• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-HiME GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, manga adaptations of popular anime series, why must you always be so ... divergent?

I don't know that it is quite accurate to call this manga an adaptation of the anime. It started running at the same time as the anime and I think the video game was released around the same time. In this case, I think all of them were given the characters (though the game has a few extras that aren't in the others) and the premise and told to make something with it.

Quote:
In fact, don't expect any supplemental material here, in the back of the book or anywhere. At least the paper and print quality are decent, with most of the artwork coming out sharply except for the grayscaled watercolor pages (slightly blurred, especially at the beginning).

Er, mine has a one page interview with Mai Nakara (Mai's seiyu in the anime) and another with the producer of the anime.

As for the review itself, I agree with it. I'm a big fan of the anime (aside from one particular aspect of it, namely spoiler[the last episode]) and it was almost painful to read this volume. I was knew it wasn't going to be as good as the anime and wasn't expecting much from it and it still disapointed me.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
God, Mai looks on the cover like she's smuggling watermelons in her shirt, she was nicely stacked all right in the anime, but the cover looks like it's actually a volume of some hentai manga Shocked

I love the anime and I was able to tolerate the amount of fanservice it had, but I've heard that the manga is way over the top in this aspect, so I think I'm going to pass and stick with the anime instead.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard the My-HiME manga is worse than the anime but the Mai-Otome manga is better than the Mai-Otome anime.

I've flipped through my copy and while I might not enjoy it a lot, I'll be getting it for the sake of getting it.
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm staying away from this. All I needed to hear was that spoiler[Natsuke lusts after Tate]. I'm almost afraid this is going to turn into a harem with Tate in the middle of it.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This review is kinder than I would have imagined it would be. I'm a big Mai-Hime fan, but there were things that really turned me off to the manga. The fanservice in the anime was goofy, the kind you could roll your eyes about and continue with the redeemable plot. But the manga was saturated by panty shots and ecchi (not to mention Nao's actions toward ending...). And it just gets worse in later chapters. Turning Yuichi from a love interest to harem master really undermines the girl characters' independence.
One thing I did like- how the tensions and competition between the girls was more on the surface than the anime. It's not enough to bring me into the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else get the impression that their copy was printed on a much lower grade of paper than normal Tokyopop books? Mine seemed almost like newsprint!
astra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I can't stop staring at Mai's boobs on the cover. First of all there's the problem with the clothing- it looks like a Greek statue. The fabric seems thin and sticks to her boob area like latex but it's thick and loose around her tummy. Then there's the actual shape of the boob. It looks like it is thin around the base near the torso and then gets fatter. That could be incredibly painful! However, her boob also points upward, giving it the appearance of either being hard (in order to stick up like that) or having some bone in it. What...

Sorry. I just needed to post this.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper You have no idea how amusing I found astra's post just then. Speaking out what we were all thinking, there's the way. Well, that's why she's bent over on the cover, anyway...the things must weigh a ton each!
I actually read some of the My-HiME when it was being scanlated after hearing such fantastic praise for the anime. I thought the manga had come first, you see. I thought I'd just read volume one.
It was so terrible, I only read four chapters. I just...couldnt sympathise with anyone, everyone seemed boring and the fights just seemed to randomly happen. I got the impression that the artists desperately wanted to draw monster hentai when the girls are being attacked. It made me lose interest in this franchise for good.
However in October I caught the first two episodes at an anime convention and was very surprised. Mai is the main character, and not just some random boobs with a girl attached to them, Generic-Love-Interest-of-Main-Character? (Also, Tate is the main character in the manga, it seemed...) I found the anime very cute and fun to watch, and there were a lot of laughs in it too. I dont think I'd be saying that about the manga.
Seems I'm not the only one. Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
I'm almost afraid this is going to turn into a harem with Tate in the middle of it.

That's basically what happense in the first volume. spoiler[He ends up rooming with Mai and Mikoto after his room gets blown up by Kagatsuchi (and only his room; the rest of the aparment was fine) and then later Natsuki has to room with them also]
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
[Off-topic from the review.]

Speaking of anime to manga adaptions, are there any that someone can recall where the original material is outdone? FLCL, Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon, etc. are poor and disappointing compared to their animated counterparts, so I really can't recall reading any manga that was of comparable/superior quality to its anime.
Akukame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know that it is quite accurate to call this manga an adaptation of the anime. It started running at the same time as the anime and I think the video game was released around the same time. In this case, I think all of them were given the characters (though the game has a few extras that aren't in the others) and the premise and told to make something with it.

I'm not sure about the videogame, but atleast for the anime and manga, that was how it was done. But the manga authors were supposedly given some characters and the basic character relations. As well as a setting and some common plot points and themes. Then the two authors were basically just told to fill in the blanks. Specifically trying to be divergent.

Though I do agree it just ends up being fanservicy.
Mic85

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Personally i liked the manga a whole lot better than the anime, just makes more of the lore fit together (will never forget when Nagi shows how orphans are made) and the characters are a lot better fleshed out.
And having seen the anime first the big bad was a complete surprise

The best part though is the fact that it fits almost seamlessly with the my-otome series (or at least it is explained).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1