in this form, it isn’t ugly at all.

Forgive me for quoting the entire final paragraph, but it's so poorly written I'm having difficulty parsing it. I'm not even really sure what the first sentence means. Bonus points must, however, be given to the author for using the word indoctrination. That's a lot of syllables.

The basic claim the author is making in his rant is that the modern anime fan is a social pariah. He is rude not just to his peers in the fan community, but to all those around him. He doesn't get out much. He doesn't shower enough. He steals, he lies, he trolls, and most importantly, he fails to observe even the most basic codes of conduct adhered to by a civilized society.

The only problem with his claim is that most visible evidence seems to refute him. Anime and Fan convention attendance has been on the rise since the early 90s, and continues to rise. If anything, the base of fans is larger and more social than ever before, thanks in no small part to the internet. This is actually the opposite of the trend in Japan, where anime fans, the hard core ones in particular, tend to keep to themselves. A good friend of mine (look kids, anecdotal evidence!) who teaches English in Japan now refuses to read manga because the social stigma attached to doing so among his peers is very negative. Are we all thieves? I would suggest that the largest and most diverse domestic anime market America has ever seen would suggest otherwise. I admit that the market may not be able to support the enormous base of titles currently being distributed, however, this is due at least as much to the anime fan's limited budget as it is his penchant for downloading fan subs.

Of course, no amount of argument is going to dissuade the author from believing in the good ol' days. The days when the socially outcast anime fan bravely championed the cause of acceptance and tolerance among his peers, fearlessly proclaiming his fandom in the most eloquent and thoughtful prose ever composed by modern man. In reality, technology and society have changed the way in which new fans perceive anime, both as an art and a commercial commodity. In the modern paradigm, the larger fan base gives rise to both a more vibrant community and a greater diversity of material to watch. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that tolerance and acceptance of anime in modern society has decreased over the last 20 years. Indeed, the opposite is most likely true.

Perhaps, now that the author lacks a society which seemed to take offense at his hobby, he has chosen instead to target his fellow anime fans that do not adhere to his pious fan ethics.

Disclaimers: I apologize if the author of this week's rant is not a native English speaker. If he isn't, then that's amazingly well written and I retract any negative comments I made about his style and structure. I apologize for not using gender neutral pronouns when referring to third parties; I just don't think it sounds right. You know I love you ladies.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
You know, I don’t think I agree with that rant at all. I’ve been into anime for about 10 years give or take (of course, I casually watched it on TV long before then, like I'm sure we all did), and I remember the fandom being petty and adolescent back then, too. I can’t claim to know what it was like 20 years ago, but very little has actually changed in my eyes since the mid-90s. The same silly arguments were still had, the same stupid rants were still made (including ones eerily similar to the one we’re talking about), and the same stupid kids did and thought and said the same stupid things. I just think that since anime is so widely available now, more kids are into it. The fans he was talking about are most likely so immature and undesirable to have in the fandom because of their age, and not because the culture is deteriorating. I think a lot of his points were grossly incorrect assumptions about the “new” people who watch anime, though. The "ugly" fan is clearly in the minority.

I found this especially funny, “Some Otaku wanting to pick a fight, or one who stand blindly by his views will always interrupt coherent and intelligent debate on the net.” This doesn’t just describe the “new generation” of fans. 10 years ago this was the norm. I bet 20 years ago this was the norm. If he really thinks this is a new thing, he’s just plain wrong.

Really, most of this rant almost sounded like it would come from an “outsider” of the fandom. You know, like when a major news magazine writes up a little article about anime, and they get all kinds of things wrong.

As for people who watch fansubs watching it to “support” the “true” version of anime, that’s ridiculous. The majority of people who watch fansubs are under no such illusions; they know it’s stealing, but it’s free (and fast) anime, so they simply don’t care. Anyone who says otherwise is either in denial or just trying to look good to whoever they happen to be talking to or whichever forum they happen to be posting on. They don’t actually believe it. I believe that to make such a sweeping statement, Jason is mostly likely not at all in touch with the whole fansub “culture,” or he’s only been hearing from those fans in denial about their real reasons for downloading fansubs. Most of all though, I guess I don’t see what exactly fansubs have anything to do with anything. In actuality, most of the “new generation” don’t even download fansubs. It’s something you usually only find out about after being in the fandom for a while.

