• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daily Video: Fan-Created 'Ghibli World' in Minecraft

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
I have a good friend that spends a lot of time on Minecraft. He keeps trying to get me into it but I'm still resistant. The game seems interesting and I acknowledge that it retains its blocky and low-end retro look because of how expansive of a world you have to work with. However I just can't get the look of it past me, more of an idealized look I have in mind but still the same functionality is outside realistic practicality.

A lot of Minecraft players do seem to be anime fans, hence the Ghibli dedicated one. The MC forum even has tons of people creating and posting "skins" for their avatar to make them look like anime characters, or an anime-inspired design.
gothung

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
1. Awesome, but...
2. It's hard to recognize the highly detailed Ghibli worlds when converted to simple blocks. I only recognized parts of the video by the sheer "uniqueness" of the scene (ie: Howl's Moving Castle") or by the music. The scenes are still cool, especially if you realize how much work it would have taken to build them, but you lose that bonus of it being recognizable as a Ghibli world.

I won't say that this person had WAY too much time on their hands... that's almost a given with any serious Minecraft devotee, but I'm just saying, it'd be even more awesome if he/she or someone spent a little more time to put together a compilation reel of the actual Ghibli scenes so people can do a comparison, or even a side by side.
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
It looked pretty cool, given the fact it is made out of blocks.

Sort of similar to a picture of a LEGO "Ghibli World" I saw in a LEGO magazine.

I don't think my computer is even powerful enough to run Minecraft.

Anyways, yes the person has a lot of time on his hands, but is pretty darn creative.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to stay far away from Minecraft, not because of the graphics, which I love the retroness of, but because it looks like an unholy time-sink...and this certainly must've been, although it's absolutely an incredible piece of work.
ladyvoid

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I know this guy who did the same exact thing in minecraft, and his username is Oz workshop as well... but he lives here, in California. Is this just a coincedence? Strange.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Nothing can escape the Minecraft. I found this video to me one of the more impressive works, they did a really good job with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Two words: ABSOLUTELY. AWESOME. PERIOD.

Now if only someone could rise to the challenge of making these into RPG Maker. This is seriously amazing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1