Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh! My Goddess Pre-Order for $29


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 22 Feb 2004
Posts: 740
Location: San Francisco, California

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh so tempting, but I don't love the series enough to worry about getting it ASAP and to save $10. Anime hyper; Neat offer, though. I think I'll buy this version of the series. Glad I waited!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mylene
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 2764
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
*stares at the 5 subtitled VHS that cost $29.95 each, and the 2 DVDs on shelf*

Just a little frustrated that I have about $175 invested in a FIVE episode OAV. But if I hadn't already purchased the DVD versions, I'd be quite pleased to get this new addition. I like extras. Just not enough to spend an additional $30 (it was $15 apiece, right?) to upgrade after already spending so much on it.

Great way to keep interest in the series, OAV and television.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 3458
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Like the newer versions of the Patlabor movies, this falls under the category of "would be nice to have, but..."

I've spent... roughest of estimates... $250 Canadian buying the same 5 episodes twice already (on hybrid Laserdisc back in 1997 and then on DVD in 2001 or whenever), and I'm just not currently in a financial situation where I'm ready to buy them a third time, especially when whatever the macroblocking problems that people with the super-elite plasma TV set-ups notice with the older DVDs just don't show up on my mid-1990s Sony Trinitron.

Maybe I'll care more when I have a TV on which I can notice the visual problems, but that's not in the cards anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1795
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
*stares at the 5 subtitled VHS that cost $29.95 each, and the 2 DVDs on shelf*

Just a little frustrated that I have about $175 invested in a FIVE episode OAV. But if I hadn't already purchased the DVD versions, I'd be quite pleased to get this new addition. I like extras. Just not enough to spend an additional $30 (it was $15 apiece, right?) to upgrade after already spending so much on it.

Great way to keep interest in the series, OAV and television.


An additional $30? No, just $15. The new release is all five episodes plus extras on three discs in one set, not two separately sold discs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
HigeHeartsBlue



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I'd rather just buy the new set than upgrade. I can't stand the thought of having to give up the two dvds I just bought a week ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
slickwataris



Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 1334
Location: Carol Stream, Illinois

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
So 3rd disc is all extras? I'll just Best Buy it, no doubt be cheaper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 2764
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Mylene wrote:
*stares at the 5 subtitled VHS that cost $29.95 each, and the 2 DVDs on shelf*

Just a little frustrated that I have about $175 invested in a FIVE episode OAV. But if I hadn't already purchased the DVD versions, I'd be quite pleased to get this new addition. I like extras. Just not enough to spend an additional $30 (it was $15 apiece, right?) to upgrade after already spending so much on it.

Great way to keep interest in the series, OAV and television.


An additional $30? No, just $15. The new release is all five episodes plus extras on three discs in one set, not two separately sold discs.


I have no idea why I wrote that (when I initially read the info, I knew it was just $15), except that my mind was shutting down for bed. But thank you for clarifying what my tired mind seemed incapable of comprehending...and it wasn't even all that late.

Might talk to the husband about upgrading, since we only spent $15 each on the other DVDs. Then again, maybe not, since that would mean we had "paid" $45 for an item that is retailing for $39.95, plus having to add on additional shipping charges. I'll just hope for the best that we don't upgrade to a nice t.v. for many, many years. Which is quite likely going to be the case anyway. :p
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nailszz6



Joined: 18 Jun 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
McHellYa! (sorry went to McDonalds this morning).

I'm excited for the collectors edition. Ordering this right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 3748
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...that is tempting. I bought mine a good while back. Hell, they're still in their original packaging. "Mint" anyone? Razz

Don't know what the extras would be worth though. I'll have to check it out when it's on the store shelves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jaybug39



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 552
Location: Oregon, Is it FOOTBALL yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone notice when the shipments will be? I mean this is a pre-order right? So when would we watching our mailboxes, or waiting for the guy in brown? Late, June, July, next week?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
Azumangaman



Joined: 02 Dec 2005
Posts: 256
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This is incorrect. This isn't a pre-order. Animeigo states they just got their first batch and they're ready to ship!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
psychopuppet



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
I ordered mine Friday it shipped Friday 30 minutes after I ordered and is scheduled for delivery 05-09-06 which is tomorrow .
I have to say this I've never had anything ship out that fast I'm impressed.
I'm really glad I waited on getting the OVA now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
parabellum



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
It comes in gate fold box, just like those Hong Kong Pirate copies.

felt little weird seeing the legit DVD coming in this type of Packaging.

the Video quality seems to be better (or is it just my imagination?) the shakiness seems to be gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7232
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:
It comes in gate fold box, just like those Hong Kong Pirate copies.

felt little weird seeing the legit DVD coming in this type of Packaging.

the Video quality seems to be better (or is it just my imagination?) the shakiness seems to be gone.
How unusual to see legit DVD quality to be better than HK bootlegs. So uncommon, and I bet that AnimEigo copied their packaging as well too. Is there no respect among theves? Rolling Eyes
Where's the gaoler when we need 'im then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steventheeunuch



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 2973
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
parabellum wrote:
It comes in gate fold box, just like those Hong Kong Pirate copies.

felt little weird seeing the legit DVD coming in this type of Packaging.

the Video quality seems to be better (or is it just my imagination?) the shakiness seems to be gone.
How unusual to see legit DVD quality to be better than HK bootlegs. So uncommon, and I bet that AnimEigo copied their packaging as well too. Is there no respect among theves? Rolling Eyes
Where's the gaoler when we need 'im then?


Yeah, how dare people make observations! They must aspire to be master of DVD details like yourself! Any less is foolishness!

Seriously, he's saying it's unusual for legit companies to use gatefold. This is inaccurate but still, it's a simple observation. Stop shoving fan-dick into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group