And finally, as for anime making people “shut themselves up in their rooms,” show me anyone really into a hobby of any kind, and tell me they don’t do the same thing. It isn’t just the “new generation” of fans, and it isn’t just anime, either. Anyway, I don't think that anime is actually causing anti-social behavior; I think if someone has a tendency towards such things, they're going to do it whether anime is there or not. I for instance, have never liked people. I wasn’t all that social before I found anime, and I’m not now, either. Anime has nothing to do with any of it. If I didn’t have anime, I would just find another hobby, as would others, I believe.

As others have said, I think the whole rant basically says, “Back in the good old days, when everyone and their dog wasn’t watching anime, things were better. Things were different. You know, when I was your age...” in a meandering and presumptuous way.

I'm going to end this, because I think I'm starting to ramble. I probably had more points to make, but others have made them already. Anyway, that's my two-cents.

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think it's fair to really completely disagree. Based on some posters we've seen on the anime boards, especially in posts along the lines of "How important is anime to you?" or related posts, we know the types exist. Not to mention conventions aren't the best way to judge because it's only putting members of the same group together and offering up opportunities for the hardcore fans they won't get elsewhere, that doesn't necessarily refute the existence of the fan type mentioned in the rant. If you ask me, posts that we see around here at times confirm the type is there, just not how common the type is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiro.youma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
As far as the rant goes, Jason makes a valid point, however so does every other sociologist, and psycologist when talking about the cause of child obesity. An ugly otaku is no different then a child raised by their tv, and surviving solely on a diet of fast food. These children can also become rude and un civilized thanks to a poor diet, little to no exercise and a lack of socialization. Now the question remains, how do you stop the epidemic. Can you blame Fast food companies for supplying low nutrician food, of fandub groups for offering their shows, or the people them selves for the choices they make?

The rant also reminded me of an event that occured about a month ago. I went to buy a few manga at the book store, however when I tried to get to the section I was looking for, there was a girl around the age of 13 sprawled across the floor, with her bags scattered all around her. This made getting around difficult, so I politely asked if she could move for a second so that I could get by, in responce I was told to back off, as well as being called a few choice names that I didn't appreciate. In the end, as insulted as I was, I dont think this can be blamed on the imature nature of the age group. I have a 12 year old sister that has never said one rude comment, or talked back to anyone. Imaturety is no excuse for rude and offending behaviour.

Overall I think one of the biggest problems is our willingness to tollerate this behaviour. It is the duty of everyone to ensure that this behaviour isnt accepted and blamed on the age level. If that was the case then you could say that murder, or crime is okay because of the ciminals maturety level. This kind of behaviour should not be tollerated by anyone, no matter what the situation is.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, I don't think it's fair to really completely disagree. Based on some posters we've seen on the anime boards, especially in posts along the lines of "How important is anime to you?" or related posts, we know the types exist.

I don't think anyone is saying that type of fan doesn't exist, but that that type of fan isn't a new phenomenon by any means, and that it's not only the "new generation" that acts like that.

shiro.youma wrote:
I don't think this can be blamed on the immature nature of the age group.

But according to Jason, her interest in anime/manga actually had something to do with her behavior. Do you think that's the case?

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
belisarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying that type of fan doesn't exist, but that that type of fan isn't a new phenomenon by any means, and that it's not only the "new generation" that acts like that.

To go a step further, nor is this type of fan representative of the community, or any trends within that community, at large.

shiro.youma wrote:
The rant also reminded me of an event that occured about a month ago. I went to buy a few manga at the book store, however when I tried to get to the section I was looking for, there was a girl around the age of 13 sprawled across the floor, with her bags scattered all around her. This made getting around difficult, so I politely asked if she could move for a second so that I could get by, in responce I was told to back off, as well as being called a few choice names that I didn't appreciate.

