• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Analysis of Isekai and Self-Indulgent Fantasies

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
A question i have had for a long time regarding Isekai but one that i feel should be discussed for the artistic progression of the medium

Why, from a metatextual and subtextual reading of the media, are a good chunk if not a majority of Isekai designed to self validate the fantasies and views of it's audience and not, say, deconstruct those same fantasies or to provide commentary.

Examples I give of self indulgence are Shield Hero and Arifureta. Both are supposedly about underdogs but they are written and set up in such a way that the "underdogs" actually have powers comparable or greater than their antagonists. In addition, there is a common thread of validating negative behaviors by having the protagonist be "spited" by the world or other characters: Naofumi being framed and the lead of Arifureta being thrown into an underground labyrinth. Finally, there is the angle of being paired with a "waifu" character, Yue for Arifureta and Raphtalia for Shield hero despite, at least in Shield Hero's case, the treatment of Raphtalia in early days and their interaction are tinged in uncomfortable subtext.

To summerize my point, I find a good chunk of isekai to be self indulgent and self validating fantasies for the audience rather than aspiring for say, exploration of personal and cultural ideals using a different world as a comparison point, or using an isekai to explore maturation and personal growth
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Why, from a metatextual and subtextual reading of the media, are a good chunk if not a majority of Isekai designed to self validate the fantasies and views of it's audience and not, say, deconstruct those same fantasies or to provide commentary.

This is the classic problem with any sort of genre fiction. Some of it is groundbreaking, poignant, and provides meaningful commentary. Other examples--dare I say most of it--is simply meant to be entertaining, and nothing more.

For example, I happen to enjoy the Cyberpunk genre. Many of the works in that genre have fantastic social commentary and explore a lot of very real issues, have compex and dynamic characters, etc--and I certainly appreciate that. But sometimes I don't care about all that--I'm not in the mood to watch something heavy, and instead it's just fun to watch my favorite characters kick some cyborg butt.

Not everything has to be meaningful in an academic sense--especially not late-night cartoons whose raison d'être is to advertise manga, toys, or light novels--and that doesn't mean we can't enjoy them for what they are, either.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drifter24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
A question i have had for a long time regarding Isekai but one that i feel should be discussed for the artistic progression of the medium

Examples I give of self indulgence are Shield Hero and Arifureta. Both are supposedly about underdogs but they are written and set up in such a way that the "underdogs" actually have powers comparable or greater than their antagonists. In addition, there is a common thread of validating negative behaviors by having the protagonist be "spited" by the world or other characters: Naofumi being framed and the lead of Arifureta being thrown into an underground labyrinth. Finally, there is the angle of being paired with a "waifu" character, Yue for Arifureta and Raphtalia for Shield hero despite, at least in Shield Hero's case, the treatment of Raphtalia in early days and their interaction are tinged in uncomfortable subtext.

To summerize my point, I find a good chunk of isekai to be self indulgent and self validating fantasies for the audience rather than aspiring for say, exploration of personal and cultural ideals using a different world as a comparison point, or using an isekai to explore maturation and personal growth

The guy above me more or less answered your question but I'll just chime in to add the economic incentives to why isekai anime are the way they are. When it comes to the isekai genre there is very much a blueprint for economic success that any potential writer can use to make it big(or at least pay the rent lol). The wishful fulfillment isekai are not only easier to write than the "deep" and "self exploratory" stories you described but tend to very popular as well. Add the fact that anime in general appeals to younger audiences its easy to see why most choose to go with the wishful fulfillment route. Summer anime seasons tend to be chalk full of these things since many young potential audiences will be be looking for something like them to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1