• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Gwen Stefani enamored with mangs/anime = Cute but Kayne West enamored with mangs/anine = a mockery. Rolling Eyes

Racial undertones??? Of couse not! Rolling Eyes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
How about we stay on topic and not start crying "racism!" at everything under the sun, shall we? It's never settled an argument, and it's never stayed civil. I will not allow this thread to degenerate into flaming and name-calling (oe, that last comment came a little close).

Kanye West. Manga. Manga-styled comic books. Stray from these topics and this thread gets the lock. Got it? I hope you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lazuline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Let the ridiculous elitism begin.

Waiting for heavy amounts of people bashing not only KanYe West but also hiphop in general and everything else that's popular.

\\\
Zac, use your psychic powers to prognosticate me some lotto numbers.
\\\
\\\
Personally, if Hillary Duff were to be making a manga I think you would have gotten a similar response (i.e. "stupid white-pop idol! What does she think she is? Wapanese? reto ji reinu faru daun my arse!!").
\\\
Or remember the Christian propaganda manga "Serenity" that was a news article a couple months ago?
\\\
people who feel they must uphold the sanctity of manga are drawn to these topics like red states to a campaign based upon Moral Issues and Family Values.
\\\
i.e
\\\
"Curse these unholy unions of Japanese are American urban culture! The bible clearly states that manga is defined as the union between a Japanese mangaka and a Japanese publisher."
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
We need acts like the Kanyeezy's, the Common's, the Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, the Dilated Peoples, the Jurassic 5's, The Alchemist, Jin, Busta Rhymes, Missy Elliot, the Fugees and other socially conscience rappers out there to help balance out the spectrum.

Yeah, because "My Humps" has a very important message to spread. Please.

Stefnick wrote:
anime_123 wrote:
patch wrote:
I also think that's obviously not manga, it's going to be an american comic that is not even going to be illustrated by someone who has any sort of manga influences or ties.

I agree with you there, either way, Kayne West + Manga does not match.

I'm just wondering why it can't match. Like people said before manga basicly means comic book in japanese. And plus he said manga-like comic. Ya know your really putting me down. All these people saying it can't be manga or consider manga if it's not made in Japan. But many people call Korean comicbooks manga. I haven't heard anybody complaining about that. Anyway what the heck do you mean by "influences or ties". Is it so wrong for someone in the US (or any place other than japan) to create a graphic novel and have it recongized as a manga without people bashing you. It's not that deep.

Yes, yes it is wrong. It's not manga. I'm not japanese, so I can't say whether they do refer to all comics as manga in japan, but I am an american so I can say it is wrong to refer to all comics as manga here. And have you ever seen anything drawn by Bill Plympton? It's one thing to try to imitate the japanese art style and try to call it manga, but Bill Plympton ain't even close.

Grimmstone wrote:
Gwen Stefani enamored with mangs/anime = Cute but Kayne West enamored with mangs/anine = a mockery. Rolling Eyes

Racial undertones??? Of couse not! Rolling Eyes

Actually she always irritated me with that too. I hate it when people randomly use japanese words.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Six pages of anime nerds debating how much more "hip" they are with pop culture than others. Wonderful.

Kanye making manga? Great. One of the few original rappers these days anyways, and making a manga-style comic is pretty original for a black dude yo!
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:30 am Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Six pages of anime nerds debating how much more "hip" they are with pop culture than others. Wonderful.

Sayeth the guy with 300 posts here. Wink

Successful_Troll wrote:

Yes, yes it is wrong. It's not manga. I'm not japanese, so I can't say whether they do refer to all comics as manga in japan, but I am an american so I can say it is wrong to refer to all comics as manga here. And have you ever seen anything drawn by Bill Plympton? It's one thing to try to imitate the japanese art style and try to call it manga, but Bill Plympton ain't even close.