And you've probably forgotten the dozens of friendly people who were browsing the manga section on other ocasions. Remember, people who act normally and in a polite fashion don't stick in your mind. They're just background. Your encounter with the rude little girl is probably a once in a year (or less) event, but it's going to stick in your head because it's unusual. Which is a point I think bares repeating again : the social pariah anime fan is the exception, not the rule.
shiro.youma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

But according to Jason, her interest in anime/manga actually had something to do with her behavior. Do you think that's the case?

I don't think that her interest in Anime of Manga is to blame, so much as other possible factors (i.e. raising, diet, peer influence) overall there are too many other contributing factors to blame her behaviour solely on anime.

belisarius wrote:

And you've probably forgotten the dozens of friendly people who were browsing the manga section on other ocasions. Remember, people who act normally and in a polite fashion don't stick in your mind. They're just background. Your encounter with the rude little girl is probably a once in a year (or less) event, but it's going to stick in your head because it's unusual. Which is a point I think bares repeating again : the social pariah anime fan is the exception, not the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I remember most, if not all friendly encounters in the manga section, many of which have led to lasting freindships. However, I mearly stated this example due to its relation with the topic. I personally think it is a good example of the behaviour of certain members in the new generation of Otaku. In no way do I think that this is how all of the otakus in her age group act.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
shiro.youma wrote:
I personally think it is a good example of the behaviour of certain members in the new generation of Otaku. In no way do I think that this is how all of the otakus in her age group act.

Again, I think it should be stressed that this kind of behavior is neither a recent trend, nor is it exclusive to the “new generation,” or to children. This kind of thing has always gone on, and it isn't a product of the current anime culture, or even culture in general. There are rude people in every age group, country, and sub-culture. It has nothing to do with current trends in anime fandom.
shiro.youma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

Again, I think it should be stressed that this kind of behavior is neither a recent trend, nor is it exclusive to the “new generation,” or to children. This kind of thing has always gone on, and it isn't a product of the current anime culture, or even culture in general. There are rude people in every age group, country, and sub-culture. It has nothing to do with current trends in anime fandom.

you make a good point. The reason that this is getting so much attention though, is because it is in our sub-culture. It is somthing that we (and everyone) has to deal with. Another reason we tend to fucus on this group is because of what belisarius said. People do remember the bad times before they remember the good. As a result, someome looking at the otaku sub-culture may see us all as rude and uncivilized, and I don't think anyone here wants that. Therefore I think it is important to fucus on putting a stop to this behaviour.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
DriftRoot reminded me of an interesting point (re: Jason's rant). Technology has changed the means by which fans obtain anime. No longer must you connect (directly) with people or through a club to gain "access", now you can find it entirely on your own. So the socialization (such as it was) has been removed from the process. Don't get me wrong, many of the "gatekeepers" could be (and were) jerks about it and lorded their collections over you as their status symbol, but it forced fans to interact with one another and perform BASIC social interactions in order to get their anime. Today's anime fan can just click a few links and bam, they have something. Just saying that's another step in the process removed.

With that out of the way, I think Jason has failed to make the distinction between anime FANS and the anime MARKET. Maybe it's just a delineation to me, but as anime has become mainstream I think it's important to note the difference. To me, it's like "Spiderman", there are people who are FANS of "Spiderman" probably buy all the comics know all the variations on his backstory and love the characters. Then there are people who saw the movie, many of which probably don't even know how many different Spiderman comics there are (I dunno the number anymore, but like how there were 4 different Spiderman comics at one time). To me, fans can be people who read the comic but aren't obsessive or people who are "otaku" about the comic and probably try to make their own webshooters. But the "market" laughs at anyone over the age of 10 who still reads "comics". They'll see the movie because it has big name actors and is "a good movie" but after they see it they're not particularly fans of the work.

The anime market is the same way, but somewhat differently (in part, but not entirely because of the "age" factor). Right now anime is "popular" (relatively speaking), it is the current "fad" (IMO). Like "Star Wars", anime is currently the "thing" for kids to rally around. To me, the "fans" are the people who 10 years from now will still like and enjoy something like "Full Metal Alchemist". I mean, they don't hafta (still) dress like Ed or plaster their wall with FMA posters, but they'll still speak fondly of the series and discuss it with an interested person or recommend it to another fan. Whereas as casual person in the anime "market" might currently scream about how "kawaii" Inu Yasha is, or might play the fool with his Naruto headband, but in 5 yrs will be wondering "WTF was I thinking?" or otherwise disinterested in what was once "important" to them.

