• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baccano! Blu-ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I own this already and the DVDs looked fine on my TV, so I'm not going to bother with an extra-less HD release I don't even have a player to play on yet. But if you don't own it, or you notice video stuff more than I do, sure, get it!

Query, though: does it alter any of the subtitling? I was not a fan of Funimation keeping in Japanese honorifics in its subtitles, or in the all-white, which sometimes blended into the background. It might not be enough to pay out another $60 on Baccano! (especially in the year where I am budgeting to buy all of Revolutionary Girl Utena) but it would definitely make me thinking highly of Aniplex if they were to re-work bugs and not just slap Funimation's work onto a slightly cleaned-up video.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Flimsy box? Blegh. I really like the hardbound box that came with volume 1, so I guess I'll be sticking with that.

Although, I'll admit, the rather fair price tag definitely tempted me.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Query, though: does it alter any of the subtitling? I was not a fan of Funimation keeping in Japanese honorifics in its subtitles, or in the all-white, which sometimes blended into the background. It might not be enough to pay out another $60 on Baccano! (especially in the year where I am budgeting to buy all of Revolutionary Girl Utena) but it would definitely make me thinking highly of Aniplex if they were to re-work bugs and not just slap Funimation's work onto a slightly cleaned-up video.

I popped in the first disc the other day. Didn't notice any honorifics in the subtitles. Do they even use honorifics in this shows dialogue? I'd compare it to the FUNimation DVD's, but I gave them away upon announcement of the BD box. I'd assume they used a completely different set of subtitles as there are no translations for the episode titles in the previews.

The "slightly cleaned-up video" does make quite the difference along with the LPCM stereo. If you are a big fan of Baccano! you will want to get this sometime in the future.

EDIT: they use -sama in the second episode. My bad.
braves

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Yeah, if you look at the back of the 2nd Blu-ray box, you'll see that FUNimation is credited with providing both the dub and the subtitle track. So every -san or -sama that was originally there is retained. The subs are easier to read than FUNimation's usual subtitles, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
I don't think the box is that flimsy. Yea I would like a nice chipboard box like other collectors do, but it does its job and looks nice. That is all that matters to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
Didn't think they'd be reviewing this, but I'm sure as hell glad they did--ever since I got FUNi's original complete series a little under a year ago, Baccano! has been one of my top 5 favorite anime. Cool

I pre-ordered this box the day it was announced, but had to cancel it in light of other purchases. Luckily, though, I ordered it again the other day, and it shipped off last night--should be to me early next week. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of the blu-ray, so good to hear it reinforced here. A series as great as this deserves a great HD version.

I do plan on importing the JP version sometime in the distant future(for a number of reasons, including improved packaging/text-heavy info booklet/craft paper poster of the box art it comes with), but until then, no doubt I'm gonna be totally content with this version.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
I already bought the DVD release as it came out a couple years ago along with the collector's box for it so I had to pass on getting this one. If I had the extra money I would've totally gone for it, but I'm already spending enough on Utena and figurines this year.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
I watched this originally via Netflix and had always intended to pick it up, but never did. When I heard it was an upscale and that they did not have the Funi 5.1 mix for the dub, (I'm a big fan of 5.1 mixes vs. 2.0), I was just going to pick up the Funi release until someone showed me some comparison screen shots - it appears Aniplex knows how to do upscales right! I went ahead and ordered it this week from TRSI.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

I do plan on importing the JP version sometime in the distant future(for a number of reasons, including improved packaging/text-heavy info booklet/craft paper poster of the box art it comes with), but until then, no doubt I'm gonna be totally content with this version.

Dude.....WHY!? It's the exact same set. Even the outer box hasn't a lick of difference on it.

The only difference is, the JP version is $400.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It all takes place in the fictionalized Prohibition-era America of films like The Untouchables and Bonnie and Clyde,

Well wrong generation of films, more like Little Caesar, Scarface (1932), and White Heat.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

The copy Aniplex sent me literally just has a new UPC pasted over the Japanese one. It's the exact same set.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Dude.....WHY!? It's the exact same set. Even the outer box hasn't a lick of difference on it.

Zac wrote:

The copy Aniplex sent me literally just has a new UPC pasted over the Japanese one. It's the exact same set.
Eh, not quite.

This unboxing topic over at livejournal, and a couple of peepz I've talked to over at Mania(who imported the JP version) have brought up a number of differences. The chipboard, the digipak, the CP poster, and--most importantly for me--the booklet.

Thanks for tryin' to keep me from throwing $$$ at an exact copy of something I'm already getting, though. Laughing
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Really, the JP set isn't the same set. The discs are the same, but the box is chipboard, the discs are in a digipak instead of standard blu-ray cases, and there's the booklet. I think I'd know, since I pre-ordered it long before the US release was announced. As for price, yes, preorder discounts are long gone, so it's extremely expensive now. (I paid about $230 at the end of January) Frankly, at this point, I really don't think its worth an extra $300 or so for chipboard and a booklet. And no, you're definitely not getting any poster now.

As for any UPC codes, it's on the Obi strip (the dull gold colored wraparound). Considering the text on the JP strip is almost entirely in Japanese, while the US one is entirely in English, I don't think they're too hard to tell apart. They probably just put on the UPC as a sticker, same as they did with the R.O.D set.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I don't think the box is that flimsy. Yea I would like a nice chipboard box like other collectors do, but it does its job and looks nice. That is all that matters to me.

Sure it definitely looks nice but I still agree with the review that this "box" is flimsy as hell. It's like it could fall apart any minute.

Actually I pretty much found myself agreeing with everything in this review, this is definitely worth picking up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Yeah, if you look at the back of the 2nd Blu-ray box, you'll see that FUNimation is credited with providing both the dub and the subtitle track. So every -san or -sama that was originally there is retained. The subs are easier to read than FUNimation's usual subtitles, though.

Makes me wonder why they couldn't get sign translations for the title cards then? The episode titles aren't the hardest to read, but I can't try to decipher them in a quick glance because of their length. At least they are translated at the beginning of each episode for us.

John Casey wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

$272 on CD Japan (it's currently 10% off). If you couldn't already tell, Sano is EXTREMELY passionate about this title. This is a quite a rare situation that he's in, but I can completely understand where he's coming from. I'd compare it to importing the R.O.D BD box for the audio commentaries, but it wouldn't be the same because it lacks any sort of English. Sano just want's the best.

hissatsu01 wrote:
And no, you're definitely not getting any poster now.

Was the poster a store exclusive or something? First pressing? I don't remember it being listed as a limited item.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3