Actually, all mangs are referred to as "manga" in Japan and all anime is referred to as "anime". I've even heard "Wacky Racers" and "The Impossibles" (not to be confused with The Incredibles) referred to as anime.
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
ponlork wrote:
We need acts like the Kanyeezy's, the Common's, the Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, the Dilated Peoples, the Jurassic 5's, The Alchemist, Jin, Busta Rhymes, Missy Elliot, the Fugees and other socially conscience rappers out there to help balance out the spectrum.

Yeah, because "My Humps" has a very important message to spread. Please.

Black eyed peas is all about positivity, having fun and making feel good music opposed to the whole "fucc a snitch Fucc a cop kill a bitch eat a dicc all day fucc bitchez aint shit but hoes ‘n tricks kill a nigga bang bang shoot a nigga bang bang" type music dominating the industry you feel me? Sure some of Black eyed peas songs are more party oriented and meaningless but they've known to make some deep and political joints such as "Where is the love" and "The APL Song". That's what I meant about we need more acts like those that aren't filled with hatred promoting violence or glorifying gangs. But I think there's room for everybody, the gangstaz, the nerds like Kanye and Pharrell, the political and commercial rappers too because I feel it’s better to have a wide array of styles to choose from similar to the anime culture, i rather we have a large selection of titles to choose from such as drama, romance, action comedy titles geared for kids teens adults boys girls gays etc even if it’s not my cup of tea I like that there’s a large selection because that's one of the reasons why anime is so appealing, it's not limited to a certain genre like with American cartoons and comicbooks u dig what im sayin?
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
u dig what im sayin?

No, not really. Why is it that once someone logs on to the internet they feel that there's no longer any need to try to write coherently?
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
ponlork wrote:
u dig what im sayin?

No, not really. Why is it that once someone logs on to the internet they feel that there's no longer any need to try to write coherently?

well it's sort of like when your around your peers some folks might talk more casual then formal. Maybe i'm not as eloquent or well spoken as some of you cats but I feel I can articulate my thoughts easier if I didn't put too much emphasis on grammar punctuation and spelling. if somebody is more comfortable typing a certain way on the innernet then I aint gonna hate. Whatever you prefer
xSUiT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting, I guess I'll wait and see how this turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jayn-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
Why must he sully everything...

I wish he would just die already. No, really I do.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Grimmstone wrote:

Actually, all mangs are referred to as "manga" in Japan and all anime is referred to as "anime". I've even heard "Wacky Racers" and "The Impossibles" (not to be confused with The Incredibles) referred to as anime.

Really? I'd say almost every time I've heard the Japanese talk about animation in Japan like on TV shows for example, they say "animation". From my experience, the Western world uses the term "anime" when talking of their shows, not them.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
but I feel I can articulate my thoughts easier if I didn't put too much emphasis on grammar punctuation and spelling.

Mmmm, too bad we have a rule requiring a proper exercise of grammar and spelling (or as best as you can do), because some people's "styles" are so illegible no one can understand them.

You dig what I'm sayin'?

Jayn-sempai wrote:
Why must he sully everything...

I wish he would just die already. No, really I do.

And you disgust me. Get the hell off of these forums, you horrible troll and horrible person. Wishing that much against someone just because you don't find their music palatable, what the hell is wrong with you?

Last edited by Nagisa on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
Jerseymilk wrote:
Grimmstone wrote:

Really? I'd say almost every time I've heard the Japanese talk about animation in Japan like on TV shows for example, they say "animation". From my experience, the Western world uses the term "anime" when talking of their shows, not them.

I guess it depends on where you live in the country, they use different terminology.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
Seems like West brings ire to whatever he is up to. On the RHCP board when the band wanted him for an opening act for them, some of the members were crying blood mary when he was asked, regardless of the fact that the peppers had other hip hop artists open for them AND that they were heavily influenced by funk, hip hop, punk, and blues.

And to manga. And here on ANN.com Wow what and where next? Laughing

But regardless, I think we should all just relax and just wait and see if his new venture into manga is good or not. And if you don't like him, fine. If you like him, fine. But lets not get all judgmental on his new venture since the manga isn't even out.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8