I list specific titles because "anime" is broad enough that 10, 20 or 30 years from now new members of the "market" might latch onto a new "fad" title without "anime" ever really going away (Robotech, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, DBZ, Yugi-Oh, Inu Yasha, Naruto...). Don't get me wrong, there are some "fans" who are total @sses, and there are people I wouldn't classify as "fans" who are perfectly polite and personable. But (IMO) the larger problem is that there are people that if pressed on it really don't give a crap about the hobby. They watch it because their friends watch it, or they've got nothing "better" to do, or it's THE thing to do in their circle of friends atm. Those are the people that weren't "into" anime 10 years ago and won't be "into" it 10 years from now. "Borderline" fans can have it rough because they're something of an outsider, but I think true FANS don't have an issue because fans can recognize genuine interest in their chosen hobby vs. people just marking time. When I was new to anime fandom I never really felt "ostracized", I may have been nervous or shy but never felt I didn't "belong".

A good analogue would be how sports fans b!tch about wealthy corporate execs who can buy great seats at sporting events but don't care about the game. (AFAIK) None of them b!tch about guys like Spike Lee or Jack Nicholson because they don't begrudge those guys their MONEY their offended by people taking their "spot" (good seats) when they don't have any INTEREST. Anime fans (like Jason) are the same way, we can forgive a jerk who is passionate about the hobby (see: Genshiken, Otaku no Video, etc) but we have issues with jerks who are just "there". Ya know?
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
shiro.youma wrote:

you make a good point. The reason that this is getting so much attention though, is because it is in our sub-culture. It is somthing that we (and everyone) has to deal with. Another reason we tend to fucus on this group is because of what belisarius said. People do remember the bad times before they remember the good. As a result, someome looking at the otaku sub-culture may see us all as rude and uncivilized, and I don't think anyone here wants that. Therefore I think it is important to fucus on putting a stop to this behaviour.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I certainly don’t agree with this kind of behavior, but I hope you won’t see me as too much of a cynic when I say it’s simple human nature to be rude at times, that children are especially susceptible to this flaw, and there is no way to put a permanent stop to, or even reduce it.

Anyway, the rant was coming across like the ranter believer that this sort of thing was new or somehow a product of the times. My main point is that it is not. In fact, these same points were being brought up in rants when I was new to the fandom a decade ago. It was the same old, "Back in the old days blah blah blah. I don't much care for this new blah blah blah..." stuff.
shiro.youma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I certainly don’t agree with this kind of behavior, but I hope you won’t see me as too much of a cynic when I say it’s simple human nature to be rude at times, that children are especially susceptible to this flaw, and there is no way to put a permanent stop to, or even reduce it.

Anyway, the rant was coming across like the ranter believer that this sort of this was new or somehow a product of the times. My main point is that it is not. In fact, these same points were being brought up in rants when I was new to the fandom a decade ago. It was the same old, "Back in the old days blah blah blah. I don't much care for this new blah blah blah..." stuff.

I definatly agree with you that this isn't a new problem. However I do disgree that it cannot be stopped. Personally I can't stand that people allow this behaviour to go on by making excuses for it, and saying that it will always continue. If that is the case, why are some children rude when others are not. sure children are suseptable to this behaviour, but so are adults. The plain fact that not everyone acts this way, is proof that we are capable of stopping this behaviour.
to say that we cannot even reduce this behaviour is impossible for me to believe and depressing to hear the people think that way. If someone cannot learn by exapmle there are other methods. people have been known to change their behaviour when outcasted by society. This is seen in prison through solitary confinement, and in nature when a misbehaving young horse is forced to fend for themselves. DOn't get me wrong. I don't think that we should lock up everyone with a bad personality but i do think that by not giving them the time of day, it can help to improve their behaviour.
By giving up and saying things will never change, you are allowing this behaviour to go on, when it cna be stopped. This may be the reason that the same thing has been going on for so many years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7